Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-02-2008, 11:40 AM   #31
bornmw
bornmw began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris777 View Post
You can search by keyword jetbook on this forum to find more information about this model. I see that it is available on NewEgg for $289.99 now
I was lucky to get it for 179$ on Frys yesterday.
And I've browsed most of this site trying to compare jetBook to PRS-505, and noticed that there were forums devoted specifically to PRS-505 apps development, customized firmware etc.
I'm sure that jetBook is as hackable as 505 since it is Linux-based too, but I couldn't find a related forum neither on this site nor in Internet...
bornmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 12:49 PM   #32
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Bornmw,
As of yet, there is no dedicated Jetbook forum. I think part of the reason is that the moderators are planning a re-org of the forums and the other is that there are only a few of us yet who have Jetbooks.

I haven't done much in the way of hacking on my Jetbook. I will say that I have generally used PDFs to read newer books. I only read DRM free books, so what I normally do is obtain a .lit version of the book, convert it to html using Calibre's lit2oeb script and then use prince to convert the book to a pdf that is properly sized for the 5" screen of the reader. The whole thing takes maybe 5 minutes; less if there are no images that need to be adjusted (Prince seems to resize images for width of the page but not for the height (at least on the Mac)).

In Q1 2009, Ectaco is planning on releasing support for Mobi and ePub.

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-02-2008, 12:56 PM   #33
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by bornmw View Post
I was lucky to get it for 179$ on Frys yesterday.
And I've browsed most of this site trying to compare jetBook to PRS-505, and noticed that there were forums devoted specifically to PRS-505 apps development, customized firmware etc.
I'm sure that jetBook is as hackable as 505 since it is Linux-based too, but I couldn't find a related forum neither on this site nor in Internet...
One reason may be that the Jetbook mostly reads .txt and FB2 formats.. and there is software for those formats rather than for the specific reader. I have not seen any hacks to the Jetbook... probably because it isn't as popular as some of the other ones discussed here.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 03:33 PM   #34
bornmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_mchale View Post
and then use prince to convert the book to a pdf that is properly sized for the 5" screen of the reader.
One of my concerns was ability to read PDF book without conversion. There are lots of PDF technical A5-sized (half Letter) books in our corp library, and I will need to find some way to read them. Probably update FoxIt version as Pilotbob suggests?
Old 12-02-2008, 04:36 PM   #35
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Well, relatively large PDFs are going to be a problem for lots of the readers. A5 has a diagonal size of just over 10" so most of the common readers (except the Irex readers) are going to be kind of small.

One thing in the Jetbook's favor for PDFs is that since it is an LCD display, scrolling around a page is reasonably doable.

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-02-2008, 05:17 PM   #36
bornmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_mchale View Post
A5 has a diagonal size of just over 10" so most of the common readers (except the Irex readers) are going to be kind of small.
jetBook has a 102 x 76mm (4 x 3 in) screen.
10 cm is approximately the size of a printed line in A5 book, so theoretically jetBook should be capable of displaying it (landscape). I'm sure that it will not be so easy in practice, will see once I receive it (and they still haven't even shipped it - 'same day shipping' didn't work with Frys)
Old 12-02-2008, 05:46 PM   #37
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
I made this jetBook picture in airplane:
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 01:10 AM   #38
sudipto
sudipto began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2, JetBook
The JetBook reader (Graphite and White versions) is available for $179.99 with free shipping right now at Frys.com. Just picked up one, despite not finding too much information about this yet. Hopefully with firmware updates they will add more features.

Graphite version here -- http://shop3.frys.com/product/5777932
White version here -- http://shop3.frys.com/product/5784242

Wanted to share in case anyone else is interested.
sudipto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 05:30 AM   #39
bornmw

I still can't find any forum devoted to JetBook discussions. Firmware etc.
Could someone give me a link?
Old 02-28-2009, 12:23 AM   #40
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
There isn't yet one. But, we are always tweeking the sections.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 07:59 AM   #41
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
Quote:
This is very detailed jetBook reviews with many pictures and video:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47377

It can be helpfull

Last edited by Kris777; 06-26-2009 at 01:56 AM.
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 02:04 PM   #42
Spanish Reader
Spanish Reader began at the beginning.

Device: Ectaco Jetbook
Ectaco Jetbook--Very Disappointed

I recently bought the Ectaco Jetbook, and I am less than thrilled with it. I was even less thrilled with the company's customer service, or should I say, lack of it. I bought the Jetbook because Ectaco specializes in translators; I wanted to be able to read in Spanish and to be able to look up the translation for words I do not know. So I thought a reader by a company that makes translators would be perfect. I was disappointed. The Jetbook does have a built-in Spanish-English dictionary, but it is insufficient for my needs. Compared to my Franklin Spanish-English electronic dictionary, the Ectaco one built into the Jetbook is insufficient. There are way too many words that are not included in the translator. While the Jetbook can translate several languages, I would much rather have only a Spanish-English translator with a more extensive dictionary. Also, I ordered the Spanish version because the advertisement on the Ectaco sight promised that it would be loaded with Spanish classics. Well it came loaded, but most of the books are classics from other countries, like the United States, that have been translated into Spanish, rather than books originally written by Spanish authors. Also, the dictionaries only work with TXT and FB2, but all of the books came in PDF. I called and e-mailed the company many times to find out why the dictionaries were not working, and then to find out how to convert the books to TXT or FB2, and OMG was that a disaster! The first person who answered the phone was rude. The next seemed to know nothing about the reader, said he would research it and call me back, and never did. And the person I e-mailed over and over was equally uninformed. It took a long time to resolve my problem, which I realize know, could have been resolved easily if the tech support person with whom I spoke had been more informed. Also, for anyone reading foreign language books and using the dictionaries, the way the buttons are placed, it is very easy to accidentally exit the book. I would also like to be able to highlight the word I want more easily and to be able to move from word to word on the page without having to exit out of the dictionary and start over. So overall, I was very disappointed in this product.
Spanish Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 07:43 AM   #43
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
I was rereading this article right now, and just to mention; according to the website the Jetbook now supports RM ePub, ADE ePub, ADE pdf, HTML, PRC, MOBI, RTF, TXT, PDF, FB2, JPG, GIF, PNG, & BMP.

So a bunch more than before. Also, it's being sold for $50 on newegg. Too bad for the people who paid $170+ for it!

I'm expecting it to arrive soon; to replace my worn out Sony PRS505, which has no more battery life!
For that price it's just a steal!
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 10:45 AM   #44
Beryll Snyder
Banned
Beryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

Device: Nook classic, PB 903, Onyx M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by westin View Post

_______
Has anyone come across any board/pages devoted to JetBook discussions???
Just wondering?

Many thanks,

Westin
San Jose

Right here:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=205
Beryll Snyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 11:08 AM   #45
andyh2000
Avid reader
andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 4 / Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beryll Snyder View Post
Don't feed the spammer! I mean, [removal of spam food names - moderator ]!

Andrew

Last edited by dreams; 02-16-2012 at 01:11 PM. Reason: removed spam names - moderator
andyh2000 is online now   Reply With Quote