Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 02-11-2013, 03:13 PM   #31
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Well, or tongue.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 03:30 AM   #32
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
The PocketBook Basic New looks nice, it's not touch at all:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ha0iEsN2Qnw

I've noticed that while I'm reading on the 505 I run my thumb down the centre of the screen to limit my eye fixations. If I did this with a touch ereader, would I be highlighting the text? That would be really annoying. Can you turn off touch screens?

I've also been wondering how the wi-fi works. Is it like a mobile phone, or like household internet connection? If the latter, I wouldn't be able to use it because my internet is all wired (I use a homeplug to get the internet in different rooms). This would be an advantage because it would mean that I'd READ rather than browsing the web while I'm using the ereader.

I've been looking into the accessories for the T2. Sony want a fortune for the charger. The charger for my 505 won't work because the 505 has a round port, not a mini usb for the charger. It does have a mini usb port for charging from the pc and for sideloading books. I have a mini-usb charger for an mp3 player, but it's only 5V; would this charge the T2? I hope this makes sense.

Also, can I sideload books onto the T2?
Thanks.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-12-2013, 11:00 AM   #33
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Wi-fi refers to a wireless home network rather than cellular mobile network. Therefore it wouldn't work for you at home if you have a wired network, but you could use it at a cafe, hotel, etc. You don't have to use the wireless if you don't want to. You can sideload your books to the T1 or T2 just like you do with your 505. I think they include a USB cable in the box so you could charge it through your computer. Most people have some kind of electronic gadget like a mobile phone that has a wall charger that works fine with the ereaders. You don't have to buy the expensive Sony version.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:28 PM   #34
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
Wi-fi refers to a wireless home network rather than cellular mobile network. Therefore it wouldn't work for you at home if you have a wired network, but you could use it at a cafe, hotel, etc. You don't have to use the wireless if you don't want to. You can sideload your books to the T1 or T2 just like you do with your 505. I think they include a USB cable in the box so you could charge it through your computer. Most people have some kind of electronic gadget like a mobile phone that has a wall charger that works fine with the ereaders. You don't have to buy the expensive Sony version.
Even for the old 505 you can just buy a cheap 3rd-party charger for the Sony PSP for a few bucks. But all newer ereaders probably use micro USB, anyway.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 01:23 PM   #35
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Thanks Bookworm_Girl, you've cleared up many issues I was muddled about. I'm glad that the wi-fi refers to a home wireless network, as this means that I'd be reading, not browsing, while on the new ereader.

I'm going to go into Birmingham and take a good look at the T2, if I like it, I'll purchase it. I just have to persuade a lazy friend to come with me - I always get lost in the city centre!
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-19-2013, 01:51 PM   #36
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Have fun shopping!
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 03:38 PM   #37
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Good luck with the T2.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote