Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 11-24-2012, 12:44 PM   #14686
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
My current read is Memorial Day by Vince Flynn.

Quote:
It's just seven days before Memorial Day, and the nation's capital is buzzing with last-minute preparations for the unveiling of the magnificent new memorial honoring the men and women who fought in World War II. Despite the hopeful energy of the city, Mitch Rapp senses trouble. A spike in CIA intelligence has pointed to a major terrorist attack on the United States. Now it's up to Rapp to pull out all the stops.

Rapp immediately leaves for Afghanistan, where he leads a special forces unit on a daring commando raid across the border into a remote Pakistani village. Their target: an al Qaeda stronghold. Within a subterranean room, Rapp and his team discover a treasure trove of maps, computers, files, and bills of lading for multiple freighters heading to U.S. ports—all pointing to plans for a catastrophic nuclear attack on Washington, DC.

Information is quickly relayed back to CIA headquarters, and a nuclear emergency support team scrambles to the scene. In a few hours, the freighters have been located and disarmed and the danger has been averted. Or has it?

Despite all the backslapping and congratulations, Mitch Rapp can't shake the feeling that the operation seemed just a bit too easy. Rapp follows his instincts on a quest to unearth the whole truth. What he finds is truly terrifying, and with Memorial Day closing fast, Rapp must find a way to prevent a disaster of unimaginable proportions.
If you like thrillers, you'll love Vince Flynn's books.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 02:12 PM   #14687
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazella20 View Post
Just started 11/22/63 by Stephen King. I've only read 10% and I'm already hooked!
Came here to report my new read and it is the same... 11/22/63... missed starting it on the 22nd by two days.

Prior to that I had wrapped up A Clash of Kings... is it just me or is this story getting a bit monotonous?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-24-2012, 03:55 PM   #14688
bcgirl
Groupie
bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad2-64gb, Sony PRS-T1, KOBO mini
The Hobbit? Out of my genre but want to read

I started to read the Alex Cross series (again), well a few I read before but reread them again to refresh my memory and then the new ones that were added later.
I think I want to read The Hobbit anytime soon after my Alex Cross series, but it is so different and actually not my kind of book. The fact that it is a classic and many people LOVE it, I might want to try.
I am very attracted to the book, the new movie that is coming out. What do you think?
bcgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 05:30 PM   #14689
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcgirl View Post
I started to read the Alex Cross series (again), well a few I read before but reread them again to refresh my memory and then the new ones that were added later.
I think I want to read The Hobbit anytime soon after my Alex Cross series, but it is so different and actually not my kind of book. The fact that it is a classic and many people LOVE it, I might want to try.
I am very attracted to the book, the new movie that is coming out. What do you think?
By all means give The Hobbit a go. It's not a doorstop, after all. You might find the the tone of the writing a little bit twee, but don't let that put you off.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 06:56 PM   #14690
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
[...]I think I want to read The Hobbit anytime soon after my Alex Cross series, but it is so different and actually not my kind of book. The fact that it is a classic and many people LOVE it, I might want to try.
You may need to push yourself through the first few chapters, they always strike as a story being told to someone very young. But it does improve, and I think it's quite a good book. Nothing like the stature of Lord of the Rings, of course, but still an enjoyable tale.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-24-2012, 09:06 PM   #14691
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Ok I just began Auel's "The clan of the Cave Bear". Been meaning to read this series for a long time and I just felt like starting it now
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 09:33 PM   #14692
maianhvk
whimsical
maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: current: PPW 4. brick: K3 & Voyage.
I dread reading this thread. Really. I know I'll add something to the list. Everytime.

Quote:
Alex Rider by Horowitz, you mean? I want to read that too. Sounds like fun, quick series.

I think you should try The Hobbit, just like a classic deserves at least one reading. I'm not saying The Hobbit is a classic, but it's a well-known book.
I can't say I loved it, but I surely appreciated the adventure. If you find it slow-going, don't push it - waiting for the right moods might help. Worked for me.
maianhvk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 10:22 PM   #14693
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The Hobbit is a classic.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 10:51 PM   #14694
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
The Hobbit _is_ a children's story, after all

Imagine yourself reading The Hobbit to your six or seven year old son or daughter. In fact, I read it to my daughter about twenty years ago when she was about six. She was so annoyed when I stopped into a pop-up bookstore and poked around until I found this Annotated Hobbit about a year earlier Then I read it to her, and then she read it herself... and we were off and running with LOTR.
Now that the movie is coming out, and I've seen the trailer, I think I must reread it - maybe out loud, to get the pacing right. I'm not sure the story I read was in the trailer I saw...
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 12:14 PM   #14695
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Darkship Renegades

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Finished The Warrior's Apprentice and the Mountains of Mourning novella. The Warrior's Apprentice was a joy, while Mountains was a more serious work. It extends the Miles story, but is not a Dendarii story, except as it shows Miles using his head instead of brute force.

Next up: The Vor Game.
Finished The Vor Game and the next one, Cetaganda. I've enjoyed this run through the Vorkosiverse, but it's time for a break. Next up, Darkship Renegates, a sequel to Sarah Hoyt's remarkably good Space Opera Darkship Thieves, which I enjoyed immensely and only read because it was in a Webscription I bought.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 12:29 PM   #14696
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The Death of Chaos

The 5th book in the "Recluse" series by L.E. Modesitt. This book is a direct sequel to the 1st book in the series, and follows directly on from it. Very good fantasy. This is an excellent series, which I highly recommend.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 02:54 PM   #14697
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
I'm going to have to give it a try. I've enjoyed the imager series.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 04:29 PM   #14698
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
I have never been able to get through the Imager Series. I have read every Recluse Novel at least 4 times.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 09:13 PM   #14699
bcgirl
Groupie
bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad2-64gb, Sony PRS-T1, KOBO mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by maianhvk View Post
I dread reading this thread. Really. I know I'll add something to the list. Everytime.

Alex Rider by Horowitz, you mean? I want to read that too. Sounds like fun, quick series.

I think you should try The Hobbit, just like a classic deserves at least one reading. I'm not saying The Hobbit is a classic, but it's a well-known book.
I can't say I loved it, but I surely appreciated the adventure. If you find it slow-going, don't push it - waiting for the right moods might help. Worked for me.
No, Alex Cross series by James Patterson. Really good, quick reads!
bcgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 01:55 AM   #14700
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
My next read is an anthology by Robert Dunbar called Martyrs & Monsters. This author seems to be part of a sub-genre of horror called "literary horror" and I've been meaning to try me some. I love horror and I quite often like literary - so what could be better than joining the two?
I'm giving this one 3.5 stars.

He's a very good writer, but to me the stories lacked a bit of punch and closure. Instead of getting that "OH!" reaction as the story closes, I was left quite often with "oh".

Maybe my expectations were unreasonable.

But there were some stand-outs and with the almost ever-present darkness of the stories and the quality of the writing itself I don't want to give it a score that's too low.

My next book is a traditional fantasy and second book in a series that I started last year (yep - I'm that slow). The book is The Wayfarer King by K C May, second book in the Kinshield Saga. Again, this is one for my review site.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote