Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 11-29-2011, 05:41 PM   #1
drake-r8
drake-r8 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS T1 and Kobo wireless
can I use a nook simple touch without registering?

Hope this question hasn't already been asked before. I bought my son a nook simple touch and want to load some epubs on it and let him register it when he gets it. Is this possible? Thanks in advance.
drake-r8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 06:54 PM   #2
6charlong
friendly lurker
6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, nook, Apple and Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by drake-r8 View Post
Hope this question hasn't already been asked before. I bought my son a nook simple touch and want to load some epubs on it and let him register it when he gets it. Is this possible? Thanks in advance.
First, welcome to Mobileread.

I'll try to answer your question. It's unnecessarily complicated by the use of DRM schemes by the publishers to prevent theft of copyrighted materials but the basic process is simple: you can "side-load" ebooks to the Nook by downloading the ebook to your computer, attach the Nook to your computer with the USB cable that came with it. The Nook will appear in Windows Explorer (or Finder if you're on a Mac). All you need to do is drag and drop the ebook from your computer to the "My Files / Books" folder on the Nook, then eject the Nook in Windows Explorer or Finder and you're done.

Having said that, this process is most straight forward with ebooks that do not have DRM which includes practically everything written before 1923 and many new, commercial books from book stores that sell books without DRM. I'll give you a link below. The Nook can read anything published in ePUB format once the DRM is taken care of. Barnes and Noble uses your credit card number as the seed to generate the DRM they use. However, if you register the Nook with your credit card that card number remains on file with them, attached to the books you bought, so that's probably not the best idea for a one time gift.

You don't say what sort of books you want but there are many great books that are free including many right here on Mobileread. Again, you want to download books in the ePUB format for the Nook. You don't say how old your son is or his interests, but popular books from Jack London, Charles Dickens, and Arthur Conan Doyle, as well as many favorites like Wind in the Willows, The Wizard of Oz, War of the Worlds, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea, Dracula and many more are all available without DRM.

You'll find a list of ebook stores here (page down a way to find the stores offering books without DRM):
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/E-book_stores

The free downloads available on Mobleread are here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=130

Happy reading.

Last edited by 6charlong; 11-29-2011 at 07:17 PM. Reason: left out My Files / Books
6charlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 07:09 PM   #3
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
I believe you have to register it first. You could consider buying an SD card and load it with the books you want to gift him.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 03:36 AM   #4
Timur
Connoisseur
Timur can name that ebook in five wordsTimur can name that ebook in five wordsTimur can name that ebook in five wordsTimur can name that ebook in five wordsTimur can name that ebook in five wordsTimur can name that ebook in five wordsTimur can name that ebook in five wordsTimur can name that ebook in five wordsTimur can name that ebook in five wordsTimur can name that ebook in five wordsTimur can name that ebook in five words

Device: EBW1150, Nook STR
While registering an account at BN an email address is required, but a credit card is not required. And you can skip credit card info screen on the Nook registration process. If you wish, you can enter credit card info later at barnesandnoble.com.

Also Nook touch register info can be reset by using "erase and deregister" in the system menu of the device. After using it, next time you boot the device, registration process starts anew. But if you have sideloaded books on the internal memory, they will be erased; so you need to sideload them again, or use an external SD card.
Timur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 06:57 PM   #5
Doogman
Connoisseur
Doogman has learned how to read e-booksDoogman has learned how to read e-booksDoogman has learned how to read e-booksDoogman has learned how to read e-booksDoogman has learned how to read e-booksDoogman has learned how to read e-booksDoogman has learned how to read e-booksDoogman has learned how to read e-books

Device: Nook ST
Quote:
As long as the epub files you wish to load on the machine are without DRM, like those in Mobileread's own library, the answer is yes. In fact, that is how I've been using the Nook ST for the last week. I'm setting this reader up for my mom who doesn't have wifi or internet access. Since I'm going to sideloading everything anyway, it seemed stupid to bother with registering the nook.

Here's how after you initially charge the nook and activate the unit:

How to Skip OoBE Experience

1. Enter the Factory Screen by holding the TOP RIGHT Button and slide your
finger across the top of the Nook from left to right. A button labeled
"Factory" will appear in the top left of the screen.

2. Once in the Factory screen, hold down the TOP RIGHT Button and tap in the bottom right of the screen.

3. A new button will appear labeled "Skip Oobe". Tap that and you're done!

While you are at it, you might consider installing the latest software update, which you can manually d/l on your computer and install on the nook via USB.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/u/Soft...uch/379003175/

Now the Nook works exactly like my Sony 350, except it just looks and works better. I should have bought two of these things...

Last edited by Doogman; 11-30-2011 at 07:03 PM.
Doogman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 09:26 PM   #6
Timur
Connoisseur
Timur can name that ebook in five wordsTimur can name that ebook in five wordsTimur can name that ebook in five wordsTimur can name that ebook in five wordsTimur can name that ebook in five wordsTimur can name that ebook in five wordsTimur can name that ebook in five wordsTimur can name that ebook in five wordsTimur can name that ebook in five wordsTimur can name that ebook in five wordsTimur can name that ebook in five words

Device: EBW1150, Nook STR
I have used my Nook STR by skipping OoBE for two months long, and the standby battery usage was very high compared with the advertised "two months" of battery life. I had to recharge it every 4-5 days. My Nook was discharging at the rate of ~20% daily, with or without reading.

Finally after installing 1.1 update and seeing no change in battery usage, I have used "erase and deregister" and registered the Nook with BN. Now my Nook uses like ~2% charge daily in standby without reading. At this rate I guess I would need to recharge it every 3 weeks.

Maybe my experience was a fluke, but if you experience the same battery drain you might want to keep this in mind.
Timur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 03:49 PM   #7
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timur View Post
Maybe my experience was a fluke, but if you experience the same battery drain you might want to keep this in mind.
It's not a fluke, I have read similar reports.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 04:24 PM   #8
Doogman
Connoisseur
Doogman has learned how to read e-booksDoogman has learned how to read e-booksDoogman has learned how to read e-booksDoogman has learned how to read e-booksDoogman has learned how to read e-booksDoogman has learned how to read e-booksDoogman has learned how to read e-booksDoogman has learned how to read e-books

I think you are right, Timur. I just charged-up the Nook STR last night and the battery indicator is already down a notch. It seems like the wireless is stuck on all the time even though it's supposed to be off.

I'll try letting the STR access my wireless network and see if it actually shuts off the radio.
Old 12-03-2011, 10:12 AM   #9
Rob Lister
Fanatic
Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
I believe you have to register it first. You could consider buying an SD card and load it with the books you want to gift him.
That's the right idea. Not only do you get karma for that, you also win this thread.
Rob Lister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 12:10 PM   #10
drake-r8
drake-r8 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS T1 and Kobo wireless
Found the solution. You can use the nook touch and add books without registering first. Here is the link to the instructions: [URL="http://raviudeshi.com/2011/11/nook-touch-skip-registration"]
Simple and Easy. Thanks to all who contributed.
drake-r8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 04:00 PM   #11
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
As far as I can tell that's the same instruction that was posted earlier in this topic. Be aware that it might decrease battery life, according to the posts above you.

(And, for what it's worth, you do not need to add any credit card to your account as the blog post claims. Just add an e-mail address, real or fake and password. Still a PIA to have to register to use it!)
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 11:27 AM   #12
Doogman
Connoisseur

Just as a follow-up, I could find no way around the extra battery loss associated with skipping the OoBE. Like Timur suggested, I had to reset the Nook and register it. Now the battery meter is still showing 86% after a week since the last charge, were before it was down more than that in a day.

I already have a regular (with linked CC) B&N account to d/l and then deDRM the free B&N Classics when they are available. I might make another account as Asawi suggested just for authorizing the Nook ST since I don't use or want the account features. The extra features are actually somewhat annoying for me because right now it's "doubling-up" books I have already sideloaded.
Old 12-11-2011, 09:30 AM   #13
RAH
Guru
RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Color Nook; Nook Touch
I am not so sure that this battery drain problem is related to the use of an unregistered Nook. I have had trouble with 2 Touches in a row because they drained about 10-20% every day (WiFi off, sleep mode). There is a lengthy thread about my problems on this forum. I returned my first one and got a second and it behaves exactly the same.

I am still using the second and am using a solution - I charge it to 100%, then let it sleep overnight. It is usually then at about 88% (yes, overnight). I then tether it to my computer and let it recharge back up to 100%. After doing that, it works perfectly, draining about 2-3% per day..

I keep hoping that this behavior will eventually stop, but so far no such luck.

So, this is an issue with the Nook Touch in general. The only way I think you would be sure if this drain problem was the result of using an unregistered Nook is if you had a Nook you already knew worked OK - i.e. not a new one - and then reset it and tried to use it unregistered. Otherwise, any NEW Nook is liable to have this battery drain problem even if you use it registered.
RAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 08:49 AM   #14
ckchan
ckchan began at the beginning.

Device: nook
Thank you so much for the input guys! Some relatives from the States is coming to my country and asked them to buy me 2 nooks (1 for my dad). I was rather worried about the registration part since I'm not from the US. Also, I totally agree with the free classical ebooks on sites like project gutenberg or whatnot. This clears it up for me. Thank you very much!
ckchan is offline   Reply With Quote