Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 12-23-2010, 08:44 AM   #1
Maggie-Me
Zealot
Maggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with others

Device: Kindle PW,Sony 700, Sony 950 (Daily Edition),Nook Color,iPad
Return Book to Library Early

I borrow books from the library, sometimes I want to return the book before the 14 days are up. I can't seem to figure out how to do that using MobiPocket on PC.

Anyone have any idea?

Thanks
Maggie-Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 09:08 AM   #2
khintul
Enthusiast
khintul doesn't litterkhintul doesn't litter

Device: Kindle2, Kindle 3, PRS-300, PRS-350, PaperWhite 1, Kobo Aura HD
My only suggestion would be to look at your library's help for digital items - my understanding is some libraries allow it, but not all. My library uses ADE w/epub books, and I am able to return early by choosing the title in the ADE library view, choosing "options" and there is a choice of returning the book. I just did this today with a book. The book still has 10 days left, and is still on my reader.

My understanding is that as long as I don't connect the reader to the computer during the remaining time, the book will still be there for the duration of its checkout period.

This is the first time I've checked out a library book, so I'm just trying to figure all the rules & regulations.
khintul is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-23-2010, 10:20 AM   #3
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
I wish more people would return their library eBooks when they are done early. I suspect the reason for the long wait times for eBooks is that people don't know how to do this or forget to.
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 10:38 AM   #4
Maggie-Me
Zealot
Maggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with others

I have no problem returning ePub's to the library, just can't seem to figure out how to do with the mobi books in mobipocket
Old 12-23-2010, 10:53 AM   #5
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle Oasis 2018, kindle 4 NT, kindle PW2, iPhone, iPad mini
I don't think you can do it in mobipocket, as far as I know only ADE (epub/pdf) allows that functionality.
Joykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-23-2010, 11:47 AM   #6
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
I wish Overdrive audiobooks would have this feature -- some offerings are 4 hrs and less,
so who needs 3 weeks???
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 03:45 PM   #7
khintul
Enthusiast
khintul doesn't litterkhintul doesn't litter

Device: Kindle2, Kindle 3, PRS-300, PRS-350, PaperWhite 1, Kobo Aura HD
I'm with you on wishing Overdrive would allow this for audiobooks - I looked all over the site, even called and talked to a tech at the library to be sure I wasn't missing something. Bottom line: it can't be done.

When I check out an audiobook I immediately download and put it on my mp3 player. I am ready right then to let it go back so the next person can have it. My library did shorten the time for checkout to 7 days, so at least it gets released after a week.

It would still be nice to be able to return early.
khintul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 03:47 PM   #8
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
I could never do that with mobipocket. Only .pdf and .epub have I been able to return early. Since I am only allowed 10 books at a time, I really preferred getting the format I could return early!
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 06:33 PM   #9
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
Maybe Overdrive does not want you to return items early. Conspiracy theory time: if you can't return something early then someone canNOT borrow it and they may ask the library to order more copies, from, ahem, Overdrive. If the item is returned, then there is no wait and hence no additional demand for more copies. Now back to our regularly scheduled conspiracy theories...
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 06:53 PM   #10
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
I understand it's the publishers, not Overdrive, who are the factor here.
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 09:20 PM   #11
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
According to Overdrive help info:

Quote:
Can I return items early?

Due to publisher licensing agreements, OverDrive media titles cannot be returned early. They will automatically be returned at the end of the lending period.

Due to publisher licensing agreements, Mobipocket titles cannot be returned early. They will automatically be returned at the end of the lending period.

Only Adobe® eBooks may be returned early.
So blame it on the lawyers.

Actually, however, the Overdrive app for iOS (recently updated to read ePub/PDF) does not have a 'return early' function. The conspiracy theorists may be onto something...

I use Bluefire instead; it does allow early return.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 01:50 AM   #12
Marcy
Guru
Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2
You can't return media titles early, but most of the libraries I belong to allow me to check them out for 3 days only. Go to "My Account" then click on lending periods. Books can be set for 7, 14 or 21 days, while music and videos can be set to 3-21 days depending on the library. All the libraries I belong to allow you to set the default for music/videos to 3 days. You can always change the lending time for any individual item on checkout.

-Marcy
Marcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 06:38 AM   #13
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
I had a chat with my local library's IT dept about this, and they seemed to think it's a technology issue, not a legality issue.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 08:24 AM   #14
Maggie-Me
Zealot

I heard back from Library and they said...

Unfortunately, do to licensing agreements, Overdrive and Mobipocket titles cannot be returned early.
Old 12-24-2010, 08:27 AM   #15
Maggie-Me
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy View Post
You can't return media titles early, but most of the libraries I belong to allow me to check them out for 3 days only. Go to "My Account" then click on lending periods. Books can be set for 7, 14 or 21 days, while music and videos can be set to 3-21 days depending on the library. All the libraries I belong to allow you to set the default for music/videos to 3 days. You can always change the lending time for any individual item on checkout.

-Marcy
I set the default on mobi books to 7 days, that is the lowest they let you go. I only get mobi books if that is all that is available