Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-20-2024, 11:04 AM   #61
Jane Eyre
Zealot
Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Kindle P.white3/Kobo Clara 2E
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
That's why I patch mine. With patches, I like them much more than I ever did Kindles. Without patching I wouldn't want to read on them. But then I no longer want to read on Kindles either, which are also lacking and you can't even patch them like Kobos.
Sorry, but..all that goes beyond my feelings, my understanding. Don't you care about risking a jailbreak? To me, this would be a good reason for preventing me to do such an activity.
Otherwise, I don't see why getting a kobo if you then change it into something different..why did you buy them? Maybe I'm wrong.
Jane Eyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2024, 11:08 AM   #62
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane Eyre View Post
Sorry, but..all that goes beyond my feelings, my understanding. Don't you care about risking a jailbreak? To me, this would be a good reason for preventing me to do such an activity.
Otherwise, I don't see why getting a kobo if you then change it into something different..why did you buy them? Maybe I'm wrong.
You don't need to jailbreak a Kobo to patch it or to edit the config file. Kobos have an open OS; no jailbreaking needed. Patches are easy to install and to undo. There's no risk.

I got a Kobo knowing I'd probably patch it, to get my perfect reader. I was dissatisfied with Kindles by that point, because unlike Kobos you can change very few things about them. I didn't like an unpatched Kobo much either, but I love my patched Kobos.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-20-2024, 11:10 AM   #63
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claude_C View Post
So, an invisible fact. Cool.
Ultrasound is invisible; word spacing and typography are plenty visible, even if you personally are unable to see them. I've compared epub and kepub (with the same font settings) side by side via screenshots; their different word spacing was perfectly visible.
Old 03-20-2024, 11:20 AM   #64
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Come on… That is just not true. Period.
It is true.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2024, 11:21 AM   #65
deleted2
Member Retired
deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: N/A
Quote:
You don't need to jailbreak a Kobo to patch it or to edit the config file. Kobos have an open OS; no jailbreaking needed. Patches are easy to install and to undo. There's no risk.

I got a Kobo knowing I'd probably patch it, to get my perfect reader. I was dissatisfied with Kindles by that point, because unlike Kobos you can change very few things about them. I didn't like an unpatched Kobo much either, but I love my patched Kobos.
One thing, tough, with patches : you have to go through the process every time you update the Kobo firmware. There used to be updates often. Now, it's been a while.
deleted2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-20-2024, 11:22 AM   #66
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Just because it's not noticed doesn't mean it's not there. If you didn't notice a lack of kerning, that doesn't mean it's not there.
Old 03-20-2024, 11:22 AM   #67
deleted2
Member Retired
deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
It is true.
Sure, whatever.
Old 03-20-2024, 11:23 AM   #68
deleted2
Member Retired

Quote:
Ultrasound is invisible; word spacing and typography are plenty visible, even if you personally are unable to see them. I've compared epub and kepub (with the same font settings) side by side via screenshots; their different word spacing was perfectly visible.
Good for you.
Old 03-20-2024, 11:33 AM   #69
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
One thing, tough, with patches : you have to go through the process every time you update the Kobo firmware. There used to be updates often. Now, it's been a while.
Yes, if you want to install every update Kobo sends out, it could be a bother. I don't install every update, but only those having a fix or a feature I want. So for me patching has never been particularly bothersome, but a major advantage of Kobos over Kindles.

Of course, I like to tinker. I love to tinker with my books in Calibre and with the device settings to get that perfect look (I'm fussy). You, on the other hand, seem to be the type who has no particular love for tinkering, so it makes sense you'd prefer Kindles over Kobos. People are different.
Old 03-20-2024, 11:37 AM   #70
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
If you setup the patches using the file kobopatch.yaml to put in the names of all the patches and select the ones you want, redoing the patches for the next firmware update is very easy. You only have to make changes if there are changes to any of the patches.
Old 03-20-2024, 12:30 PM   #71
deleted2
Member Retired

Quote:

Of course, I like to tinker. I love to tinker with my books in Calibre and with the device settings to get that perfect look (I'm fussy). You, on the other hand, seem to be the type who has no particular love for tinkering, so it makes sense you'd prefer Kindles over Kobos. People are different.

I used to like tinkering. I ran Linux on my laptop. I used Android and tried different roms. I applied many patches on my Kobo. etc.

But I guess I'm getting old. Now, I just want things to work.
Old 03-20-2024, 12:30 PM   #72
pikachuyann
pikachuyann began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Elipsa 2E
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
As for KePub being faster, that used to be true, but not any longer.
Some of the technical/coding epubs I've got from (the recent bundles on) humblebundle work fine on koreader, but not on the default software of my Kobo Elipsa - it hangs up several tens of seconds (sometimes even enough to have the kobo restart).

Converting it using kepubify and loading the kepub instead, it loads within 5 seconds and page turns are instant.

Also, it is one of the possible fixes to get the missing mathematical symbols from an epub (here using an epub from EDP sold by Eyrolles that works fine on other readers (like calibre or koreader)).

Still, I'm curious of the actual technical reason behind this; felt a bit frustrating.
pikachuyann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2024, 12:36 PM   #73
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikachuyann View Post
Some of the technical/coding epubs I've got from (the recent bundles on) humblebundle work fine on koreader, but not on the default software of my Kobo Elipsa - it hangs up several tens of seconds (sometimes even enough to have the kobo restart).

Converting it using kepubify and loading the kepub instead, it loads within 5 seconds and page turns are instant.

Also, it is one of the possible fixes to get the missing mathematical symbols from an epub (here using an epub from EDP sold by Eyrolles that works fine on other readers (like calibre or koreader)).

Still, I'm curious of the actual technical reason behind this; felt a bit frustrating.
As has been said, the version of RMSDK Kobo is using does not handle ePub 3 specific features because it's not the latest version. The renderer used for KePub handles ePub 3 specific features. That's it in a nutshell.
Old 03-20-2024, 03:00 PM   #74
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
The differences between how the RMSDK renderer and the WebKit renderer display text may be invisible to you. There are quite a few people who do notice those differences. Probably quite an bit of an overlap with the group that notices which fonts are used and have opinions on which fonts are better for certain purposes.

Perhaps I am getting persnickety as I age and am not willing to accept good enough when a minimal effort is needed to move the quality setting to very good or better.

Quote:
But I guess I'm getting old. Now, I just want things to work.
I'm surprised that given your posts in this thread that you are getting old. "Sure, whatever." and "Good for you." tend to suggest someone in the early twenties or younger compensating to their lack of ability to debate by attempting to appear "cool".

Last edited by DNSB; 03-20-2024 at 03:07 PM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2024, 03:12 PM   #75
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Perhaps I am getting persnickety as I age...
So do I. I was less fussy and more laid-back when young; the older I get, the fussier and less likely to be satisfied with things out of the box I seem to grow.

And it seems to be vice versa with others.