Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-06-2010, 05:18 PM   #1
kc5cychris
Connoisseur
kc5cychris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kc5cychris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kc5cychris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kc5cychris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kc5cychris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kc5cychris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kc5cychris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kc5cychris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kc5cychris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kc5cychris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kc5cychris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-600, PRS-900
Picked up a new PRS-900

I picked up the 900 today at Best Buy. At first glance I like it already better than the 600, as soon I get it all set up and running My 600 will probably be for sale.
Will be checking books a million for a book light tomorrow. just waiting for the battery to charge.
kc5cychris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 05:21 PM   #2
chainring
Addict
chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650 (black), Kindle 3G
Congrats on the purchase!

If you have a B&N nearby, they stock the Mighty Bright line of book lights. I tried out the ExtraFlex 2, TravelFlex, and the Spike Light. I ended up keeping the ExtraFlex 2 as it has the most output, even with one LED lit, but lots more with both fired up.
chainring is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-06-2010, 05:48 PM   #3
kc5cychris
Connoisseur
kc5cychris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kc5cychris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kc5cychris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kc5cychris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kc5cychris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kc5cychris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kc5cychris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kc5cychris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kc5cychris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kc5cychris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kc5cychris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-600, PRS-900
I think there is a B&N, in Macon I will check it out Thanks
kc5cychris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 06:19 PM   #4
lionel47
Addict
lionel47 doesn't litterlionel47 doesn't litter

Device: B&N Nook, Nook Color
I just picked up a Sony 900 from Best Buy in Atlanta about an hour ago.

After loading an ebook I had already purchased on it, I have to say I am a little disappointed at the contrast on the screen. I don't know if it's because I haven't charged the battery yet (it was plugged in as I was reading) but, looking at a book under the same light, I think the contrast leave a lot to be desired. Is there a contrast setting?

I am taking it on a business trip this week. If I don't like it, I'll return it next week.
lionel47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 08:22 PM   #5
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by kc5cychris View Post
I picked up the 900 today at Best Buy. At first glance I like it already better than the 600, as soon I get it all set up and running My 600 will probably be for sale.
Will be checking books a million for a book light tomorrow. just waiting for the battery to charge.
Nice upgrade. Enjoy!
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-07-2010, 11:23 AM   #6
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionel47 View Post
I just picked up a Sony 900 from Best Buy in Atlanta about an hour ago.

After loading an ebook I had already purchased on it, I have to say I am a little disappointed at the contrast on the screen. I don't know if it's because I haven't charged the battery yet (it was plugged in as I was reading) but, looking at a book under the same light, I think the contrast leave a lot to be desired. Is there a contrast setting?

I am taking it on a business trip this week. If I don't like it, I'll return it next week.
No contrast control setting. The 900 requires bright lighting to be viewed without eyestrain, whereas the non-touchscreen models like the 300 don't. I use my 300 when away from home and the 900 when I can cntrol the lighting where I read.
Old 02-07-2010, 12:52 PM   #7
lionel47
Addict
lionel47 doesn't litterlionel47 doesn't litter

Device: B&N Nook, Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
No contrast control setting. The 900 requires bright lighting to be viewed without eyestrain, whereas the non-touchscreen models like the 300 don't. I use my 300 when away from home and the 900 when I can cntrol the lighting where I read.
I see. That's not really an option for me. It was hard justifying this purchase without the business requirements coming into it.

Well, to continue my review:

One of the reasons I wanted a reader is my addition to RSS feeds. I downloaded two of my favorites this morning through Calibre and uploaded them to the 900. I have to say that the formatting and display are terrific and it's almost like reading my own custom magazine.

I also flipped through the trial NY Times subscription. The Sunday edition was ready and waiting for me when I woke up this morning. I am impressed by the look and feel and I do not really miss the messiness of the paper itself. Also, I think it's really saving some trees.

Finally, I am about to go on a business trip so I uploaded one of my PDFs I expect to be marking up on the plane. I was able to mark it up with the stylus. My question is whether or not it saved the markup and whether or not I will be able to save the marked up document to my notebook so I can print it or e-mail it to my colleague.

So far, the only thing that it making me want to return the 900 is the screen. I will get a book light at the airport and see if it ameliorates the situation. If not, I will be back to researching something that meets my requirements. The 900 meets all of them so far, except for the screen.
lionel47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 01:06 PM   #8
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>
Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionel47 View Post
So far, the only thing that it making me want to return the 900 is the screen. I will get a book light at the airport and see if it ameliorates the situation. If not, I will be back to researching something that meets my requirements. The 900 meets all of them so far, except for the screen.
Agreed. If they solved the screen readability issue on the 900 with the next model, I'd pretty much recommend the 900 to everyone I met looking at one.
Kolenka is offline   Reply With Quote