Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

View Poll Results: eBook Management Method
Calibre 43 79.63%
Sony Software 1 1.85%
Drag N Drop (file explorer) 9 16.67%
Other 1 1.85%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-14-2011, 12:26 AM   #1
mrspaceman
Lurker in the Dark
mrspaceman is a marvel to beholdmrspaceman is a marvel to beholdmrspaceman is a marvel to beholdmrspaceman is a marvel to beholdmrspaceman is a marvel to beholdmrspaceman is a marvel to beholdmrspaceman is a marvel to beholdmrspaceman is a marvel to beholdmrspaceman is a marvel to beholdmrspaceman is a marvel to beholdmrspaceman is a marvel to behold

Device: Asus Transformer Prime, Sony PRS-T1, HTC Sensation
Question eBook Management Technique?

Which method do you use to manage the ebooks on your ereader?
mrspaceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 07:02 AM   #2
mrspaceman
Lurker in the Dark
mrspaceman is a marvel to beholdmrspaceman is a marvel to beholdmrspaceman is a marvel to beholdmrspaceman is a marvel to beholdmrspaceman is a marvel to beholdmrspaceman is a marvel to beholdmrspaceman is a marvel to beholdmrspaceman is a marvel to beholdmrspaceman is a marvel to beholdmrspaceman is a marvel to beholdmrspaceman is a marvel to behold

good results (from my point of view) so far.

if no one is using the Sony software, I will just use the calibre metadata file to get book details in my homescreen replacement (which is far easier for me)
Advert
Old 12-14-2011, 07:13 AM   #3
mwerle
Micha
mwerle could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mwerle could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mwerle could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mwerle could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mwerle could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mwerle could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mwerle could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mwerle could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mwerle could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mwerle could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mwerle could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kobo Glo
Just one question regarding using the Calibre metadata - what happens to ebooks which get downloaded OTA (Over The Air), such as ebook purchases or library books?

While I maintain the vast majority of my ebooks via Calibre, I do also have some puchased and library ebooks on the device which are downloaded directly via Wifi.

I haven't yet used your new Homescreen, but am very interested in its development and very much like the feature set that is evolving.

Best regards,
- Micha.
mwerle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 07:23 AM   #4
mrspaceman
Lurker in the Dark

if I changed to a 'pure calibre' option, then books downloaded via the Sony homescreen would not be found.
Also, any books copied onto the PRS-T1 using Drag N Drop would not be found.

What I am trying to do at the moment is use both Sony's data and the Calibre data.
but it is proving a bit difficult and I wondered if I really needed to.
Old 12-15-2011, 10:14 AM   #5
log
log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
mrspaceman -- Kolenka is a user here and he is the primary developer of the T1 calibre plugin.

To my understanding of following his work when he created the plugin -- he essentially reverse engineered the process of how Sony handles metadata updates (including some the strange behavoir) so if you use Calibre to manage your ebooks, it will not interfere with any other way of using your T1. So if you use Sony's SQLite db's for to get your metadata it will work for calibre users, drag and drop (and also assuming Sony Reader software).

Maybe Kolenka will check in here and elaborate if not maybe you can PM him to look at this thread he can hopefully help since he probably has the best understanding of how the T1 manages the books metadata.
log is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-15-2011, 01:05 PM   #6
mrspaceman
Lurker in the Dark

The reason I am looking at using the Calibre metadata, is that there is more info (tags, authors, series) in the calibre data which is not in the sony database.
Old 12-16-2011, 05:25 PM   #7
log
log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Everything is in books.db isn't it?

author is in books table, column name is author
tags / series really only applies calibre anyway right? Collections are only supported in built in reader app. collection is master table with names and ids, and there is collections table which is one to many with books (also has sort order)

I think if you want to support any way to manage books in your homescreen, you would have to go with the SQLite databases and/or scan each epub yourself and create a metadata cache similar to what calibre does. If you want to provide a "calibre enhanced" homescreen only then yes everything you can get from the calibre metadata cache on the device.

In anycase good luck with your project no mater what you decide to do!
log is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 01:39 AM   #8
mrspaceman
Lurker in the Dark

Not quite everything is in the Sony databases.

If you are using Calibre to manage your books then you should be able to use the same data (tags, series) to filter/sort the books on your device.

Also, if I make my homescreen use the Calibre metadata by default (and the sony data as 'extra' data) then I can support multiple ereader devices (such as the nook)