Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-05-2010, 08:00 PM   #1
megachirops
Enthusiast
megachirops began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2, Kindle 3
What am I missing? (author_sort)

I just upgraded (finally) from 6.45 to 7.17 and I'm having an issue getting the author names to come out right. I'm one of those people that prefer to see the author as "ln, fn" and I've always had "author_sort_copy_method = 'copy'" in %AppData%\calibre\tweaks.py. This was working fine with 6.45, but I just tried adding my first book since the upgrade and it seems to be swapping the names on me. I've double checked the setting in tweaks.py. Am I missing a new setting somewhere?

# The algorithm used to copy author to author_sort
# Possible values are:
# invert: use "fn ln" -> "ln, fn" (the original algorithm)
# copy : copy author to author_sort without modification
# comma : use 'copy' if there is a ',' in the name, otherwise use 'invert'
# nocomma : "fn ln" -> "ln fn" (without the comma)
author_sort_copy_method = 'copy'

And this is what I'm seeing after I import the book...

megachirops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 08:48 PM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by megachirops View Post
I just upgraded (finally) from 6.45 to 7.17 and I'm having an issue getting the author names to come out right. I'm one of those people that prefer to see the author as "ln, fn" and I've always had "author_sort_copy_method = 'copy'"
Double check the current tweaks by going to Preferences - Advanced - Tweaks tab and checking the current tweaks in the bottom window. This is where the tweaks are edited and looking here ensures your reviewing the correct location.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-05-2010, 08:49 PM   #3
megachirops
Enthusiast

Yep. Checked there too. It's set.

Last edited by megachirops; 09-05-2010 at 08:51 PM.
Old 09-05-2010, 08:59 PM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by megachirops View Post
Yep. Checked there too. It's set.

I'm using calibre 0.7.17

I just switched mine to copy, then I restarted calibre, then I selected 5 books went to bulk edit metadata, checked Automatically set Author sort, then clicked OK. I would have expected the Author field to be copied to the author_sort field but nothing changed.

Put in a bug report here.
Old 09-05-2010, 09:08 PM   #5
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
I'm using calibre 0.7.17

I just switched mine to copy, then I restarted calibre, then I selected 5 books went to bulk edit metadata, checked Automatically set Author sort, then clicked OK. I would have expected the Author field to be copied to the author_sort field but nothing changed.

Put in a bug report here.
Update: If I do the above to 5 newly added books then it works as I expected and the author field is copied to the author_sort field. I would have expected the newly added book to also have the author field copied to the author sort field but my newly added books also had the author and author sort fields inverted.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 09-05-2010 at 09:10 PM.
Advert
Old 09-05-2010, 09:10 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You need to right click on any author in the ta browser select manage authors and set the author sorts for each author.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 09:23 PM   #7
megachirops
Enthusiast

Ok, that did it, thanks!
Old 09-06-2010, 03:43 AM   #8
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
A note of explanation:

Except in rare cases (which do not include edit metadata), when the author_sort field is automatically built, the process is as follows:
Code:
A) Clear (empty) the book's current author_sort value.
B) For each author of a book, in author order:
  1) Look up that author in the database.
  1.a) Author exists -- retrieve his/her individual author_sort string
  1.b) Author does not exist. 
  1.b.1) Add the author
  1.b.2) Compute that author's author_sort value, taking the tweak into consideration
  1.b.3) Save the computed value in the database with the author
  1.b.4) pass the computed value to the next step
  2) add the retrieved individual author_sort to the end of the book's author_sort, separated by ' & '
C) Write the book's new author_sort value to the database
This process explains why changing the tweak has the effects you saw. Recomputing the author_sort in edit_metadata simply used the values that already exist. Adding a new book might cause a new author to be added, and (as seen above) that would cause the tweak to be used.

After changing the tweak, you should open the manage authors dialog and click 'Recalculate all author sort values'. Calibre will do what you ask, taking the tweak into consideration. Next, scan down the list to see if any authors have the wrong value, which will depend on how you want to handle sorting of complex last names. For example, some people prefer 'von Braun, Werner' to be sorted under 'v', while others want it sorted under 'B'.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 04:14 AM   #9
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
A note of explanation:
Thanks for the explanation.
Old 09-06-2010, 08:36 AM   #10
PCreighton
Enthusiast
PCreighton began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2; Kindle WIFI 6";IPAD 2
Hi I am still doing something wrong, I have used Author manager, pressed the reset author sort and yet it does not seem to reset all my authors
Originally I brought in the Author as unknown; I then changed the Author Name
Example Anne Marie Winston
if I go to Individual metadata it shows Author Name and in Author Sort still shows unknown, I would assume I forgot to click the little arrow next to update author sort.. I go in Manage Author the author does not appear, assume this is why the recalculate all author sort values does not work.
suggestions please for bulk address sort update
Attached Files
File Type: pdf author_sort_issue.pdf (188.1 KB, 239 views)
PCreighton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 08:39 AM   #11
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCreighton View Post
Originally I brought in the Author as unknown; I then changed the Author Name
Example Anne Marie Winston
The list is sorted by author. Did you look under 'A'?
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 08:53 AM   #12
PCreighton
Enthusiast
PCreighton began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2; Kindle WIFI 6";IPAD 2
okay I figured out how to get it fixed, instead of opening manage authors, I selected all the books and used bulk metadata update and checked automatically set author sort.
PCreighton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 11:15 AM   #13
megachirops
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
A note of explanation:
Thanks for the detailed explanation. I think that pretty much explains everything (in my case at least). I ran the new version at least once without the tweak in place which presumably caused the database to be filled with the un-tweaked author_sort values for the existing authors.

cheers!