Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 12-28-2011, 08:38 PM   #1
Alantra
Enthusiast
Alantra began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Vox
Can I borrow from the library and read in Kobo?

Hi all... newbie Vox owner here. Got it for Christmas and really want to love it! I am having some freezing issues and I can't get it to do what I want.

I don't buy books much, I get my books from the library and this is what I want to continue doing with Ebooks.

I have successfully gotten the book I wanted via Overdrive but I can't get it to open/appear in the Kobo Library so that it runs through reading life. It will let me read it in Overdrive but that is not what I want.

Can someone help me out here?

Thank you so much!

Lori
Alantra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 08:46 PM   #2
peterhondak
Zealot
peterhondak is on a distinguished road

Device: KoboMini (mine and MIL) KoboVox(returned), sonytouch(mom's),samsung7"
I think you can only read it in overdrive.
peterhondak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 10:58 PM   #3
oldyellr
Evangelist
oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Kobo Vox, Amazon Fire 7
Reading Life only tracks books you read in the Kobo reader. To do that you would have to buy the book from the Kobo store. You can also access your public library with your desktop computer. If You have Adobe Digital Editions installed, you can go to your library with your browser and download the book you have borrowed and then it will appear in ADE and expire when it is to be returned. You can also return it early using ADE, in case you're a furious reader and always at your book limit. It's actually easier to read books with ADE if you're at your computer. Anyway, with ADE you'll have a copy of the book on your computer. Hypothetically, if you wanted to "steal" the library book you could remove the DRM from it and sideload it into the Kobo reader and read it there to get Reading Life stats. But you probably wouldn't want to do that just to bump up your stats.
oldyellr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 10:57 AM   #4
Alantra
Enthusiast

Well I don't want to steal anything.

I just want to use the reader that I bought as I thought it would work. I want to read books in the Kobo reader, not in the Overdrive App.

Can it be done? Otherwise I am thinking of going with a touch as I have to return the Vox I have due to a bunch of problems.

Thanks, Lori
Old 12-29-2011, 11:05 AM   #5
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alantra View Post
Well I don't want to steal anything.

I just want to use the reader that I bought as I thought it would work. I want to read books in the Kobo reader, not in the Overdrive App.

Can it be done? Otherwise I am thinking of going with a touch as I have to return the Vox I have due to a bunch of problems.

Thanks, Lori
Yes, you should be able to put it on your reader using Digital Editions.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 11:10 AM   #6
Alantra
Enthusiast

Pilotbob,

Thank you... have you done this?
Old 12-29-2011, 11:12 AM   #7
mr_nobody
Evangelist
mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: kobo mini, nexus 7 (2012), kobo vox
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Yes, you should be able to put it on your reader using Digital Editions.

BOb
This is simply wrong. The vox is not compatible with ADE nor will it ever be. If you really need to use ADE rather than the overdrive app on the vox, then you would be better off getting a kobo touch.
mr_nobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 11:16 AM   #8
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_nobody View Post
This is simply wrong. The vox is not compatible with ADE nor will it ever be. If you really need to use ADE rather than the overdrive app on the vox, then you would be better off getting a kobo touch.
Ok, doesn't the Vox support Adobe DRM? My understanding was that it did.

BOb
Old 12-29-2011, 11:17 AM   #9
mr_nobody
Evangelist
mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

It supports it via the overdrive app for android. But it does not talk to ADE.
Old 12-29-2011, 11:39 AM   #10
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
It supports it via the overdrive app for android. But it does not talk to ADE.
Is there no way to side load ePub books so that they show up in "Reading Library?"

BOb
Old 12-29-2011, 11:42 AM   #11
mr_nobody
Evangelist

Only by stripping the drm from them.
Old 12-29-2011, 11:53 AM   #12
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Only by stripping the drm from them.
OK, I'm confused. Doesn't the Kobo (of which the vox is one) ebook ecosystem use and support Adobe DRM?

BOb
Old 12-29-2011, 11:59 AM   #13
Alantra
Enthusiast

I don't know what half of the stuff you guys are talking about is!! So I am SOOO confused.. haha
Old 12-29-2011, 12:03 PM   #14
mr_nobody
Evangelist

Kobo has their own format of epub (kepub) which uses adobe drm. That is what the kobo reader software supports.

Overdrive books also use adobe drm but can only be read in the overdrive app unless they are stripped of drm in which case they can be imported to the kobo reader app.

The short answer is the vox is not the right device for this user, they would be better off with the touch.
Old 12-29-2011, 12:16 PM   #15
Marbles
Zealot
Marbles got an A in P-Chem.Marbles got an A in P-Chem.Marbles got an A in P-Chem.Marbles got an A in P-Chem.Marbles got an A in P-Chem.Marbles got an A in P-Chem.Marbles got an A in P-Chem.Marbles got an A in P-Chem.Marbles got an A in P-Chem.Marbles got an A in P-Chem.Marbles got an A in P-Chem.

Device: KoboTouch & Kobo Vox iPad2
Question. I want to read library books as well but am not concerned with how I read them. If I download overdrive to my vox how do I get the books loaded on the Vox??? As you can tell I am not very literate in all this stuff so would appreciate any help

Thanks
Marbles is offline   Reply With Quote