Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-25-2015, 11:00 PM   #1
AppleTard
AppleTard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AppleTard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AppleTard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AppleTard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AppleTard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AppleTard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AppleTard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AppleTard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AppleTard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AppleTard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AppleTard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Dual MOBI cover problems

Hi,

I've recently decided to to convert my books to dual mobi format because it's inherently better than the old MOBI, and Amazon doesn't allow you to send pure azw3 files through its "Send to Kindle" app. And this part is important: I highly value Amazon's cloud for storing my books, since it keeps everything synched between my devices.

My primary ebook reader is the Kindle Voyage. When I Mobi files using the old format, the cover shows up just fine. However, if I send it as a dual Mobi, there's no cover thumbnail on the "cover view."

Am I doing anything wrong, or is this the expected behavior? I know the cover image is in the book - if I flip back the pages, I can see it. The problem is restricted to the thumbnail image.

It's not a big deal, though - I can always switch to list view. I just want to know whether I'm the one causing the issue, or if anything can be done about it.

Thanks in advance.
AppleTard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 11:20 PM   #2
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
I'm not positive, but I think this is the expected behavior, and it's what's happening for me.

I've been experimenting with the "Fix ASIN for KindleFire" command in the Quality Check plug-in", which will cause a Kindle to download covers for AZW3, but it doesn't seem to work for AZW3s inside dual-MOBIs.
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 12:16 AM   #3
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
That is a bug in Amazon's Personal Documents service. In order to understand what is going on, you will first have to understand a bit more about covers.

For books you download from Amazon (or actually anything that has an ASIN), the Kindle will ignore the cover inside the book, and attempt to download the cover from Amazon's server (using the ASIN to identify the correct book to retrieve a cover for).
For sideloaded books, assuming you do not use calibre or Java Mobi Metadata Editor to embed an ASIN, the cover is extracted from the ebook file.

All this is irrespective of whether or not there is an actual, honest-to-goodness cover embedded in the book.

If you sideload with calibre, caliibre will notice that the book has an ASIN, and sideload a cover to go with the book -- this is very useful when the ASIN is a fake one generated by calibre's conversion because otherwise you would have *no* cover.

Why does this matter? Because a book that has gone through the Personal Documents service has an ASIN -- the one that links it to your cloud account.
The cover will not be extracted from the book.

And there is apparently a bug in the service, that prevents it sending covers for an AZW3 (but a MOBI works fine).

@quiris has written a cross-platform application that will extract the cover from the *.azw3 and generate a cover thuumbnail, see post #14 of this thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=212242
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 10:58 PM   #4
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for the clarification, eschwartz! As much as I like my Kindle, the way Amazon handles covers is frustrating :/
Old 08-28-2015, 06:49 PM   #5
EbokJunkie
Addict
EbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle PW, Pocketbook 301+, Pocketbook Touch, Sony 950, 350
@odamizu
This Python script completes extraction of cover (broken in Kindle software) from azw3 book downloaded to your PW or Voyage. Just run it in command line directly over the downloaded azw3 file (in Documents folder) with key -cl and key value yes (-cl yes).
EbokJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 07:53 PM   #6
odamizu
just an egg

Thanks! I will look into it.
Old 08-29-2015, 03:29 PM   #7
AppleTard
AppleTard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AppleTard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AppleTard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AppleTard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AppleTard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AppleTard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AppleTard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AppleTard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AppleTard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AppleTard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AppleTard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Thanks for the in-depth explanation, eschwartz. I'll just switch to list view and don't worry about covers anymore. Maybe Amazon will fix it eventually.
AppleTard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 01:00 AM   #8
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If list view is fine with you, then sure.

If you are attached to your covers, or just think it is worth it to run a simple app which fixes everything, then use quiris' app which I linked to above -- which to save you added link-following (since I linked the discussion, which links to the app, maybe that was too indirect ) is here: https://github.com/quiris11/ExtractCoverThumbs/releases

@odamizu, don't use the program @EbokJunkie linked to, it is far newer, appears to do something totally different that merely coincidentally fixes covers, and requires you to run again and again for every file you want to fix.
Also, I know quiris' app sizes images properly for the larger-resolution E-Ink devices, and goes above and beyond the call of duty by shifting thumbnails up to account for the "Personal" banner.
Old 08-30-2015, 01:32 PM   #9
odamizu
just an egg

Quiris's app is fabulous! Thanks again, eschwartz, for the pointer. Unexpected bonus: apnx file for page numbers.

Do you happen to know how the page numbers are calculated? Just curious, and the GitHub explanation went over my head.
Old 08-30-2015, 02:13 PM   #10
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

The page numbers are inspired from calibre's more complete offering.

AFAIK, you would need to create a CSV containing mappings between the book ASIN and the correct page count, or else it just uses calibe's original "fast" method.
Old 08-30-2015, 05:52 PM   #11
odamizu
just an egg

Thanks! Calibre's "fast" method is good enough for me