Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 08-11-2008, 03:27 PM   #16
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookishDreamer View Post
I can't believe I actually did an internet search for this.

(gotta clear out my web history or the office tech guys will fall down laughing the next time they work on my computer)
Dreamer
oh my. oh... my.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 04:04 PM   #17
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Quote:

(gotta clear out my web history or the office tech guys will fall down laughing the next time they work on my computer)
Dreamer
Hey! That belongs over in the squirrel thread!
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-11-2008, 04:42 PM   #18
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Quote:

Dreamer
I LOVE that commercial!!! That was on the World's Funniest Commercials show and I damn near split my pants I laughed so hard.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 04:43 PM   #19
BookishDreamer
Cultural Artist
BookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony 505, Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post
Hey! That belongs over in the squirrel thread!
Done! Check it out.

Dreamer
BookishDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 05:14 PM   #20
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Quote:
Done! Check it out.

Dreamer
Thanks! can't let the little bastiches get the upper hand. Pandas are bad enough.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-11-2008, 05:20 PM   #21
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Skwerl View Post
You know what you maybe right I'm gonna have to change my name to Farting Skwerl or something. Do you suppose a Skwerl farts and it smells like roasted nuts? I dont know.
Oh God, I love the smell of freshly roasting nuts!

Now I'll never be able to smell them again without......OH CRAP! Thanks a LOT!
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 06:12 PM   #22
BookishDreamer
Cultural Artist
BookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony 505, Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
Oh God, I love the smell of freshly roasting nuts!

Now I'll never be able to smell them again without......OH CRAP! Thanks a LOT!
no no no...watch the video and and then you'll associate roasted nuts with cool minty freshness! That's not so bad, now is it?

Dreamer
BookishDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 06:31 PM   #23
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse
Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 500, 505, 350, Kindle 3, DXG, nook, Irex DR800SG, iPad
At my house we are having a scratch and sniff party courtesy of this book:

Scratch and Sniff: Party
by DK Publishing

Festive sights and scents await in Scratch & Sniff: Party! Each spread features a large, long-lasting scent area, while simple text and thought-provoking questions encourage curiosity.

P.S. Rumor has it that the next PRS-505 firmware update will incorporate scratch and sniff technology. PRS-500 owners are out of luck though, scratch and sniff technology uses to much memory.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	51FVJAXZT7L._SL500_BO2,204,203,200_PIlitb-dp-500-arrow,TopRight,45,-64_OU01_AA240_SH20_.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	19.3 KB
ID:	15119  
Madam Broshkina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 06:40 PM   #24
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse
Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 500, 505, 350, Kindle 3, DXG, nook, Irex DR800SG, iPad
Google Book Search now smells better

In the process of scanning and storing images of pages from over a million books, we've benefited from the fact that the book is, generally speaking, a relatively uniform medium. Most books are a bound collection of flat pages, and the variations between volumes lie primarily in page size and number of pages. Our scanning processes work well for almost all of these titles -- we scan the images, clean them up, and present them for view on the Web.

But a small subset of books possess peculiarities that make them hard for us to archive. For example, we hit a snag when trying to scan pop-up books, how would one properly present a pop-up book in a browser? We've faced similar problems in scanning and displaying Braille books and flip books.

However, today I'm pleased to let you know that we've made some headway with one type of volume we've struggled with in the past: books employing scratch-and-sniff technology. Using special equipment and tricky JavaScript, we're now able to capture some of the smells during the scanning process and then embed them in your web browser when you preview these titles in Google Book Search.

http://booksearch.blogspot.com/2008/...ls-better.html
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	scratch and sniffee.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	35.3 KB
ID:	15120  
Madam Broshkina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 06:41 PM   #25
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
no no no...watch the video and and then you'll associate roasted nuts with cool minty freshness! That's not so bad, now is it?

Dreamer
I did watch the video, and lets just say I'm glad there was no one sleeping in my house. Now THAT was funny!
But I'll still miss the smell of freshly roasted nuts......
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 06:59 PM   #26
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madam Broshkina View Post
At my house we are having a scratch and sniff party courtesy of this book:

Scratch and Sniff: Party
by DK Publishing

Festive sights and scents await in Scratch & Sniff: Party! Each spread features a large, long-lasting scent area, while simple text and thought-provoking questions encourage curiosity.

P.S. Rumor has it that the next PRS-505 firmware update will incorporate scratch and sniff technology. PRS-500 owners are out of luck though, scratch and sniff technology uses to much memory.
well that settles it, i'm getting a sony. i've been waiting for a reader with scratch and sniff technology.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 07:40 PM   #27
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madam Broshkina View Post
However, today I'm pleased to let you know that we've made some headway with one type of volume we've struggled with in the past: books employing scratch-and-sniff technology.
Did you ever notice that some of your text book titles at school had the distinct aroma of vomit about them. I always wondered about that (Was it the paper? Was it the glue? Was it because someone had vomited on everyone's text book of that title, as some kind of critique of the content?).

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 07:56 PM   #28
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Quote:
Originally Posted by montsnmags View Post
Did you ever notice that some of your text book titles at school had the distinct aroma of vomit about them. I always wondered about that (Was it the paper? Was it the glue? Was it because someone had vomited on everyone's text book of that title, as some kind of critique of the content?).

Cheers,
Marc
Now that you mention it .... yes. I never much thought about it, but then, that was the smell I associated with school generally until I got to college. Then the odor I most associated with class was formaldehyde.

Blech.
Old 08-11-2008, 08:26 PM   #29
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyMaveety View Post
PLEASE send some of that HERE!! I am BEGGING you!!
Did you get any? I tried to send some rain....
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 09:03 PM   #30
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Sir Edward View Post
Did you get any? I tried to send some rain....
No (sniff, whimper), the sky is all blue and clear and it's 100 degrees out again, and what is the POINT of all this stupid humidity if it's not going to RAIN????

I've been wandering around with a bandana headband for four days now looking like a blonde, female version of Tonto (in sunglasses, jeans and a paint covered t-shirt) just because the sweat is making my eyes burn like crazy!!

If I believed in a rain god, I would be out there in the yard pounding a drum and dancing my little heart out.

I'm just glad that tomorrow is Tuesday, because that means a free meal and several hours of good wine and good company. So, by 9:00 pm I should be much to wasted to care that it's freaking hot out.

Tags
clouds of enlightenment, unutterable silliness