Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-09-2023, 12:40 PM   #61
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by rantanplan View Post
Amazon still sells Oasis devices so who knows? It would very much make sense to have two devices with about 7" screens as you'll have people that prefer buttons (such as yourself) and people that don't care about buttons but would rather like the smaller footprint of a Kindle Paperwhite 6.8" device.

I would have no beef whatsoever with Kobo keeping two devices with (roughly) the same size and different shapes, but AFAIK that has never happened before. I mean, they may sell any leftover older models as long as there are any, but usually they don't upgrade the older device, and when it goes out of stock, that's it.

But who knows. Let's wait and see.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2023, 05:15 PM   #62
rantanplan
Guru
rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite (2021), Boox Note Air 2+, Kobo Clara 2E, Tolino Vision 6
They currently sell Clara 2E and Nia, both with the same screen size, though with different resolution.
rantanplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-09-2023, 07:57 PM   #63
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Clara HD, Elipsa; Kindle Paperwhite 3 & 4; iOS eReader apps
Updating the Clara 2E size would differentiate between it and the Nia better, but the Clara 2E is so new, this isn’t likely what’s coming down the pike.
Cootey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2023, 11:09 AM   #64
enuddleyarbl
Guru
enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
An upgrade to whatever it would take to get Libby on it instead of Overdrive would be really nice. Overdrive was discontinued on 01 May 2023. The spousal unit gets really irritated having to find books on a different platform and then sideloading them across to her Forma.
enuddleyarbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2023, 02:29 PM   #65
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by enuddleyarbl View Post
An upgrade to whatever it would take to get Libby on it instead of Overdrive would be really nice. Overdrive was discontinued on 01 May 2023. The spousal unit gets really irritated having to find books on a different platform and then sideloading them across to her Forma.
A bit odd. My Sage still allows me to browse my main library's books and borrow them without issue.

Are you perhaps confusing the Overdrive application with the company Overdrive? The Overdrive app was discontinued but Overdrive is still in business and the APIs used by Kobo are still supported.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-11-2023, 04:49 PM   #66
enuddleyarbl
Guru
enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
A bit odd. My Sage still allows me to browse my main library's books and borrow them without issue.

Are you perhaps confusing the Overdrive application with the company Overdrive? The Overdrive app was discontinued but Overdrive is still in business and the APIs used by Kobo are still supported.
I'll go wrestle with it some more. I thought I couldn't add our new libraries (Libby only) to the Overdrive section of our Kobos. But, I could very easily have been mistaken.
Old 11-11-2023, 05:54 PM   #67
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I'll go wrestle with it some more. I thought I couldn't add our new libraries (Libby only) to the Overdrive section of our Kobos. But, I could very easily have been mistaken.
The limit is that you can access one library directly on your Kobo. OTOH, if you connect to Overdrive, you should be able to download any books that you borrow on other devices.
Old 11-13-2023, 05:15 AM   #68
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

Are you logging in with your library card account or your overdrive web account? Using the overdrive account allows Libby to do its magic.
Old 11-13-2023, 11:21 AM   #69
enuddleyarbl
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cootey View Post
Are you logging in with your library card account or your overdrive web account? Using the overdrive account allows Libby to do its magic.
We've been logging on with our individual library cards. I've hesitated to use an actual Overdrive account because I didn't want Overdrive to sell someone the lists of every book we've ever borrowed.

I've also confirmed that we can log in to Overdrive on our Kobos with our library cards at 2 of our 3 possible libraries (one at a time, of course) even though they both say they're now Libby only. So, that's good. Of course, being able to use Libby on the devices would be really nice, too. But, I'd guess that would take a lot more memory and processing power (and I don't know if an e-ink display could even handle Libby).
Old 11-14-2023, 01:06 AM   #70
Cootey
Absentminded Reader

New Kobo coming? Which?

Quote:
We've been logging on with our individual library cards. I've hesitated to use an actual Overdrive account because I didn't want Overdrive to sell someone the lists of every book we've ever borrowed.

I've also confirmed that we can log in to Overdrive on our Kobos with our library cards at 2 of our 3 possible libraries (one at a time, of course) even though they both say they're now Libby only. So, that's good. Of course, being able to use Libby on the devices would be really nice, too. But, I'd guess that would take a lot more memory and processing power (and I don't know if an e-ink display could even handle Libby).

I’ve not had Overdrive sell my information, and I’ve used them for years. I hope that sets those particular fears to rest.

In order to utilize Libby for multi-library loans, please follow these steps exactly. You need to log into Overdrive on your Kobo with your Overdrive account, NOT your individual library card. Choose a local library when prompted. This will become the main library that you borrow from within the Kobo device. Then log in using your Overdrive account. At this point, I would select Browse and surf the Kobo store. Attempt to borrow any random ebook to make sure that syncing and downloading works. Then return the ebook by long pressing on the book in Home or My Books. Make sure that works, too.

You don’t access Libby on your Kobo. You access it on your mobile device. Open the app, and in this case, you opt to log in with the library card of the main library you selected on you Kobo. Now your Kobo is synced to the Libby app through your Overdrive account.

Skip Kindle. Presto! Any book you borrow will appear on your Kobo.

Press the middle icon in Libby and add all your cards. Any book you borrow in the app from any library will sync to your Kobo *provided it is available through the Kobo Store*. I hope this helps.

Last edited by Cootey; 11-14-2023 at 01:10 AM.
Old 11-14-2023, 02:36 AM   #71
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Overdrive has a far more robust privacy policy than most.

" If you are using your institution’s OverDrive-hosted website, Libby, or the OverDrive app, you will have the option to show your lending history. You can hide your lending history by following the instructions within the app or help articles.

Your lending history is protected by OverDrive as confidential. It is not shared with any third parties, except to staff with appropriate authority acting within the scope of their duties for the administration of your institution (library, school, etc.).

If we are compelled to disclose your lending history pursuant to a court order or subpoena, or to a person or agency with the relevant administrative or legislative investigative power, we will seek to challenge and limit the scope and comply with the authorized agency or person only as required by law. [...]

OverDrive never sells your PII or non-PII. OverDrive will not use your information for any purposes other than the specified use."

https://company.cdn.overdrive.com/po...acy-policy.htm
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2023, 05:40 PM   #72
enuddleyarbl
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cootey View Post
I’ve not had Overdrive sell my information, and I’ve used them for years. I hope that sets those particular fears to rest.

In order to utilize Libby for multi-library loans, please follow these steps exactly. You need to log into Overdrive on your Kobo with your Overdrive account, NOT your individual library card. Choose a local library when prompted. This will become the main library that you borrow from within the Kobo device. Then log in using your Overdrive account. At this point, I would select Browse and surf the Kobo store. Attempt to borrow any random ebook to make sure that syncing and downloading works. Then return the ebook by long pressing on the book in Home or My Books. Make sure that works, too.

You don’t access Libby on your Kobo. You access it on your mobile device. Open the app, and in this case, you opt to log in with the library card of the main library you selected on you Kobo. Now your Kobo is synced to the Libby app through your Overdrive account.

Skip Kindle. Presto! Any book you borrow will appear on your Kobo.

Press the middle icon in Libby and add all your cards. Any book you borrow in the app from any library will sync to your Kobo *provided it is available through the Kobo Store*. I hope this helps.
That doesn't work for me. AFAICS, there's nothing setting up a linkage between the Overdrive account on the Kobo and the library cards in Libby.

The Kobo seems to imply I can create that linkage if I sign into Overdrive with an Overdrive account on the Kobo and then, also on the Kobo immediately afterwards, tell it to Add a Library. But, doing that just results in my being shoved out to the initial Overdrive screen without being logged in. There doesn't seem to be any way to add libraries after the fact to the Overdrive account on the Kobo.

There's also nothing that I can find on overdrive.com (I can't even find a way to login on overdrive.com). And, of course, the libraries only have Libby logins with a library card. Not with an Overdrive account.

EDIT: But, this really isn't the thread for this discussion. However, it does increase my desire for Libby on whatever new Kobo is coming out.
Old 11-14-2023, 09:20 PM   #73
DNSB
Bibliophagist

It seems rather odd that what others have done successfully, you seem to have so many issues with. Please remember that OverDrive is the site, Libby is simply an application that connects to the site. As for logging into Overdrive, a quick web search for overdrive login gave me a hit on Overdrive Signin (see attached images).

I'm not certain what you mean by sign into OverDrive with an OverDrive account on the Kobo and then immediately afterward add a library. What I saw was an option to create account or Sign in to OverDrive. When I selected OverDrive, I was asked to Find a Public Library (this will be your main library). I typed in enough of the library name for it to show up in the search results and selected it. After this, I got a page with a QR code, a code to use signed into OverDrive and a button saying Sign in on this device which I used. I signed into OverDrive using my OverDrive ID and password and all seemed to be happy.

Oddly, the same login I used to use with the OverDrive app and website is also the login I use with Libby and does work on my Sage. I have used both just adding the library using my library account number and PIN and selecting the library and then logging into OverDrive. I preferred the library selection since typing in one of my web passwords on a Kobo ereader is a bit of a pain.

Sadly, Google fu is running weak in these latter days...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	overdrive_signin.png
Views:	101
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	204703   Click image for larger version

Name:	overdrive_login_search.png
Views:	93
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	204704  

Last edited by DNSB; 11-14-2023 at 09:30 PM.
Old 11-17-2023, 09:32 AM   #74
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Honestly a lot of the confusion over Overdrive is the result of Overdrive choosing to be obtuse about branding

On Kobo devices that support it you get two options either to add library or login with overdrive the latter of which is slightly hidden until you scroll down on a dialogue that doesn’t properly display there’s more to see

Both methods work but of course choosing the former results in only being able to sync from that library’s check outs regardless of how you set up Libby

Which brings up the second issue, apps. It was only relatively recently that Overdrive ditched the Overdrive app in favor of Libby but they spent years maintaining and updating both (though Libby was superior if not outright on launch certainly very quickly).

Still this would have been fine if their messaging in Libby had been clear and the UI had a clear and obvious option to login to your OD account or out of it. It may now but didn’t when I looked some time ago.

I made a rather long and snark filled post about adding multiple libraries to a Kobo but the nuts and bolts have been covered in this thread.

1) have OD account
2) have Libby app and login using OD account
3) have kobo that supports OD which I think is all the ones they sell now
4) on the kobo find the overdrive account should be in accounts under settings and begin to set it up. Scroll down on the dialogue that pops up until you see the option to login to OD do so with the same login used for Libby. When prompted pick a library ideally pick the one with the selection you borrow from primarily. This is the library you’ll be able to search directly on the kobo any other library will require the Libby app (or your library’s app I suppose but that adds extra wrinkles) just search in the app borrow the book and sync your kobo.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2023, 10:48 PM   #75
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlitch View Post
2) have Libby app and login using OD account
How exactly does one do this? I can only find library card options.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote