Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 04-16-2010, 09:18 PM   #31
Katelyn
Addict
Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Pocketbook 360, Iphone 3g, Sony 505, REB1200, GEB1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulin's Books View Post
mine is on the way from the manufacturer. Interesting- they had a largish order for a branded device so ill be getting one with that companies name on it. It'll be interesting to see who when it arrives.

no word from haleron itself. few more days and it gets disputed with visa.
I haven't gotten a reply from any of the three Chinese companies I emailed. I'd be interested in the place you ordered yours unless you ordered it as a company and not as an individual. I'll PM you the three companies I found that listed the same device we're talking about. Not sure how all 3 can be the manufacturer.

On a side note, I also decided not to ask for a refund from Enso. I emailed them about it and supposedly the zenpad will ship to me on May 8th. Yea, call me fallible but I'm rolling the dice. Heck, maybe I'll even get one to try it out.
Katelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 02:54 PM   #32
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
The current Enso Zenpad has a pretty small screen -- the entire device is only 5" long. Personally, I'd hold out for a 7" model if e-books is a prime, but not exclusive, requirement. I'm quite excited about what appears to be coming down the pipe for Android devices -- it looks like a veritable deluge of devices arriving in the next 90 to 180 days and from start-ups to mainstream vendors.

Nonetheless, the specs for the Enso Zenpad are impressive:
http://www.enso-now.com/specifications/

They claim forward compatibility with Android 2.x (ships with 1.6); wifi built in; 8GB SDHC card included; can expand to 32 GB. Two drawbacks: there is no HDMI output and any device which needs a stylus gives me great pause. That's also another reason to consider a larger screen. The six hr battery life is ok but the next gen are all going to be in the 10 hr range -- Apple having set this new standard. Oh yah, and there is no accelerometer -- which is pretty much a must have in this class of device.

I do like the price: under $200 which includes worldwide shipping.

As an alternative if money is really burning a hole in your pocket, there is the SmartQ V7 at under $300 including shipping. I'd also keep my eye on the Huawei Smakit 7; there are a couple of details videos online that are mighty tasty.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 03:31 PM   #33
Katelyn
Addict
Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensualPoet View Post
The current Enso Zenpad has a pretty small screen -- the entire device is only 5" long. Personally, I'd hold out for a 7" model if e-books is a prime, but not exclusive, requirement. I'm quite excited about what appears to be coming down the pipe for Android devices -- it looks like a veritable deluge of devices arriving in the next 90 to 180 days and from start-ups to mainstream vendors.
I collect all sorts of readers and don't mind a 5" screen from time to time. I've used a 7" as well and just ordered another one last night to try out. I like a 6" screen best for day to day reading on the go but for backlit devices, it's going to be 5" or 7" only.

Quote:
They claim forward compatibility with Android 2.x (ships with 1.6)
Actually, they will be shipping with Android 2.1 now.

From the blog on their Website:
In the meantime we did complete the porting of Androind 2.1 "Eclair" for the Zenpad, so all the devices will be shipped with this version instead of the old Android 1.6 "Donut". The firmware will be available on our website and all our customers will have access to their private area for downloading operating manuals and documentation.

Quote:
Two drawbacks: there is no HDMI output and any device which needs a stylus gives me great pause.
Personally, 1) I have no interest in HDMI output and for the price, you're not going to get all bells and whistles . 2) The zenpad does not require a stylus. Again, watch the video on their Website. Charbax demonstrates the touch screen and also shows the stylus for folk who want to use one.

Quote:
Oh yah, and there is no accelerometer -- which is pretty much a must have in this class of device.
Maybe there isn't an accelerometer but the screen can be rotated to landscape on the fly. I always turn off an accelerometer anyway and manually change the orientation. That's just my preference.

I'm not a cheerleader for the zenpad by any means but I wanted to point out the discrepancies between what you believe about the device and what I'd read and seen in the video demo of the device.

Once I get the zenpad (assuming it actually ships on May 8th) and the device I ordered last night (same device Dullen's Books mentioned in this thread), I'll post pics, etc.

Last edited by Katelyn; 04-18-2010 at 04:44 PM.
Old 04-18-2010, 03:49 PM   #34
Dellaster
本の虫
Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle3, DXG, Fire · iPad, iPod
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katelyn View Post
On a side note, I also decided not to ask for a refund from Enso. I emailed them about it and supposedly the zenpad will ship to me on May 8th. Yea, call me fallible but I'm rolling the dice. Heck, maybe I'll even get one to try it out.
I sincerely hope your dice come up winners. But ... these people had it for sale on their website, claiming they ship within seven business days, when they hadn't even ordered any from the manufacturer (i.e. there never was any possible way that could be true). Nobody has ever received a unit; nobody has ever to my knowledge received a refund.

The response to my request for a refund on April 8 came about a week later (Apr 14) in a general info update that stated, in part:
- Refunds
Due to technical problems we are not able to issue refunds now, if you have ordered a ZenPad and want to be refunded for any reason, file a dispute with Paypal (directly from paypal website).
Be aware that the new sale price for zenpad basic version will be 199 USD.
Fortunately I had already started the process with PayPal. Unfortunately, PayPal immediately told me that contact with the seller was impossible and the only option was to escalate the dispute to the highest level. My personal opinion? I have been well and truly scammed and I'll never see my money again.

I hope I'm wrong. But until actual units are received by trustworthy sources I advise people to not order one. (A review unit sent to enGadget, if that happens, does not count. It might only mean that they could obtain a base unit from the manufacturer and, within two weeks, dress it up as a production unit.)

Buyer beware.
Dellaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 04:20 PM   #35
Katelyn
Addict

Yep, I know the zenpad may never really appear. I ordered one on March 23rd and I've followed all the stories, read the angry posts from people who paid and expected the device within 10 days. I expected it as well. It'll either make and appearance or it won't.

I'm going to wait and see before I start yelling scammer. I hope the entire fiasco was caused by a convergence of a number of things... a company that hoped to get some ordersto grab some working capital to start the ball rolling and Engadget (and dozens of other sites) posting a story about the zepad and overwhelming the company with orders. This caused the owner to fess up that they didn't have any more zenpads on hand and everything went wonky. I read they only had 25 to start with and those ran out immediately after the Web stories came out. Stupid? Idiotic? Big YES. Will we even get our orders? Who the heck knows.

If you haven't ordered a zenpad, then don't order one unless it becomes a reality.
Old 04-18-2010, 04:24 PM   #36
jalandar
Connoisseur
jalandar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jalandar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jalandar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jalandar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jalandar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jalandar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jalandar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jalandar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jalandar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jalandar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jalandar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Samsung Galaxy Tab 4, Asus TF300T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dellaster View Post
nobody has ever to my knowledge received a refund.[/I]
I can put that to rest, I did get a refund.

That said, I too say buyer beware in this case, especially with the founder's history with "failed" startups.
jalandar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 04:29 PM   #37
Dellaster
本の虫
Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalandar View Post
I can put that to rest, I did get a refund.
Was that from Enso or from your credit card/PayPal/other?
Old 04-18-2010, 04:32 PM   #38
Dellaster
本の虫

Quote:
This caused the owner to fess up that they didn't have any more zenpads on hand and everything went wonky. I read they only had 25 to start with and those ran out immediately after the Web stories came out.
I have seen no evidence that even one shipped. Surely if they shipped 25 someone would post something about it, like "hey, I got my zenPad!" or something? I've Googled and there are none.

But hey, I want to be wrong about it being a scam. I have $215 riding on the outcome.
Old 04-18-2010, 04:40 PM   #39
SamuraiXSendai
Addict
SamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 1. Kindle 2. IPAD. KDXG. Kindle 3.Fire
Dell Mini 5, works as a phone, has the full complement of Amazon functions, ereader, movie player. Two cameras one for video conferencing. I believe it also will have removeable storage. Perfect (for me, anyway) if the data plan is affordable.
SamuraiXSendai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 04:52 PM   #40
jalandar
Connoisseur
jalandar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jalandar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jalandar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jalandar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jalandar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jalandar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jalandar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jalandar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jalandar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jalandar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jalandar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The dell looks nice, when it ships, but I doubt it will come in inside the price range I am looking for. The limited uses for a tablet just don't justify anything higher than $300 for me, and the dell device looks to be heading for as much as double (minimum) or even triple that depending on who you listen to.

Still looking at the Archos 7 home tablet (but only because the home brew guys are likely to get market working on pretty quickly), or the iLet like device possibly. I have a couple hundred in Amazon credit sitting in my account, so the Archos benefits from that fact too.
Old 04-20-2010, 02:00 PM   #41
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Quote:
I collect all sorts of readers and don't mind a 5" screen from time to time. I've used a 7" as well and just ordered another one last night to try out.
Thanks very much for the detailed response about impressions of the Zenpad.

I am toying with the Haleron -- not purchased through them but through an e-bay site. It's abt $200 including shipping to Canada.

http://stores.shop.ebay.ca/Stephen-a...__W0QQ_armrsZ1

UPDATED: I queried this dealer - the unit is NOT the Haleron although the specs are similar. It is also not able to upgrade to Android 2.x which is enough for me to stay patient. Kudos to the vendor, however, for a quick and detailed response.

Last edited by SensualPoet; 04-21-2010 at 07:17 AM. Reason: Later info from vendor
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 07:59 AM   #42
Katelyn
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensualPoet View Post
I am toying with the Haleron -- not purchased through them but through an e-bay site. It's abt $200 including shipping to Canada.
I ordered a Haleron-type device directly from China and it is supposed to ship tomorrow. If and when it arrives and I confirm it's the real deal, I'll let you know where I got it. The price was -well, I won't say it here at this time but if I really get it, I'll let you know. It puts the Haleron price to shame. Keeping my fingers crossed.
Old 04-21-2010, 09:49 AM   #43
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
I ordered a Haleron-type device directly from China and it is supposed to ship tomorrow. If and when it arrives and I confirm it's the real deal, I'll let you know where I got it. The price was -well, I won't say it here at this time but if I really get it, I'll let you know. It puts the Haleron price to shame. Keeping my fingers crossed.
You are extremely brave , hope it works out for you!
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 10:22 AM   #44
Katelyn
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
You are extremely brave , hope it works out for you!
Yea, I do this instead of going to Las Vegas...better odds.
Old 04-21-2010, 06:10 PM   #45
jalandar
Connoisseur

Good luck Katelyn, and thanks yet again for taking one for the team

Looking forward to hearing how it turns out.

Tags
android, tablet