Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-19-2012, 08:18 PM   #1
Inman
Inman began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Question Auto toggle Airplane mode on Kindle Paperwhite?

I just got my Kindle Paperwhite and I love it. I have a Nook Simple Touch which is still great, especially with the physical page turn buttons but the display on PW simply blows out the competition.

Here is what I want to know. I keep it on Airplane mode all the time. When I need to sync something, I simply select Sync from Settings menu and it asks me if I want to turn off Airplane mode, which is great because I can skip the step of turning it off myself.

But after syncing, it will not turn on Airplane mode by itself. Will it be possible to do that, with jailbreak or something else?

Thank you

Last edited by Inman; 12-19-2012 at 09:21 PM.
Inman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 03:34 PM   #2
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Not yet. In the KT you were able to turn wireless on and off in the option menu anywhere. PW you need to turn it off on settings page options.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-20-2012, 04:21 PM   #3
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
I doubt that there will ever be such a functionality.

Why? Because of this inherent problem: one can automatically determine that a connection is required when it is OFF, but one cannot (generally) automatically determine whether a connection that is ON is no longer required. It's up to you to know that, and to switch it off manually.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 06:47 PM   #4
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
Not yet. In the KT you were able to turn wireless on and off in the option menu anywhere. PW you need to turn it off on settings page options.
An update has improved this somewhat; 'Settings' has been added to the menu so you don't have to go to Home first.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 12:36 AM   #5
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
An update has improved this somewhat; 'Settings' has been added to the menu so you don't have to go to Home first.
I don't believe I mentioned going home, but you still have to go to the menu, go to settings page, activate airplane mode, hit the back button to go where you been before.

Whereas on the Kindle Touch it only takes the menu item "turn wireless on/off"

I did not know that before 5.3.1 you had to go Home first to be able to enter settings.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-21-2012, 05:38 PM   #6
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
We can hope for better. Seems to me it would be easy enough for new firmware to allow a touch directly on the wifi symbol to toggle on/off. I have the same pet peeve, and hope, for my iOS devices.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
airplane, kindle, paperwhite, wifi