Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-14-2008, 11:06 AM   #1
garada k-7
garada k-7 began at the beginning.

Device: SONY PRS505
Exclamation Cannot read RTF and DOC files in PRS505

Hello,
I can not read RTF and DOC files in my PRS505, when I try to open them, a warning error (!) appears saying "Invalid page". No matter if the file is stored in the SD card or in the memory device.
With Ebook Library, I can open and see those .doc and .rtf documents without any problem.
Anyone can help me please??? Thans a lot.
garada k-7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 11:31 AM   #2
jonathandt2
jonathandt2 began at the beginning.

Device: REB 1100
same here, I tried to open one today and my reader just froze and I had to reset it...

Jonathan
jonathandt2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-14-2008, 03:27 PM   #3
drwowe
Enthusiast
drwowe began at the beginning.

Device: none
There is no support for .doc files, regardless of what it says on the box. They must be converted.
RTF files do work, but the problem is that there many variations of RTF and they don't all work. I've had success with them by loading the file in WordPad and saving it to a new file, this has fixed all the RTF files I've had problems with.
drwowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 10:32 PM   #4
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
From the Sony site (emphasis mine):
Quote:
Media Formats Supported
Unsecured Text : BBeB Book, TXT, RTF, Adobe® PDF10, Microsoft® Word (Conversion to the Reader-requires Word installed on your PC)
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 02:39 PM   #5
garada k-7

Hello again, let me explain better:
As prs505 is supposed to read RTF files, and .pdf files are viewed so small, I converted the .pdf file to a .doc file (including images).
The .doc file size was 6 MB. So, when it was converted to a RTF file, the RTF file was 18 MB.
I think this is the problem, the device can not read big RTF files.
I have seen in others forums that PRS505 has problem in reading PDF files bigger than 5 MB.

Does anyone know about this trouble??
Advert
Old 06-15-2008, 03:45 PM   #6
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
It has been mentioned.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20100
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 02:32 PM   #7
garada k-7

Patricia, thanks a lot!!
Old 11-19-2008, 07:08 PM   #8
Vinnie@PAG
Vinnie@PAG began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Hi I'm new to this forum, but support a few of these in our office and came up with the following.
"eBook Library" (v2.3 at least) converts docs to rtf (with word installed of course)
max readable file size: approx 20mb
you can (hugely) reduce the size of rtfs (and docs) by stripping out the metadata. Manually stripping works best.
Vinnie@PAG is offline   Reply With Quote