Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: Do you hoard ebooks for retirement?
Yes. I would have done (or do) so with paper books as well. 20 10.81%
Yes, but I would NOT have done so with paper books. 18 9.73%
No, not for retirement... but... uh... I hoard (e)books anyway. 113 61.08%
No, I don't hoard. Not ebooks, not paper books. 34 18.38%
Voters: 185. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-03-2014, 07:15 AM   #31
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by exaltedwombat View Post
Sure, eBooks are great! But you surely didn't throw your paper books away? That's no way to treat old friends!

Isn't the main reason for living in more than one room having space for lots of books?
I donated them to a local charity store, so they can sell them and do some good with the money. Selling all of my books one by one would take a monstrous amount of time, while the monetary gain would be infinitesimally small. I'd be "working" for less than $2 an hour.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 09:54 AM   #32
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgalbrecht View Post
I'm not sure if you're kidding, but the hoarding discussed here is a form of compulsive hoarding. Fortunately for those who compulsively hoard ebooks, the clutter is digital and not physical, but unless one is only collecting free ebooks, there is still a cost involved in buying far more books than one could ever read.
Having a large number of books isn't hoarding. A person who has a large number of full bookshelves isn't a hoarder, the book hoarder will have books piled everywhere, floor to ceiling. It often is hard even to get through the house, they can't get rid of anything. The person with a large number of e-books is much more like the person with a large number of orderly but full bookshelves. It's really not hoarding until keeping them all begins to interfere with your life. A true book hoarder's life is often impacted to the point where there isn't even anywhere to sit down, even if someone wanted to enter the house.
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 10:01 AM   #33
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
That would be compulsive hoarding. Other definitions/usages exist.
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dicti...0&t=1391439543

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 10:21 AM   #34
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I voted no. OK, so I have 800 unread ebooks bought over the past ten years. But they're not horded - I intend to read each and every one over the next ten years. Certainly well before retirement.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 10:38 AM   #35
mva1985
Enthusiast
mva1985 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Simple Touch Glowlight, Nook HD
I have about 4500 in my ebook collection and this thread makes me feel much better about having them.

Some replaced actual physical books but I have yet to get rid of them... maybe if I have to move.
mva1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 12:19 PM   #36
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
That would be compulsive hoarding. Other definitions/usages exist.
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dicti...0&t=1391439543

Helen
Yes, other definitions exist, but using them in this context would be equivocation.
Old 02-03-2014, 01:41 PM   #37
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumIguana View Post
Yes, other definitions exist, but using them in this context would be equivocation.
I just don't see this. Classic example is squirrels hoarding nuts for winter. Is this not somewhat in line with the Op's intent?

I save money for my retirement, where I might be better off spending it now. Buying 10 years worth of reading and saving that for my retirement might be a better investment. Or a giant survivalist food package with solar heaters etc. These are things I could be buying/keeping that I might never use. Or I might wish I had bought the survivalist food thingy.

I don't think buying something that you may not be able to afford when you want it is aberrant behavior. Or squirreling something away for the future is either. Besides the risk of having insufficient money after retirement there is the risk of losing control of your income. Almost happened to my mother when someone decided they should control her spending and applied to have her made a ward of court.

I re-read the original post and I see no mention or implication of compulsive hoarding, so exactly how or what am I equivocating about? Elucidate please.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 02:28 PM   #38
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
I re-read the original post and I see no mention or implication of compulsive hoarding, so exactly how or what am I equivocating about? Elucidate please.
With the hoarding I describe, I mean "hoarding for later use, in such a way that you can actually use it"; I don't mean "hoarding as much as you can because you have some sort of psychological problem and feel compelled to own 15.000 books for no reason".
Old 02-03-2014, 02:33 PM   #39
QuantumIguana
Philosopher

The word "hoarding", when applied to humans, is seldom used to describe any sort of reasonable accumulation of things.
Old 02-03-2014, 02:37 PM   #40
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer

In the Netherlands, hoarding ("hamsteren") is mainly used to describe the practice of accumulating stuff that might be hard to get later on; it's not neccesarily hoarding unreasonable amounts of said stuff.

Like me, who has bought 4 Logitech UltraX keyboards at a sale (new), after production already stopped, could be accused of "hoarding" keyboards. (Yeah, I like that particular type of keyboard.)
Old 02-03-2014, 03:20 PM   #41
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
In the Netherlands, hoarding ("hamsteren") is mainly used to describe the practice of accumulating stuff that might be hard to get later on; it's not neccesarily hoarding unreasonable amounts of said stuff.

Like me, who has bought 4 Logitech UltraX keyboards at a sale (new), after production already stopped, could be accused of "hoarding" keyboards. (Yeah, I like that particular type of keyboard.)
Maybe "stockpiling" would have less of a connotation of aberrant behavior.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 03:23 PM   #42
montalex
Fanatic
montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KindleDX,Kindle 4, Kindle Keyboard 3G
Yes, I am hoarding books. I'm 63, and, even though, as someone mentioned, I am self-employed and cannot retire as long as I can stand and state my name (don't ask my profession), I don't want to wind up in a home somewhere without good books to read. I read literary fiction (Booker Prize winners and such), and some biography, history and science writing. If I live to be 100, I'll never be able to read all the ebooks I have. Never-the-less, when I read a good review in the Guardian or New York Review, I often "buy" the book -- which is easy to do with ebooks, even at 11pm. Here's the thing, though. I get excited about what's new and innovative in writing, and tend not to look back at unread books that I acquired (ah, there's a good word for it) a year or more ago. In other words, I can't keep up with my acquisitions. But, so what? At least they aren't gathering dust or degrading (as my old Penguin paperbacks did -- crumbling and yellowing into unreadability). My heirs can clean house by pressing "delete".
montalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 03:25 PM   #43
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
You see the unhealthy sort of hoarding all the time in the news where people have over 100 dogs and cats etc. or some such.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 03:54 PM   #44
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
You see the unhealthy sort of hoarding all the time in the news where people have over 100 dogs and cats etc. or some such.
I've watched some episodes of series such as Buried Alive, and Hoarders. That's just... uh... dreadful. I can't even imagine it.

"No, not that book/dvd/LP/CD! I NEED that! I MUST HAVE IT!!!! *screeeech/wail*"

Oh, why? You won't miss it, 'cause you still have 21,237 others...

I just can't imagine it.
Old 02-03-2014, 04:08 PM   #45
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
I never needed to hoard paper books. We have excellent public libraries here, within easy walking distance, so I always had enough material to read(*).

Later I switched to books in English. The supply of those in our public library is much more limited. When I ran out of paper English books that could be borrowed, or purchased cheaply here, I discovered e-books. That was some 15 years ago. Now I will never *ever* run out of reading material, wherever I go, however unexpectedly I have to travel somewhere.

This is not hoarding. This is making sure that when you finish the book you are reading, you have at least a dozen to choose from depending on your mood.

(*) Except when I went for holidays as a schoolboy. I could spend a month or more in remote village. And they wouldn't let me borrow 40+ books in library or pack another large suitcase to the car or for a bus ride ;-)

(*) Except when I fell ill unexpectedly and I was stuck home for a week with only a small number of borrowed books

(*) Except when I couldn't make it to the library and ran out of fresh books before weekend

(*) Except when ... ;-)
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote