Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-14-2009, 08:41 PM   #1
admdvs
admdvs began at the beginning.

Device: sony PRS-300
no need to use the sony software...

i've been reading ebooks for about 13 years.. i started off with reading on a (palm) pilot 1000, way back in 1996, infact i made the suggestion to the guy that invented the .mobi / .pdb ebook format. i remember he was working on a Z/infocom emulator and and i was beta testing for him.. i wrote to him and told him the best part about playing the game was just sitting on the subway and reading and reading and reading.. the next day he send me the first built to the palm doc reader!.. the rest was history.. i would guess the first device that was used as an ebook reader!

anways.. that was a life time ago.. since then i've used various electronic organizers and cell phones to read books off of. i just bought my first official ebook reader : sony prs-300 a couple of weeks ago.

just for kicks i tried something out. i copied some new files directly to the drive on the sony reader at
\database\media\books
and the pulled out the usb cable. The device brought the "hour glass" for a few seconds, then boom - the newly copied books where in place... and accessable!

aside from creating "collections", why bother with the sony software at all?
i'm sure they must be a way to create collections by writing directly to the drive too? anyone know?

i've read in this forum people saying the sony software is crashing... so i'm helping you by saying, you don't need it to get your books back and forth..

hmmm... unless perhaps it is needed for DRM books perhaps..?

thanks,
adam
admdvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 09:50 PM   #2
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
sony has an ebook store. you can only buy them through the software.
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-14-2009, 09:51 PM   #3
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
You have to use the Sony library to download and purchase books from the Sony Bookstore.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 09:52 PM   #4
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
Aside from the Sony Store, I live by collections. With over 200 books on my 505 alone, it's not easy to find books by title.

Also the Sony software will pre-index titles that are transferred to the Reader, which saves time and battery life when you launch a title on the Reader.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 11:50 PM   #5
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Quote:
Originally Posted by admdvs View Post
<SNIP>
just for kicks i tried something out. i copied some new files directly to the drive on the sony reader at
\database\media\books
and the pulled out the usb cable. The device brought the "hour glass" for a few seconds, then boom - the newly copied books where in place... and accessable!

aside from creating "collections", why bother with the sony software at all?
i'm sure they must be a way to create collections by writing directly to the drive too? anyone know?

i've read in this forum people saying the sony software is crashing... so i'm helping you by saying, you don't need it to get your books back and forth..

hmmm... unless perhaps it is needed for DRM books perhaps..?

thanks,
adam
Isn't it awesome when you discover something new? We have many new members who may not know about this option. One of the ways I learned about my 505 was from posts like yours.

It is a nice solution for a quick and dirty way of loading a book on the go. I use the Sony eLibrary (2.5) as I really need the collection folders for organization and for all the Sony freebies.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-15-2009, 12:15 AM   #6
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
If you're reading LRF files on your reader, the Sony software will "pre-paginate" the files when sending them to your reader. This will allow the files to open much quicker, and changes font sizes for the first time will also be much quicker.

This doesn't apply to ePub files. They'll load just as quickly no matter how you transfer them to your reader.

And FYI--the files you copy to the reader don't necessarily need to be in any specific folder. The reader will find "readable" files no matter where they're located.

Hope you enjoy your new 300 as much as I enjoy my 505!!

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 02:19 AM   #7
darylbrayman
Connoisseur
darylbrayman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darylbrayman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darylbrayman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darylbrayman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darylbrayman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darylbrayman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darylbrayman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darylbrayman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darylbrayman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darylbrayman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darylbrayman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Mini, Glo, Aura and Aura H20
A new way of getting books on to the PRS-300

Thanks for that Adam. Like you I've been reading books on my PDA's for years. Lately I've been using a dedicated ebook reader, the Bebook, a rebranded Hanlin. With the Bebook you always dragged and dropped. There was no "special" software. So imagine how happy I was to get my new PRS-300 and discover the joys of using Sony's absolute crap library program. I'm now using Ver 2.5 for the ebook store, Caliber for my library and I'll be playing around with your method for quick and dirty transfers.

Thanks again, Daryl
darylbrayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 03:06 AM   #8
Justice Strike
Enthusiast
Justice Strike began at the beginning.

Device: psr600
isn't this "feature" something you would expect? I really wouldn't want to load a movie onto a portable media device by means of "proprietary" software.
Justice Strike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 01:04 PM   #9
admdvs
admdvs began at the beginning.

Device: sony PRS-300
i really only read a couple of books at a time at most, so i don't need things like collections or speed of opening (the first time) of a book. I plan to only keep the books i'm currently reading on my ebook.

As far as buying the book from the sony store.. that does make sense. - thanks. I have a few dozen books to read (all in non-DRM) before i need to buy another one.

Usually, what i've done in the past for books (and other media) is to legitimately purchase it some how then either crack the DRM into something more portable or find a pre-cracked version so i can put a copy of it on both my reader and my blackberry, so i can continue reading the book if i'm at home in my chair or out and about some where with just my phone.
admdvs is offline   Reply With Quote