Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 05-20-2011, 10:00 PM   #16
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
I would enjoy reading The Maltese Falcon again, so I will third it, but personally I would not consider it to be a suspense/thriller.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 10:05 PM   #17
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Please ignore my nomination for Chocolate Chip Cookie Murder. It doesn't fit the topic.

I too feel that The Maltese Falcon is not a thriller/suspense. It's actually (IMHO) just a mystery.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-20-2011, 10:09 PM   #18
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

I would like to nominate The Spy Who Came in from the Cold by John le Carré. I have read Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy and subsequent "Smiley" novels and have always meant to read The Spy Who Came in from the Cold.

From Wikipedia:

The Spy Who Came in from the Cold (1963), by John le Carré, is a British Cold War spy novel that became famous for its portrayal of Western espionage methods as being morally inconsistent with Western democracy and values. The novel received critical acclaim at the time of its publication and became an international best-seller. The novel was selected as one of the All-Time 100 Novels by TIME Magazine.[1] In 2006, Publishers Weekly named it the “best spy novel of all-time”.

I will second The Spies of Warsaw by Alan Furst just because I've grown confident in Issybird's selections. I will also second The Day Of The Jackal by Frederick Forsyth because I read it long ago and recall being spell bound.
Old 05-20-2011, 10:18 PM   #19
TotallyEpic
Enthusiast
TotallyEpic began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 3G + Wifi
I nominate Killing Floor by Lee Child.

From Library Journal:
Quote:
The transient Jack Reacher finds himself in tiny Margrave, Georgia, and is almost immediately arrested, if briefly, as a murder suspect. Imagine his surprise when he discovers that one of the victims is his brother, a brilliant U.S. Treasury agent. Reacher himself is no slouch; a former military policeman, he can dispatch villains with an astonishing array of weapons, including various parts of his body. In the company of a straight-arrow detective and a beautiful lady cop, Reacher soon unearths a conspiracy stretching through the little town and beyond. Blood flows freely, terrible threats are made and carried out, and body parts accumulate.
From Amazon.com Review:
Quote:
When Jack Reacher suddenly decides to ask a Greyhound bus driver to let him off near the town of Margrave, Georgia, he thinks it's because his brother once mentioned that the famed blues guitarist Blind Blake died there. But it doesn't take long for the footloose ex-military policeman to discover that there are plenty of strange--and very dangerous--things going on behind Margrave's manicured lawns and clean streets that demand his attention. This first thriller by a former television writer features some of the best-written scenes of action in recent memory, a crash course in currency and counterfeiting, and a hero who is just begging to be called on for an encore.
Kindle - Amazon - $9.53

ePUB - BooksOnBoard - $9.99

InkMesh - 12 Links

Last edited by TotallyEpic; 05-20-2011 at 10:33 PM.
TotallyEpic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 10:19 PM   #20
Hoyt Clagwell
Not an Addict
Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The blue one next to the fish.
I will second The Spy Who Came in from the Cold .
Hoyt Clagwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-20-2011, 10:33 PM   #21
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by TotallyEpic View Post
I nominate Killing Floor by Lee Child.

From Library Journal:

From Amazon.com Review:

Kindle - Amazon - $9.53

ePUB - BooksOnBoard - $9.99

This has been a book club selection, the discussion is here...

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99281
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 10:34 PM   #22
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet53 View Post
I would like to nominate The Spy Who Came in from the Cold by John le Carré. I have read Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy and subsequent "Smiley" novels and have always meant to read The Spy Who Came in from the Cold.
You do realize this is #3 in a series and that's not good to nominate if the club has not read #1 & #2?
Old 05-20-2011, 10:34 PM   #23
TotallyEpic
Enthusiast
TotallyEpic began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 3G + Wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post

I saw after I posted Awesome book though :P
TotallyEpic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 10:35 PM   #24
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
You could nominate the 2nd Jack Reacher book.
Old 05-20-2011, 10:37 PM   #25
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet53 View Post
I will second The Spies of Warsaw by Alan Furst just because I've grown confident in Issybird's selections. I will also second The Day Of The Jackal by Frederick Forsyth because I read it long ago and recall being spell bound.
FYI, you can save your second of Spies of Warsaw for another book if you'd like as it's already made the cut.
Old 05-20-2011, 10:39 PM   #26
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
I would enjoy reading The Maltese Falcon again, so I will third it, but personally I would not consider it to be a suspense/thriller.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Please ignore my nomination for Chocolate Chip Cookie Murder. It doesn't fit the topic.

I too feel that The Maltese Falcon is not a thriller/suspense. It's actually (IMHO) just a mystery.
I took off Chocolate Chip Cookie Murder, thank you JSWolf.

When I looked up The Maltese Falcon it came up as Crime & Thriller, Fiction, Hard-boiled. So, I guess it qualifies unless other objections are posted and there is a need to check further.

Quote:

Quote:
I took off The Spy Who Came in from the Cold by John le Carré. Thank you TotallyEpic and AnemicOak.

[updated through post #26]

EDIT: oops, sorry -- The Spy Who Came in from the Cold is back on and The Killing Floor is withdrawn. Thanks for catching that AnemicOak.

Last edited by dreams; 05-20-2011 at 11:57 PM.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 10:51 PM   #27
arkietech
Connoisseur
arkietech shares his or her toysarkietech shares his or her toysarkietech shares his or her toysarkietech shares his or her toysarkietech shares his or her toysarkietech shares his or her toysarkietech shares his or her toysarkietech shares his or her toysarkietech shares his or her toysarkietech shares his or her toysarkietech shares his or her toys

Device: pc
I second The Day Of The Jackal by Frederick Forsyth

a good choice!
arkietech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 10:54 PM   #28
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams View Post
I took off The Spy Who Came in from the Cold by John le Carré. Thank you TotallyEpic and AnemicOak.

[updated through post #26]
It's Killing Floor by Lee Child that's been a club selection, not The Spy Who Came in from the Cold.
Old 05-20-2011, 11:14 PM   #29
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Don't know if it particularly matters to anyone but I don't believe The Spies of Warsaw is available in eBook form universally. I haven't been able to find a place I can buy it yet (Australia).
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 11:16 PM   #30
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Quote:
It's Killing Floor by Lee Child that's been a club selection, not The Spy Who Came in from the Cold.
Thanks for catching that AnemicOak. I have too many windows open adding and editing. I edited my previous post.

I believe post # 2 is all updated to this point with 3 fully nominated books now.

Last edited by dreams; 05-20-2011 at 11:22 PM.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote