Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 05-26-2009, 12:22 PM   #1
el.astrologo
Groupie
el.astrologo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.el.astrologo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.el.astrologo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.el.astrologo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.el.astrologo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS-700BC
Question Mobi and EPUB and why would I want to?

Hello all...

I have been formatting some ebooks for a while and since I own a SONY PRS700 I have always output it as LRF now I am wondering if I am doing right.

Why is it that one would want to have his ebooks in Mobi or EPUB format? Other than the fact that they could be read in several devices?

Thanks in advance
el.astrologo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 12:27 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by el.astrologo View Post
Hello all...

I have been formatting some ebooks for a while and since I own a SONY PRS700 I have always output it as LRF now I am wondering if I am doing right.

Why is it that one would want to have his ebooks in Mobi or EPUB format? Other than the fact that they could be read in several devices?

Thanks in advance
You don't want Mobipocket format as your 700 cannot display them. But you can display ePub. ePub is becoming more universal. LRF is fixed for the Sony Readers. I have been converting to ePub and it's working fine on my 505.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-26-2009, 12:29 PM   #3
el.astrologo
Groupie
el.astrologo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.el.astrologo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.el.astrologo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.el.astrologo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.el.astrologo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

I understand the fact that LRF is fixed for Sony Readers, what I would like to know is what other advantage does epub have against LRF?

If it's just being able to read my ebooks in other devices I think I will stick with LRF
Old 05-26-2009, 12:59 PM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
ePub is capable of more sophisticated formatting than LRF. Eg, you can have an image with text alongside it, which you can't do with LRF, or drop-capitals, or complex tables.

For straightforward novels, though, there's probably no particular benefit if you're creating stuff for personal use only.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 04:29 PM   #5
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by el.astrologo View Post
Hello all...

Thanks in advance
PROs
It's easier to convert ePUB/MOBI from one format to another.
ePUB supports HTML 4.1 so the ePUB layout can be more elaborate than LRF/X
ePUB allows for multilayer TOC.

Con
LRF is faster
LRF supports justification / hyphenation.
ePUB created from calibre have terribly slow TOC

Personally I keep my source files as MS Word documents or MOBI/LIT and convert to LRF when I want to read the book on my PRS-505.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-27-2009, 04:54 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

A minor correction, X; I don't believe that LRF does support hyphenation.
Old 05-27-2009, 06:37 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
A minor correction, X; I don't believe that LRF does support hyphenation.
It does not support hyphenation.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 01:16 PM   #8
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Ops my mistake that is correct LRF does not support hyphenation.
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 04:24 PM   #9
radius
Lector minore
radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura One, Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e, Google Pixel Slate
One big "pro" for epub is that it is easier to change the displayed font.

For LRFs, you have to either embed a new font (which slows down page turns) or you can re-flash your device with a new font built into the image (intimidating to some users and difficult without support from a forum like Mobileread). In both cases, the reader needs time to re-paginate the first time it displays at any particular font size unless you use Sony's library software.

For epubs, on the other hand, you can embed fonts, but you can also point to fonts on the filesystem of your Sony reader. There is no delay to repaginate when you load a book or change font sizes.

On the con side, my gut feeling right now is that Sony's LRF parser is currently more robust than Adobe's epub parser on the Sony reader.

I've been using epub, but more and more I've been considering rolling my own PDFs.

Note, however, that the only books I buy are DRM free and easily convertible.
radius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 03:00 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

A big "downside" for ePub on the Sony at the present time is that it has no support for full justification. I can't stand reading left-justified books!
Old 05-28-2009, 04:28 AM   #11
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
The one comment I'd add re ePub is that the "ePUB created from calibre have terribly slow TOC" isn't always apparent - I have seen it, but I've also see other ePubs with no problems, so it's down to the specific ePub (possibly the internal organisation/splitting of the book).
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 06:56 AM   #12
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
A big "downside" for ePub on the Sony at the present time is that it has no support for full justification.
The latest mobile ADE has this capability, see The german epub version of the Cybook. However, the default is still always left justification and DRMed ePubs will then be stuck with whatever explicit justification the publisher decides to use. For DRM-free ePubs, Calibre can create a version with whatever justification you want.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 06:59 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Yes, I know. That's why I said "at the present time" . Hopefully Sony will update their firmware to add this capability.
Old 05-28-2009, 07:53 AM   #14
el.astrologo
Groupie

I see, thanks a lot guys!
Old 05-28-2009, 08:10 AM   #15
el.astrologo
Groupie

double post

Last edited by el.astrologo; 05-28-2009 at 01:30 PM. Reason: double post