Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 07-24-2006, 12:54 PM   #16
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloNL
What I would like to now is why they implemented the MS instead of their MS Pro Duo. Could it be they have a huge stock somewhere that they need to get rid of? :P
I don't have any info on that, but I'm guessing that they wanted the Reader compatible with the lower common denominator -- you can still use the pro & duo pro in the basic MS slot, can't you?

It's academic to me anyway since I, like Laurens, am an SD card user.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 01:29 PM   #17
Pitchfork
Connoisseur
Pitchfork began at the beginning.

Device: Iliad/Ipaq 6340
AFAIK The sony Memorystick Pro is not meant as a feature, more a limitation. Sony use this format on their music players, and the encryption is part of their DRM scheme. The devices only allow Atrac3 files to be written to a MS pro. Sony Cameras, laptops etc. do not normally come with built-in MS Pro, rather regular Memorysticks. It is a long time since I have bought anything from Sony, so this could have changed since.
Pitchfork is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-24-2006, 01:34 PM   #18
Laurens
Jah Blessed
Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.

Device: iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh
I don't have any info on that, but I'm guessing that they wanted the Reader compatible with the lower common denominator -- you can still use the pro & duo pro in the basic MS slot, can't you?
You're absolutely right, of course! By using the standard MS format, Sony is actually offering you as wide a choice as possible, contrary to what I was claiming.
Laurens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 01:47 PM   #19
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitchfork
AFAIK The sony Memorystick Pro is not meant as a feature, more a limitation. Sony use this format on their music players, and the encryption is part of their DRM scheme. The devices only allow Atrac3 files to be written to a MS pro. Sony Cameras, laptops etc. do not normally come with built-in MS Pro, rather regular Memorysticks. It is a long time since I have bought anything from Sony, so this could have changed since.
So then, do you also think that their using the standard MS (rather than Pro) may be a sign that they're trying to be more accommodating to their users?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurens
...Sony is actually offering you as wide a choice as possible....
It was a bit of a surprise to me too, when I first approached that conclusion.

I'm very glad to see it, since their hardware has such a good record for quality.

Last edited by NatCh; 07-24-2006 at 01:50 PM.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote