Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 11-24-2009, 09:03 PM   #16
Dahak
Zealot
Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony PRS-505(LC) & Rocket eBook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Tyson View Post
Thanks - can't access the Bolo! book by the looks - something to do with the punctuation - or other bug?

Cheers,

bt
It seems that Arnold builds the CDs with a Windows box. The Windows file system is not case sensitive.

The site runs on Debian Linux, which is case-sensitive.

So a case error that Windows would ignore is a deal-breaker under Linux.

It's funny that you mentioned this because I'd just finished going through the error logs from the last few hours of yesterday's traffic and gone through and fixed as many of the case issues that I've seen.

It's a regular thing I have to do with each new CD, so this doesn't surprise me in the least.

Bolo! is one of those collections I have to fix with every Weber-themed disk. It should work now.

I wish Arnold would proof the disks on a Mac before sending them off for pressing.

-Joe
Dahak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 09:06 PM   #17
Dahak
Zealot
Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnFalcon View Post
It's down ><

Oh well I can wait

(great service, haven't said that recently)
I got a bunch of watchdog email alerts today.

I have no idea if it's simply high traffic, or my host's occasional flightiness.

-Joe
Advert
Old 11-24-2009, 09:17 PM   #18
Critteranne
Guru
Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Yay!

I've wanted a copy of Storm from the Shadows even though the reviews were sort of middling, because Mike Henke is cool. If I like it, I'll probably end up buying the paperback anyway.
Critteranne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 03:50 AM   #19
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahak View Post
I wish Arnold would proof the disks on a Mac before sending them off for pressing.
But Macs are (by default) non-case-sensitive too. He'd need a case-sensitive unix box.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 06:00 AM   #20
Gudy
Wizard
Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux (623)
Quote:
I have no idea if it's simply high traffic, or my host's occasional flightiness.
Are you on Dreamhost? I've had another site I visit with some regularity, which I know to be hosted on Dreamhost, display the exact same problems as yours in exactly the same time frame, which would tend to point towards a problem at the hosting company.

Also, thanks for the new CD!
Gudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-25-2009, 07:41 AM   #21
Dahak
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
But Macs are (by default) non-case-sensitive too. He'd need a case-sensitive unix box.
I'm not a Mac-head, but I was under the distinct impression that OS-X was Unix-based.

-Joe
Old 11-25-2009, 07:43 AM   #22
Dahak
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gudy View Post
Are you on Dreamhost? I've had another site I visit with some regularity, which I know to be hosted on Dreamhost, display the exact same problems as yours in exactly the same time frame, which would tend to point towards a problem at the hosting company.

Also, thanks for the new CD!
Yes, I am.

I'll have to see if anyone else was exhibiting problems there.

Every once in a while I get spasms of connectivity issues, which then 'mysteriously' disappear.

-Joe
Old 11-25-2009, 07:56 AM   #23
radius
Lector minore
radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura One, Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e, Google Pixel Slate
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhadin View Post
Yes, I liked Crown of Slaves. I wasn't thinking about whether it fit into Honorverse, I liked it as a story and book. Generally, I like David Weber's writing since I discovered him through Baen last year. Consequently, I now order hardcover copies of his books just because they have his name as author. But Torch was a disappointment. Almost like he was asked to have something out for the holiday season and so he slapped something together or didn't give it much input, leaving the writing to Eric Flint.
Haha, that's what I felt when I was reading Crown of Slaves... To me it was like reading one of the Belisarius novels set in space

I'm glad you got your money's worth though!
radius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 11:34 AM   #24
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
This is true, but Mac OS X is still normally case insensitive.

It's possible to format a boot disk with a case-sensitive version of HFS+ to make Mac OS X run in a case-sensitive manner, but it's not the default and may well cause problems with third-party software.

Quote:
I'm not a Mac-head, but I was under the distinct impression that OS-X was Unix-based.

-Joe
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 04:16 PM   #25
radius
Lector minore
radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura One, Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e, Google Pixel Slate
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
This is true, but Mac OS X is still normally case insensitive.
Just to clarify a little, Apple made the decision that Macs should be case-preserving (ie: if you decide some letters should be caps then they will stay caps) but not case-sensitive (ie: but you can still refer to the files using either upper or lower case)
radius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 04:18 PM   #26
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by radius View Post
Just to clarify a little, Apple made the decision that Macs should be case-preserving (ie: if you decide some letters should be caps then they will stay caps) but not case-sensitive (ie: but you can still refer to the files using either upper or lower case)
Of course, it is possible to format your Mac drive with the case-sensitive HFS file system. However, my understanding is this breaks alot of Mac apps... since they are all built and tested on the default case-sensitive file system.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 11:31 AM   #27
marvmax
marvmax began at the beginning.

Device: iPod Touch 8gb
I agree with everything that rhadin wrote about Torch of Freedom. I'm going to give my two cents worth for what it is worth (probably less the two cents). I think that the story line in Slaves and Torch is going to link up with the Storm from the Shadows story line, at least I'm hoping that they do. I think the reason that these books are dragging in the beginning is that the authors are having to go back (so to speak) and lay the ground work. If I remember correctly it seemed that about the first 1/4 of the Torch book takes place before you even get to the where Slaves ended.

Webscriptions does rock. Even thought this book is a less than stellar effort you can't argue about the Baen pricing scheme. And these types of books are more than made up for with the discovery of new authors I might not have found such as Travis Taylor, and Tom Kratman.
marvmax is offline   Reply With Quote