Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 06-18-2010, 09:52 PM   #1
Mickey330
Addict
Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis & the Kindle app on iDevices
15.2 Firmware and Themes

I was wondering if having a certain theme on your PB360 (versus the default) could make a difference in the stability of firmware version 15.2.

Here's why I ask:

I am using 14.2 after trying version 15.2 (twice). Until yesterday, 14.2 hadn't crashed in 10 days.

I was reading a DRM'd epub book from the library. I was reading it on Adobe (of course). I have the Adobe CSS hack installed, but this particular book must have had different coding, because the fonts were what came with the book, not the ones I installed with the hack.

Anyway.

As I was reading, the same thing happened that happened with version 15.2. The Adobe reader crashed and I could NOT open it again from neither the main menu or from within the Digital Editions folder. I could still open FBreader and read other epubs, just not the Adobe program. This was even after doing several resets.

I remembered that I had just changed to the Cleanlook theme, just before the reader crashed. For a last-ditch attempt, I changed the theme to stamir360. Ta da! I could open my Adobe DRM'd epub book.

Just for the heck of it - I could not open the Adobe program with the Covers theme either ... but Sheeps works.

Now I'm wondering if it could be some of the themes and how their programming is. Maybe they aren't "calling" the PB360 programs correctly or something like that (I don't know anything about programming with the Pocketbooks).

So, now to the point...

1) Any of y'all experience the same type of "crash" that I've gotten - where you could not open the reader program you were just using?

2) If you are using 15.2, what theme (if any) are you using? Do you get crashes like I've described? Do you get crashes at all?

3) If you are getting crashes with 15.2, can you get right back to your book (and the same page ... or near it)?

If some themes aren't "playing nice" with 15.2, I am willing to dump them to have the improved features of the upgrade. I can live with crashes, so long as I can re-open my book. I just can't handle not being able to access the program without a hard reset (or, at best, plugging the PB360 in to my PC and hoping that a powered soft reset works...).

Thoughts?

Thanks.

Marilyn

P.S. Of course, if what I said is confusing, please don't hesitate to ask for clarification. Thanks.
Mickey330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 11:35 PM   #2
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
When you say AdobeViewer crashes and it won't open again, are you talking about the same book or a different one?
I had a similar experience with the June 14 15.2; a book I converted via calibre from HTML crashed the AdobeViewer. When I tried to re-open it, nothing happened. I opened a *different* book (no reboot) and all was well.
Oddly enough, at the time, I created two books in calibre.
Both started in MS Word; one I saved as HTML the other as a LIT.
The LIT one, when converted to ePub worked fine to the end; the HTML one loaded abnormally fast and crashed when trying to get past the cover.
(The cover isn't a 3:4 aspect ratio image so that's something else I need to look into.)

The point about the Themes is interesting; I live in FIVE and except for the one file, 15.2 is stable. I'll try going to DEFAULT and see if it makes a difference.
Nope. No change.
Of course, the problem file works flawlessly in FBReader, giving the lie to my observation that Calibre unduly favors Adobe's interpretation of ePubs.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-19-2010, 02:52 AM   #3
IndecisiveMe
Addict
IndecisiveMe doesn't litterIndecisiveMe doesn't litter

Device: Pocketbook 360, Sony PRS-T1
I don't use AdobeViewer, so I can't comment on that aspect or your post, but I do use Cleanlook and my PB360 crashes/freezes A LOT. For instance, if I leave my reader on instead of turning it off every time I finish reading, I'll come back later and it will have rebooted itself and thrown me out of FBReader and I'm back at the main menu. Every time.

While reading (I only use FBReader) I'll go to turn a page and my reader will reboot. This happens a couple of times a day.

I hope it's not the themes, because I LOVE Cleanlook. I love the Easy view for my bookshelf.
IndecisiveMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 08:13 AM   #4
Mickey330
Addict
Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis & the Kindle app on iDevices
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
When you say AdobeViewer crashes and it won't open again, are you talking about the same book or a different one?
fjtorres: Yes, that's what I mean - at least for this time (with version 14.2). I could not get back into the book I was reading, but I could open a different one with Adobe.

Whereas, with 15.2, I could not open any book with the program that crashed until I did a re-set (soft, if I was lucky - hard reset if I wasn't).

IndecisiveMe: I also love Cleanlook (is my current theme). I also like stamir360 (although it doesn't have the Search function on the home menu - nor does it have Easy menus). I don't know if it's the themes that are causing the troubles, I just thought it interesting that I could re-open the same book once I switched themes (and couldn't open if I switched back to Cleanlook. If I may ask - can you try either Stamir360 (or the default) for a bit and see how your reader responds? I know it's a bother...

Thanks, y'all, for your comments and testing. I just want to use 15.2 (and its improvements) so badly - but gosh darn it, 14.2 is so stable!

Marilyn

Last edited by Mickey330; 06-19-2010 at 08:17 AM. Reason: Added stuff...
Mickey330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 08:53 AM   #5
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
I'll be doing a bit of testing myself; your idea has merit.
(I'll be trying Cleanlook instead of FIVE to see if things get worse for me. )

PB themes *aren't* just reskins so they *could* be a vector for bugs. (Its the price of flexibility.) I could live with the odd Theme-induced annoyance *if* I knew it was in fact Theme induced and it was my choice.

Presumably the Guys in Kiev should be looking into this possibility since they seem to be pulling their hair off trying to figure out why 15.2 seems less stable on PB360 than on 301. It *might* exonerate the firmmware itself or at least point them in the right direction if they're still unsure what is going on. And, well, the theme builder still targets the 301 primarily so there could be issues...

It's an interesting idea, worth looking into.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-19-2010, 11:21 AM   #6
Marcy
Guru
Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2
Hmm. I use cleanlook, have over 1800 books on my reader and am always reading several books at a time and my reader has never once crashed on me. Literally not one time since I've had it, with several hours of use daily. I use FBreader.

-Marcy
Marcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 11:31 AM   #7
IndecisiveMe
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy View Post
Hmm. I use cleanlook, have over 1800 books on my reader and am always reading several books at a time and my reader has never once crashed on me. Literally not one time since I've had it, with several hours of use daily. I use FBreader.

-Marcy
Which firmware version are you using and do you have the FBReader wrist page turn thing installed?
Old 06-19-2010, 06:12 PM   #8
Marcy
Guru
Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndecisiveMe View Post
Which firmware version are you using and do you have the FBReader wrist page turn thing installed?
Firmware 14.2.

I have the FBReader version with page turn thing, but I don't have it enabled. I hate the accelerometer -- when I'm reading in bed on my side the orientation always turns the wrong way. That version of FBReader has a ton of other options I love however.

-Marcy
Marcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 07:56 PM   #9
IndecisiveMe
Addict

I was getting occasional crashes/freezes with 14.2, but it was much better than 15.2.