Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 06-12-2010, 08:06 PM   #1
nascarrunner71
nascarrunner71 began at the beginning.

Device: K1, K2, DX, iPad
Aviation chart reader?

Anyone here using the ipad as a chart reader?

I am researching this for work and I'm interested in pro's and con's. I usually use Fltplan.com but I'm also familiar with foreflight.com.
nascarrunner71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 08:19 PM   #2
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
Interesting question. You might also want to ask it over at ipadforums.net .
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-12-2010, 08:24 PM   #3
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Perhaps check on WingX in the app store. An iPhone app, but perhaps will be iPad soon.... Also just type Aviation in the app store search, maybe some ideas there...

Sorry, all I can think of.
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 09:45 AM   #4
The Old Man
Fanatic
The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPad Pro, Fire 8", iPhone, PaperWhite 2
How about Aero Charts in the app store?
The Old Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 03:55 PM   #5
fordan
fordan began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
I use Foreflight on my iPad, and like it alot, although I've only used it VFR since I don't have my Instrument rating yet.

You could pull the charts down in PDF and use something like Goodreader or the upcoming version of iBooks to view them, but that seems a bit painful. You're then swapping out potentially quite a few PDF files every 28 days (assuming approach charts for IFR) vs letting an app take care of tracking chart expiration for you.

Foreflight's out for iPad, WingX has announced for iPad, and the Flight Guide folks were demo'ing an interesting beta at Sun 'n Fun back in April, supposed to be out soonish.

Up in the air, the 3G model's GPS is decent, but not great, especially since you can't relocate the GPS receiver for a better view of the sky (This might only be an issue for high-wing aircraft like what I fly currently). You don't need to have Cellular Data turned on to use the GPS. There is a slight glare issue, but it can be worked around with either shifting the iPad around a bit or anti-reflective screen protectors.
fordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-14-2010, 03:41 PM   #6
nascarrunner71
nascarrunner71 began at the beginning.

Device: K1, K2, DX, iPad
Thanks, Fordan. We print charts off of fltplan.com, but was hoping to replace our backup, NOS, full-US set we carry in the airplane with an ipad. Foreflight will do it, but I haven't found anybody doing it in a jet yet. Guess I'll be the first!
nascarrunner71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 10:21 AM   #7
cschneider
cschneider began at the beginning.

The iPad is the perfect, if not the best chart reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by nascarrunner71 View Post
Anyone here using the ipad as a chart reader?

I am researching this for work and I'm interested in pro's and con's. I usually use Fltplan.com but I'm also familiar with foreflight.com.
INMHO, the iPad is the perfect chart reader, if not the best. The screen size and quality make it easy to see. Approach plates fit nicely on it and highly readable. There are many apps now for the iPad to read charts on. These range from basic chart viewers to complete EFB that would include flight planning, navigation and weather.

If you go to www.MyGoFlight.com, you can see many of the apps for the iPad organized into pre-flight, in-flight, post-flight and in-education. There is also a case to fit the iPad for secure use in the cockpit in-flight called the iPad Kneeboard Pro.

Good luck with your project! You will be very happy with using the iPad for this purpose.

Charlie.
cschneider is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aviation