Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-29-2012, 03:38 PM   #1
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
350ppi OLED displays coming

Quote:
... if we're to believe a report from Korea that Samsung has perfected their FMM (Fine Metal Mask) production techniques to produce OLED displays at up to 350 ppi.
Source
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 11:18 PM   #2
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
These displays are moving beyond the unaided eye.
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-30-2012, 01:09 AM   #3
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaKing View Post
Well, I read somewhere that 300ppi (what Apple call "retina") is actually not high enough for the pixels to be indistinguishable to the human eye at the distance a phone is held. But I agree that for most purposes, it is more than enough.
Old 07-30-2012, 07:43 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
Well, I read somewhere that 300ppi (what Apple call "retina") is actually not high enough for the pixels to be indistinguishable to the human eye at the distance a phone is held. But I agree that for most purposes, it is more than enough.
I certainly can't detect any trace of the individual pixels on my iPhone 4, no matter how close to my eye that I hold it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 07:54 AM   #5
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaKing View Post
The unaided eye can see quite a lot, actually. If you can make out individual pixels (as squares) that's really really bad; but you can still see a difference in image quality as a whole well past the point of making out pixels.

Printers demonstrate this fine; there's an obvious difference depending on the DPI you choose even in the >1000 DPI range. OK, both paper and printers are unreliable (but so is E-Ink to some degree) but there is certainly a visible difference in quality of an image, for higher DPI values which displays are still far from reaching.

Still, that doesn't mean there should be 1000dpi displays. 350 certainly sounds nice, 100 is a bit low in any case. On the other hand, we're used to pixels by now and lots of code and web pages still work with pixels rather than more suitable units.
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-30-2012, 08:03 AM   #6
miguel1626
Great Old One
miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro, iPhone 8 Plus
Quote:
Technically it is not indistinguishable, but others have argued that for all practical purposes most eyes cannot resolve individual pixels:

Quote:
Let me make this clear: if you have perfect eyesight, then at one foot away the iPhone 4′s pixels are resolved. The picture will look pixellated. If you have average eyesight, the picture will look just fine.

So in a sense, both Jobs and Soneira are correct. At the very worst, you could claim Jobs exaggerated; his claim is not true if you have perfect vision. But for a lot of people, I would even say most people, you’ll never tell the difference. And if you hold the phone a few inches farther away it’ll look better.
miguel1626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 11:41 AM   #7
afv011
Captain Penguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by miguel1626 View Post
Technically it is not indistinguishable, but others have argued that for all practical purposes most eyes cannot resolve individual pixels:
Thanks, that's the info I read. Basically we agree, it is not true retina in the sense that the eye can still distinguish the pixels, but it is good enough.
Old 07-30-2012, 11:42 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thanks, that's the info I read. Basically we agree, it is not true retina in the sense that the eye can still distinguish the pixels, but it is good enough.
Some people must have eyesight that's a heck of a lot better than mine, in that case .
Old 07-30-2012, 01:23 PM   #9
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Some people must have eyesight that's a heck of a lot better than mine, in that case .
Professional baseball players run 20-12.
http://www.providencejournal.com/spo...ont-cut-it.ece

Not me, though.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 03:12 PM   #10
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Quote:
I certainly can't detect any trace of the individual pixels on my iPhone 4, no matter how close to my eye that I hold it.
That is because you are probably moving in to the realm of farsightedness
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 06:08 PM   #11
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
Ouch you set yourself up vote that one Harry
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 01:59 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
No, I'm (very) shortsighted, which means that I can see things very close to my eyes extremely well - much better than people with normal vision.
Old 07-31-2012, 02:19 AM   #13
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Quote:
No, I'm (very) shortsighted, which means that I can see things very close to my eyes extremely well - much better than people with normal vision.
Ohh, ok.
But shouldn't you be able to see individual pixels in a Retina display then?
Not that it is something that worries me, I can't see individual pixels on standard WXGA screens. I'd probably need a microscope to see individual pixels on a Retina display.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 02:23 AM   #14
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Professional baseball players run 20-12.
http://www.providencejournal.com/spo...ont-cut-it.ece

Not me, though.
My vision when I was flight training was 20/10. Lately I think it is closer to 20/15 but my close vision is no where near as good.
I actually have a 20 ft and a 10 ft Snellen chart where I give flying lessons, and the 20 foot goes to 20/15. I personally check my students vision and will check it again if they get a different pair of glasses or get new lazing. The trick to prevent memorization is to use a piece of cardboard with a hole in it for the individual letter. (I ran into fudging a few times.)

When I was in grammar school, and they used the E chart because you might not know your letters, I was 20/5 and a very proud little camper because they said I had the best vision in the school. As I understand it, it has to do with the density of the cones on your retina when you get below 20/20. The eye's optics will get you to the 20/20 but for better resolution, you need a greater than normal density. People like that will see the little pixels better.

In the old days, vision determined who could be a pilot, but now days you can have laser surgery. In fact the service will pay for it. They say the pilots are smarter these days because the people that used to wear glasses can now get lazed and fly. They vary the technique for the jet jockeys because of the G force that can occur.

A young child has wonderful vision and hearing. It just gets worse usually as we get older except the distant vision which if you are far sighted, usually holds up the best of all the senses.
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 12:19 AM   #15
grumbles
Addict
grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel (Black), T-2 and 3, Nexus 7
The standard resolution on a laser printer (without any enhancement) is 300 dpi. Those with exceptional eyesight might be able to pick out individual pixels at this resolution but the rest of us will not. I would love to have a reader with a 300 dpi screen. The closest I can get is with a Sony 350 which is about 200 dpi.

You can never be too rich, too skinny or have too high a resolution.
grumbles is offline   Reply With Quote