Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 07-30-2010, 02:16 PM   #1
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Why 3-G?

I don't understand the reason for 3-G. I download just about all my books to my computer, and put them into Calibre. I turn on the wireless less than once a month. If I could have bought one without either, I would have. I won't set up the Wi-Fi to work with my home network, so it will be just like I wasn't connected. But I am excited about the smaller size, clearer screen and graphite. I kept getting fingerprints on my white kindle.

I have plenty of time to change my mind, as I didn't order until today (that will show me I can't miss Mobileread for even a day!) so I don't even have an estimated shipping date. So why would I want 3-G?

Thanks, Debra
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 02:26 PM   #2
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
Wifi or 3g just give you more flexibility in how you load books onto your device and obviously if you have kindle on something else as well such as your phone then it enables you to synch your position, notes etc.
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-30-2010, 02:27 PM   #3
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
I am almost never in a place with Wi-fi access. I can download via 3G at my doctor's office, home, etc. Very handy for me. I do sometimes download via computer, too. If you always have wi-fi access, then you can stick with the wi-fi version. Also, if I am on vacation, I am more likely to have a 3G signal than wi-fi access, in the places I tend to go.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 02:45 PM   #4
kathyfitz
Electronics Whore
kathyfitz doesn't litterkathyfitz doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad, iPad mini, iPhone5, Kindle3
I am debating that question myself. I usually have wi-fi available, but not always. And one of the main reasons I am considering moving to a new Kindle is that I haven't been able to make use of the sync capabilities as I don't have Sprint coverage at my home. I was actually considering a new reader even that before the new Kindle was announced, because I live in an area where I have better AT&T coverage than any other provider and currently have the US model. So is it worth the extra money? Or would I be risking missing out on the sync still if I don't get it?

Decisions, decisions...
kathyfitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 02:52 PM   #5
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
I want as much flexibility and convenience as I can afford. That's why I go for 3G devices.

More specifically, I read lots of news, and I want it as updated as possible.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-30-2010, 02:58 PM   #6
rogue_librarian
Guru
rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Basic 613
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney's Mom View Post
I don't understand the reason for 3-G. I download just about all my books to my computer, and put them into Calibre.
You don't need it, then. That's fine It's happened to me more than once though that I was sitting in the subway or some other equally unlikely place, reading about a book worth checking out. With 3G you can download a sample chapter in about 30 seconds.

It's all about instant gratification.
rogue_librarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 03:31 PM   #7
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
I travel a LOT and end up in some rather odd/interesting places. the laptop doesn't always make the transition. it is crucial for me to have it
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 03:42 PM   #8
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
I'm happy without 3G, WiFi, etc. I've got 2500 books or so on my 505 (well, a bunch of them are short stories, but still) and that should take care of my reading needs for the foreseeable future.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 03:45 PM   #9
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
1) As you can probably tell already, quite a few people travel and/or frequent places where they don't have wifi.

2) With some (if not most) 3g devices, you don't need some clunky intermediary program to manage your books. With the Kindle, I almost never plug it into my computer; if I want a book, I can either go to the website and it gets sent directly to the device, or order and download it directly from the device itself.

If you don't need it, don't sweat it. But I prefer it, it really amplifies the ease of use.
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 03:48 PM   #10
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
I'd definitely skip it for the Kindle, or other eInk devices.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 03:55 PM   #11
pendragginp
Guru
pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Several
Like others, I live in a rural area where wi-fi is patchy at best. Sometimes I've taken my Kindle with me while out for the day just so that I can be connected to the world, even though I know I won't have a chance to read a book.
pendragginp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 04:05 PM   #12
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Thank you all! I didn't realize about the syncing furthest page read. That means if I pick up my K3 one day, and my K2 another day, I will be screwed. But AT&T is awful at my house (my daughter says their motto should be "No service, anytime"). When I went to the Bahamas last year, 3G didn't work anyway. But I was able to download and read off my computer.

Just wanted to make sure I didn't miss anything, and the syncing across devices was what I was missing!
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 04:20 PM   #13
bjones6416
↓↓ Skirt!! Earrings!!
bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer netbook, JetBook Lite, Sony PRS-300, Kindle 2, Kindle Fire
So I can buy books (and check my e-mail!) at work, where wi-fi is a no-no.
bjones6416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 05:03 PM   #14
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
I have been living just fine without 3G. I've lived all my life without instant gratification so it won't kill me to continue to do so. 3G plans are expensive compared to my prepaid plan I have on my bare bones cell phone that I have only for emergencies when away from home. Why should I pay for WiFi on a device that would use it only occasionally (I do have a home network)? USB cords are cheap and easy to use.

I organize my book collection with calibre on my desktop. I would prefer to download a book for free (free because the broadband fee is fixed, not based on usage) and put it directly into calibre instead of paying extra to be able to download directly to the device, then have to transfer it my desktop. I don't need nor want every book of mine on my reader anyway.

If I'm on the road and I find out there is a book I just have to have right then (hasn't happened yet), I always travel with my netbook and almost always stay where I have WiFi available (plus there are usually plenty of public hot spots available unless I'm in a really small town and even they usually have at least one).

The simpler my reader, the less it costs. The less it costs, the less I'm going to cry if I drop and break it, lose it somewhere, or it gets stolen.

With 3G, and possibly with WiFi, some vendors are able to get into the reader to snoop or even remove content. Not having it eliminates the problem. My desktop has a customizable firewall that eliminates that danger.
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 05:15 PM   #15
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
I have been living just fine without 3G. I've lived all my life without instant gratification so it won't kill me to continue to do so. 3G plans are expensive compared to my prepaid plan I have on my bare bones cell phone that I have only for emergencies when away from home. Why should I pay for WiFi on a device that would use it only occasionally (I do have a home network)? USB cords are cheap and easy to use.

I organize my book collection with calibre on my desktop. I would prefer to download a book for free (free because the broadband fee is fixed, not based on usage) and put it directly into calibre instead of paying extra to be able to download directly to the device, then have to transfer it my desktop. I don't need nor want every book of mine on my reader anyway.

If I'm on the road and I find out there is a book I just have to have right then (hasn't happened yet), I always travel with my netbook and almost always stay where I have WiFi available (plus there are usually plenty of public hot spots available unless I'm in a really small town and even they usually have at least one).

The simpler my reader, the less it costs. The less it costs, the less I'm going to cry if I drop and break it, lose it somewhere, or it gets stolen.

With 3G, and possibly with WiFi, some vendors are able to get into the reader to snoop or even remove content. Not having it eliminates the problem. My desktop has a customizable firewall that eliminates that danger.
ummmm... unless I've seriously missed something, nothing has been said about payments for wi-fi on this. it's set up to connect into wi-fi hot spots
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote