Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 11-02-2010, 08:23 AM   #1
Kanlee
Kanlee began at the beginning.

Device: none,still trying to decide
What I don't like about lite.

I have not been here since it started to get warm down here and have not used the JBL since the end of winter,do not read much in the warm weather.Sooo I found out there were updates for the jbl=problems.I downloaded the updates(which are in windows exe)I run a mac.Ah hah,i have a windows pc that I built and is just sitting here.So tranfer to that which I hardly ever use since I do not like the way they work.Well have to download all the updates first to vista then security.So now i can get to the jbl.Do what it says to update and it does not work also a few crashes,I have hardly any extra software on it.So download update 16 directly to vista and it works this time (of course I have had to do a little reading on their and your forums to make sure I do this right.It works but I lose all the books and info on the jbl,s memory?More reading.I find I also get o kb available in the jbl memory check no space used and no space available??Just for the heck of it I try and put some books in their from calibre and the show up in calibre but I cannot get to them on the jbl?More reading.So I put the download on again.Of course I have had problems with vista seeing my memory card in the reader,used a 4G so went back to 1G.Put update on jbl again and it updates but still no internal storage but it will see books on a memory card??I hate vista and I am getting upset with the jbl.I did this originally because I was looking at the nooks and the kindle for the lower prices,but the wife (who has the K2) said "I thought you already have a reader?So decided to check it out again but it was so slow.It does by the way start up faster now.Oh well I can still use it with an internal memory card,just nothing on the jbl itself.
Kanlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 11:24 AM   #2
jorlando
jorlando is on a distinguished road

Device: jetbook lite (RIP), Sony PRS-350
When connected to a computer jetbook appears as two different drives.

One drive is the Jetbook internal memory (around 100MB). The other drive is the SD card.

You don't mention your old firmware version, but for safety use SD cards up to 2GB maximum for upgrades. SD cards with 4GB or more are SDHC type, that type can't be recognized by older firmware versions.

Look at the label of the memory card and check that it only have the SD logo, without the HC under it.

BUt you are right in complaining about the update file being a windows executable file. This is unneded. A zip type file would be ok and could be read in any operating system.
jorlando is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-02-2010, 11:59 AM   #3
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
I don't suppose "Stream of Consciousness" posting could be banned? Ah well, one can
only hope.

The JBL's flash memory and the SD card's flash memory are formatted in FAT16 or
FAT32. Your MAC should be able to deal with media in those formats. Your MAC
has USB ports, I assume? You can connect the JBL to your MAC with the supplied
USB Cable and you should be able to read and inteact with JBL's internal flash memory.

I don't buy Apple products so I can only go by the reports I read of how it performs.
I assume there are MAC programs that allow you to unzip files and that you could
copy the unzipped contents to a FAT formated SD card. (You should be able to treat
the .exe update file as a zipped file.)

All the rest of the update process can be done without need of a computer, just from
the SD card.

I actually make no real use of the user portion of the internal memory and keep all my
eBooks and other documents and pictures on an SD card. The SD card is managed in
my PC while it is attached to the PC. That way I have access to all the file
management functions of the PC. I have no need to connect my JBL to any computer.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 12:20 PM   #4
Kanlee

"Stream of Consciousness"I am sorry but I guess I am stupid as I have no idea what that means.You must be a lot smarter than me so please take that into consideration.I do not want to download other programs to unzip this so I used my pc which I do not like ( I do not know how many times it crashed even on etacko's site.I have all my books backed up and I know the difference between the internal memory and the card.Just to clarify in the jbl's settings now it shows total 0.0KB and free- 0.0KB.For internal memory.There should be what?almost 1 GB?I know I must of done something wrong but do not know what.I guess I posted this wrong and please excuse me if I offended you.
Old 11-02-2010, 12:43 PM   #5
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The forums give a wide latitude to posters and you can certainly post in any style you
wish. It is not a matter of being "wrong". I am in no way offended. (Perhaps annoyed,
but such is life, and it would be hard to "Offend" an ex-platoon Sergent.)

Try attaching you JBL to your MAC with the USB cable and see if there is anything in
the internal memory. (You might want to remove the SD card from the JBL before hand.)

There is a way to return the JBL to it's factory settings and reflash the NOR memory.
This could restore access to your internal memory.

You should also try the current (0.16e) firmware as it made a large number of
improvements. I would do so after restoring the factory settings and flashing the
NOR memory.

The thing is, you can fairly easily reset the JBL to factory settings and install the current
firmware on the device.

You should remove any SD card from your JBL and connect the USB cable to backup your
JBL's internal memory, to a folder on your PC's hard drive.

Reformatting the JBL's internal memory to FAT32 is a good idea and running ChkDsk on it
while you have the JBL connected to your PC with the USB cable is a good idea as well.

If you can get to the logo screen then you should be able to do this:

First if you only have one SD card then you will want to back it up to a folder on your
PC's hard drive.

Format an SD card for use during the update of the firmware. (I still use FAT16 for this
although I understand that FAT32 works as well.) The formatting will insure a clean card
and root directory into which the three update folders go.

Be sure to use a firmware update with all three folders to make the SD card. Insert the
SD card into the JBL.

Make sure the USB cable is not connected at this point.

Then you go to the Diagnostics Menu built into the JBL, it is here that you can do the
#13 - Reflash NOR and the #7 - restore factory defaults

To enter the diagnostics screen:
Reset the device. Then hold down three buttons. They are: "on/off" "zoom" and "menu". When you see the jetBook screen let go of "on.off". Keep holding the "zoom" and "menu" keys until you see a 16 item screen. It's tricky, so it may take a couple of tries.

Then you can reflash the NOR Memory and reset the JBL to factory defaults.

After that is done reset the JBL.

Now you can update the firmware as you normally would.

Follow all directions and don't play with any settings you don't understand.

This procedure should fix any firmware related problem. If you have a valid download
of valid firmware and this doesn't fix the problem then it is a hardware issue.

Luck;
Ken
Advert
Old 11-02-2010, 01:00 PM   #6
Kanlee

I am not an ex platoon sergeant but an ex marine and I still get offended.What can I say,thin skull?If I have annoyed you then I apologize as I thought you were being condescending and after all the troubles I am not in a great mood.Sorry.I do appreciate the help though.I have the newest update that is what I put on,but this may help.PS one question,which key is the menu key?

Last edited by Kanlee; 11-02-2010 at 01:32 PM.
Old 11-02-2010, 02:02 PM   #7
Kanlee

Ah Hah.Success.I found where the menu button was by finding the right page at ectaco to get the manual.Did not flash the nor but did the reset to factory default and now even though their are no books or anything on the jbl itself,it shows 100.8 mb in the system settings so I have hard drive space now.Before it showed 0.0KB.
Thanks for the lead Ken.
Old 11-03-2010, 07:38 AM   #8
steven522
binomial: homo legentem
steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iriver Story HD; Archos 80 G9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
I don't suppose "Stream of Consciousness" posting could be banned? Ah well, one can only hope.
Whats wrong Ken don't you know how to read posts that do not break up their comments into into easily digestible pieces?I wonder if I left my iron on?I guess some people are just locked into the "old school" way of reading text.I think I want to get a dog.I mean really, you should be more tolerant of others.No, a dog is too messy.So anyway, please be nicer in your next post.Oh look, something shiny...
steven522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 10:50 AM   #9
Ken Maltby
Wizard

Steven;
"Oh look, something shiny... " - I swallowed my gum.

Kanlee;
Now that your internal memory is accessable again you should redo the 0.16e upgrade
as it puts a hidden folder into the root of the internal memory, to support ADE. You can
check on the folder by using the USB cable and viewing the internal memory in Windows
Explorer, it will appear as one of your drives with a drive letter.

Luck;
Ken