Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-27-2008, 10:30 PM   #1
extanker59
extanker59 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Update Problem

Hi all,
I'm new here and I am not a computer guy. I have the older version libprs500:0.4.37. I downloaded the newest version calibre:0.4.87. I specified a new location for my library on my Mac 10.4.11. I was able to get the books but all the metadata isn't there. I see that the older version looks for the library1.db and the newer one looks for metadata.db. Can I get all my old data into the new library?
Thanks for any help.
Chris
extanker59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 10:56 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
what metadata is missing?
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-27-2008, 11:42 PM   #3
extanker59

The tags, stars, updated author, updated titles, pretty much everything.
I still have the older version and the metadata is still there. I suspect that I'm missing something basic. I've read some of the other questions and answers. I'm not at your and their level. Sorry.
Old 09-27-2008, 11:54 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

so what is used for the titles and authors is the original metadata is missing?
Old 09-28-2008, 12:51 AM   #5
extanker59

When I first downloaded the books from the Sony site, the titles (and file names) had underscores between the words. In libprs500 I changed the titles to read without the underscores. Also, some of the titles were incomplete, so I changed them as well. I did not, however, change the file names. Is calibre supposed to automatically look at the library1.db file and create a metadata.db file from it? Can I manually get calibre to do it? Or should I change the library1.db file name to mtadata.db? Or will that screw things up beyond repair (at my level)? Is there a way to get libre500 to update to calibre from libre500?
Advert
Old 09-28-2008, 01:01 AM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

i would suggest running libprs500 and using save to disk to save all your books to the disk. Then running calibre and clicking the arrow next to the add books button and using import recursively
Old 09-28-2008, 02:29 PM   #7
extanker59

OK, that worked...mostly. I have about 10 books that I got from the sony eBook site that are DRM books. Those won't move. That's my problem, though. It's my fault for getting those books through the Sony site when I first got my eReader. I have since learned better. I can get them through my original set up. Unless you have a better way?
Thank you very much for your help. I was surprised that the creator of the program would take the time (and have the time) to help an obviously confused user. Greatly appreciated.
Chris.
Old 09-28-2008, 02:40 PM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Not a problem. For the books from sony i'd suggest using the sony software, as calibre doesn't really support DRMed books.