Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-07-2009, 12:12 AM   #1
adfleisher
Enthusiast
adfleisher doesn't litteradfleisher doesn't litter

Device: PocketBook 360, Nook
Engadget posts Nook Review

Here it is folks, finally a review of the Nook!
adfleisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 12:39 AM   #2
Ocean
Banned
Ocean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enough

Device: Proud G1 Kindle Owner
I much prefer these come from avid readers and fans of the devices...the type of people you find on these forums.

That said, here are the highlights for me:
Quote:
* the general hardware experience is not wildly dissimilar from its main competitor.

* Once you get the hang of the system it starts to make some sense, but it's nothing we'd describe as intuitive, and your rhythm is thrown off by one major factor: the extremely sluggish response of the device.

* There is little-to-no difference between the contrast and clarity on this screen versus its competitors

* we felt it very slightly outperformed Amazon's option in contrast, though the Kindle has a considerably faster refresh rate when turning pages.

* While the UI is different (not necessarily a bad thing in our eyes), there are also places where it is plain bad (necessarily a bad thing in our eyes). There's instability to spare in the review unit we used.

* B&N's store options and book browsing are far better than what Amazon offers.

* The question one has to weigh is whether or not the software is more of an aid or impediment to what the device was designed to do (book reading, remember?), and in our judgment, it's the latter. It's just downright unpleasant to use sometimes.

* If there's one thing the company knows how to do, it's sell books, and that's clear when using the Nook to browse or purchase titles. The on-device experience shines, and knocks the nearest competition around handily.

* the Nook is an intriguing product launched by a powerful force in the world of booksellers, but the initial offering feels long on promises and short on delivery. With the right software revisions, the Nook could be a tsunami, but as it stands right now, it's only a mild swell.
I'm interested in seeing what this on-screen on-device buying process looks like. I don't buy many on-device books. I shop and buy on the pc. The process is so much better with the big color screen of a laptop or desktop.

Last edited by Ocean; 12-07-2009 at 12:44 AM.
Ocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 12:55 AM   #3
arekieh
Connoisseur
arekieh began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600 (OTW), PRS-300B (For Sale)
Ouch, sadly looks like crap. Lots of cool features but the basic stuff is really lacking. Slow page turns suckkkkk. And the overall slow loading of everything looks really annoying. That little screen on the bottom looks pretty annoying too. The gain of it being fast is totally nullified by the fact that you have to wait for the e-ink screen to reload. (they shouldve allowed you to actually go to the book list on the bottom screen) Overall UI doesnt look to great either, and the really long form factor puts me off (same for kindle) If they set it up differently i think it could be alot better, but as it stands im really happy i decided against getting one.
arekieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 01:02 AM   #4
MaggieScratch
Has got to the black veil
MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kindle Paperwhite 2
Shorter version: "It's not an iPhone, and therefore it sucks." Like pretty much every review at Engadget.
MaggieScratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 01:05 AM   #5
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Thanks, adfleisher!

OK, so many of the problems appear to be primarily regarding the firmware, which suggests that the nook may be dandy a year from now.

However, the aggravation this guy suffered while using the device is enough to put me off for now.

When the best aspect of the device is spending more money on books, that to me is a big problem. From the consumer's point of view, spending more money should be the most difficult thing to do, not the easiest and most pleasant.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 01:07 AM   #6
arekieh
Connoisseur
arekieh began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600 (OTW), PRS-300B (For Sale)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
Thanks, adfleisher!

OK, so many of the problems appear to be primarily regarding the firmware, which suggests that the nook may be dandy a year from now.

However, the aggravation this guy suffered while using the device is enough to put me off for now.

When the best aspect of the device is spending more money on books, that to me is a big problem. From the consumer's point of view, spending more money should be the most difficult thing to do, not the easiest and most pleasant.
Totally agree with you except one thing:

I hate the firmware arguement, so many people say it but its really pointless. I dont care if the firmware is gonna get better in a year because:
a) its totally not gauranteed
b) how do u want me to use it for that year until they fix it?
c) in a year when the nook might be working properly there will be new readers released.....

I was excited for the nook now im totally turned off. i pity anyone that preordered
arekieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 01:14 AM   #7
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
There were two things that struck me:

1) The nook doesn't look like it will be user friendly for Seniors. The navigation seems too complicated. Hopefully, there will be lots of videos to help people get used to it.

2) With all the touch action happening on the bottom, I found myself (in my head) wanting to use touch on the e-ink screen on top as well.

On the whole I thought the review was positive since there are no perfect ebook readers (they all have some kind of issue).
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 01:15 AM   #8
CleverClothe
Guru
CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, Onyx Boox 60
So, I read the review and these are the things I learned:
  1. E-Ink is slow.
  2. The reviewer(s) haven't used keyboard navigation or context senstive menus before
  3. The nook has Wifi and Google Books

Where is the detail?
CleverClothe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 01:24 AM   #9
Ocean
Banned
Ocean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverClothe View Post

Where is the detail?
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64487

btw -- don't attack the review because you don't like his opinions.
Old 12-07-2009, 01:47 AM   #10
JJoyce
JJoyce began at the beginning.

Device: nook
By and large, I'm disregarding the Engadget review.

Something just seems off about the entire thing.

CNET and Gizmodo's reviews seem to be more on the level. Issues with slowdowns at times that, supposedly, B&N is planning on pushing an update for "soon", "conservative use" of the touchscreen (Gizmodo) and "generous" estimate of battery life (CNET).

I'm certainly interested in seeing what Walt Mossberg and David Pogue have to say later this week, but...Think the real test will be when I stop by B&N to play with one over lunch tomorrow.
JJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 01:52 AM   #11
CleverClothe
Guru
CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, Onyx Boox 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean View Post
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64487

btw -- don't attack the review because you don't like his opinions.
When I think about doing so, I will let you know.

On the plus side, they did post a video where you can see part of the interface in action. It is something at least.
CleverClothe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 02:02 AM   #12
Ocean
Banned

Last edited by Ocean; 12-07-2009 at 02:18 AM.
Old 12-07-2009, 02:15 AM   #13
Ocean
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJoyce View Post
Issues with slowdowns at times
At times? It sounds like a constant feature:

Technologizer: it’s slow even for an E-Ink reader. It flips its virtual pages noticeably more sluggishly than the Kindle or the Sony

Gizmodo: (unbelievable -- did not comment on this aspect)

C-Net: Device can be slow, especially when booting up and first accessing a book;

Engadget: your rhythm is thrown off by one major factor: the extremely sluggish response of the device.
Old 12-07-2009, 02:26 AM   #14
Ocean
Banned

Slashgear:

Quote:
* For those who have already built up a library of files, it’s a tougher sell: Kindle scores points merely by virtue of being first-to-market, and we can’t imagine B&N will be happy to offer free replacements for those wanting to jump the Amazon ship.

* the nook’s user-experience bests that of the Kindle.

* whenever you load new ebook content – even if that content is from the Barnes & Noble store – the nook has to “reformat” it, again taking a few moments and locking the device for the duration; this happens every time you load a file, not just the very first time. It’s frustrating
http://www.slashgear.com/barnes-nobl...eview-0665189/
Old 12-07-2009, 02:37 AM   #15
nikkie
Guru
nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: Android, Kindle Paperwhite, lots of ancient readers
While I'm sure what they said is every bit true, it still sounds better than its competition in quite a number of ways. Sony's current devices also have slow, laggy, and unresponsive firmware from my experiences with them. The real question is: How does the Nook's usability compare to those? I didn't feel that the reviewer did an adequate job of comparing it to its competition.

I would like to see timing and execution of the following scenarios with the Nook, Kindle, and Sony Touch Edition:
* Buying a book
* Finding your book in your library
* Opening your book
* Turning pages
* Interacting with links and TOC

I'm tempted to just buy all of them after Christmas and taxes...I spend hours reading on an average day anyway.
nikkie is offline   Reply With Quote