Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-25-2012, 08:42 PM   #14956
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Earlier today I finished The Case of the Half-Wakened Wife by Erle Stanley Gardner. If you've ever wondered what makes Perry Mason fans Perry Mason fans, this is one of the ones that explains it.

One of Gardner's best.

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 12-25-2012 at 08:51 PM.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 12:18 PM   #14957
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
I just finished 11/22/63 by Steven King... seriously... read this book! 4.5 out of 5 stars.

I never heard the word "obdurate" before I read this book... but now I am sure I will never forget it!

Will probably read "The Game" next.. an actual paper book that I accidentally ordered instead of the Kindle version and I am too lazy to return.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-26-2012, 05:15 PM   #14958
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I head alot of kids that like Harry Potter also like Fabelhaven. Although I haven't read any of them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
Noted, I'll check it out.

Alan: Did you ever get a chance to check out this series?
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 05:50 PM   #14959
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Diane Duane

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I head alot of kids that like Harry Potter also like Fabelhaven. Although I haven't read any of them.
Quote:
Noted, I'll check it out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
Alan: Did you ever get a chance to check out this series?
The Young Wizards series by Diane Duane has 9 books published between 1983 & 2010. You can buy a complete set of the original books, containing both (DRM free) epubs and mobis direct from Diane Duane's website for $39.95. The Millennium Edition so far has the first book, So You Want to be a Wizard and the second book, Deep Wizardry (it has just been released as a Millennium version) in the series and they have been updated to appear as if they take place in the 21st century. I read So You Want to Be a Wizard, New Millennium Edition and was impressed enough to buy my 12 year old Grandson the complete set, for his Fire, for Christmas.

Last edited by alansplace; 12-26-2012 at 06:18 PM. Reason: oops!
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 05:58 PM   #14960
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Next up: The Venging by Greg Bear.
An interesting near to far future SF story, but I wasn't fond of the ending.

then I read: Eastern Standard Tribe by Cory Doctorow: An excellent near-future first person account of technology trends and social trends.

And now a freebie I picked up probably in 2008, Puppeteer by Jaebi.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-26-2012, 06:11 PM   #14961
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
I finally finished War of Honor, the tenth Honor Harrington novel by David Weber, a couple of nights ago while visiting family. I wasn't all that impressed, and it was way too long, but I'm glad I've got it out of the way.

Since I only had my kobo with me, and a mere hundred or so books to choose from, I haven't committed myself to anything else since, but have just read a couple of stories from the Mammoth Book of Locked-Room Mysteries and Impossible Crimes.

Actually, I'd kind of like to finish off the Foundation trilogy before the year is out. I read the first two earlier in the year. I might start Second Foundation tonight, an actual paper book.

I also finished Bye Bye Balham by comedian Richard Herring a few days ago. It's basically a collection of old blog posts,which I've been dipping into at odd moments all year. I liked it, but I was already a fan.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 06:37 PM   #14962
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
The Young Wizards series by Diane Duane has 9 books published between 1983 & 2010. You can buy a complete set of the original books, containing both (DRM free) epubs and mobis direct from Diane Duane's website for $39.95. The Millennium Edition so far has the first book, So You Want to be a Wizard and the second book, Deep Wizardry (it has just been released as a Millennium version) in the series and they have been updated to appear as if they take place in the 21st century. I read So You Want to Be a Wizard, New Millennium Edition and was impressed enough to buy my 12 year old Grandson the complete set, for his Fire, for Christmas.

Oops. I meant Fabelhaven.

I have So You Want to Be a Wizard, but have not read it as yet.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 06:41 PM   #14963
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Well, I tried. I gave it a hundred pages, but 'Fifty Shades of Grey' was just not what I had expected... I felt like I was reading a 3rd year college English major's homework assignment... a 3rd year college English major who needs 'more of a social life' (to say it politely.)

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 07:10 PM   #14964
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Oops!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
Oops. I meant Fabelhaven.

I have So You Want to Be a Wizard, but have not read it as yet.
I did read The Millennium Edition of So You Want to Be a Wizard. The reply of mine you quoted referred to the Diane Duane series, Young Wizards. I've never investigated Fabelhaven.

alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 02:28 AM   #14965
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
Time to start Tower of Midnight by Robert Jordan and Brandon Sanderson, book 13 of the Wheel of Time. Hopefully I can finish it before the 31st to complete my 2012 goals, but if not I should certainly* be able to finish it before January 8 which is when I should receive the next and final book. That is my real deadline.

*Provided the Mayans were wrong of course!
DONE! Yay!

Now for a couple short stories to finish out the year and give myself a clean start for next year. I will start with "Shear Terror" by David Adams and then maybe "Fluke: Langara's Prize" by Cyril Kowaliski.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 03:58 AM   #14966
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
And now a freebie I picked up probably in 2008, Puppeteer by Jaebi.
A good start for an SF police procedural, but trails off toward the end.

Next: Falling onto Mars by Geoffrey A. Landis. A freebie I picked up in 2003!
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 06:57 AM   #14967
Mel Comley
Addict
Mel Comley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel Comley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel Comley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel Comley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel Comley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel Comley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel Comley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel Comley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel Comley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel Comley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel Comley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
The Gifts by Linda Prather. Excellent paranormal mystery that's keeping me glued to the edge of my seat.

http://www.amazon.com/Gifts-Jacody-M...ords=The+gifts
Mel Comley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 09:33 AM   #14968
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Just finished Under the Banner of Heaven by Jon Krakauer, a very interesting and scary history of the Mormon church.

Next up And Then There Were None by Agatha Cristie
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 09:47 AM   #14969
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidym View Post
Just finished Under the Banner of Heaven by Jon Krakauer, a very interesting and scary history of the Mormon church.
Hmmm....sounds interesting....Thanks Cassidym!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 10:26 AM   #14970
PurpleStar
Wizard
PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Clara 2E
I am now reading the Wool omnibus by Hugh Howey. It's looking good so far!!
PurpleStar is offline   Reply With Quote