Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 05-20-2010, 07:04 AM   #1
Makgj
Makgj began at the beginning.

Device: Ebookwise 1150, Aluratek Libre Pro, Kindle 3 Wi-Fi, Kindle PaperWhite
Looking to upgrade my Ebookwise 1150

Hello and thanks for reading...
I am looking to upgrade my Ebookwise 1150 to something new.
Features I am looking for...
Must be able to read in direct sunlight (like to read in outdoor hot tub)
Somewhat water repellent (hot tub)
Be able to handle different hot and cold whether conditions (live in Michigan)
Be able to handle basic formats (am not new to converting to different formats due to the limitations of the EBW1150.)
Decent battery life (not weeks but a good entire day is fine.)
Lightweight and easy on the eyes for extended reading.
Is not limited to a certain service (kindle).
Do not need nor care for wireless anything.
Do not need MP3 player
And to finish it off - less than $200.00
Is there such a reader?
Makgj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 10:33 AM   #2
askyn
Addict
askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (11th Gen)
I was doing the same thing as you several months ago.

Love the 1150 but wanted something newer with better features and lighter etc.

I ended up getting the Pocketbook 360, its little more expensive then the budget you have listed.

But I cannt recommend it enought!

its a great little machine with TONS of features built in, and even has a built in cover that snaps to the back when your reading ( very very handy )

check out the sub forum for it here, I think you would extreamly happy with it.

I know I am.

(side note, still have the 1150. Finally got my wife interested in ereader by giveing it to her with some suspense / spy / thriller books on it =) )
askyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-20-2010, 11:32 AM   #3
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Any ebook reader can be made tub-safe by putting it in a sealable plastic bag.
PB360s are small enough for a Ziplock sandwich bag.

The PB360 design philosophy is very much like the 1150 (side mounted buttons, asymmetric design with 4-way rotation, etc) but replaces the touch screen with a 4-way rocker ring and a central activation button.
If you want a touch-screen reader with the same software, the recently-available PB302/602 might do the trick.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 09:05 PM   #4
Makgj

The PB360 sounds great - only one problem.
The clicking on the buttons would drive me nuts. (watched vid)
Any other suggestions?
Old 05-20-2010, 10:16 PM   #5
J. Strnad
Guru
J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Kindle 3, Paperwhite
Kobo.
J. Strnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-21-2010, 01:50 AM   #6
askyn
Addict
askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (11th Gen)
to be honest .. you dont even notice the "click".

I was a little conserned about it my self, but reading what others had to say I went for it and havent regretted it.

Once you start reading / using it you dont even notice it.

the other features of the 360 way out way "break in" period ( hehe one after noon? ) till you dont notice it.
askyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 10:17 PM   #7
sassanik
Guru
sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB1150, iPhone, Cool-er Purple, Pocketbook 360, Kindle Fire
Pocketbook 360

I agree I have a Pocketbook 360 and love it. Very similar to my old EB1150.

When people mentioned a clicking noise I had to think about it. I was like what noise? Sure enough next time I used it and paid attention I could hear the click. As soon as I stopped paying attention I stopped noticing the click, I don't notice it.

Amy
sassanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 12:43 AM   #8
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Welcome makgj!

I recommend that you not make your decision without first considering the jetBook Lite. I have been quite pleased with mine because of its low price (frequently on sale now for $99, I got mine for $117).

I find the text of the JBL's TFT screen to be blacker than that of the eInk screen of my Astak EZ Reader.

Everybody with a JBL buys two sets of rechargeable batteries and a charger (if they don't already have them), and keep the spare set charged. When the set you are using runs low (my batteries last about two weeks on a charge), it takes less than five minutes to change the sets out, and then you are back to reading again.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 06:57 AM   #9
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
The famous "loud noise" of the PB360 was a result of the video. The recorder had the mic quite close to the buttons and it was very much noticeable than it is in reality.
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 06:27 AM   #10
Makgj

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.
Bought a Aluratek Libre.
Fast page turns, multiple places to turn pages and got it for a very good price.
So far I am very happy with it. Was in the tub yesterday in the sun and almost read half a book.
Still not ready to get a e-ink reader - looked at a few but the text seemed almost blurry.
Thanks again!