Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-28-2010, 03:58 PM   #16
Bill Lumburgh
Enthusiast
Bill Lumburgh can illuminate an eclipseBill Lumburgh can illuminate an eclipseBill Lumburgh can illuminate an eclipseBill Lumburgh can illuminate an eclipseBill Lumburgh can illuminate an eclipseBill Lumburgh can illuminate an eclipseBill Lumburgh can illuminate an eclipseBill Lumburgh can illuminate an eclipseBill Lumburgh can illuminate an eclipseBill Lumburgh can illuminate an eclipseBill Lumburgh can illuminate an eclipse

Device: K3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jondelfin View Post
I applaud your efforts, but, honestly, most people have a kindle for one thing - reading. I can think of many platforms i would use for even text games before i would use my kindle.
Personally, I tend to agree. My wife and I bought our Kindles because we like to read and that's why we bought dedicated eBook readers, instead of getting iPads, like everyone else. But I think the fact that Amazon's re-released (ie. old, albeit entertaining) "Every Word" game has been at the top of their "#100 free" list for a few days now and that EA's Scrabble app happens to be the current #1 paid "book" would suggest that people like their games.

I don't think we're going to see attempts to port Doom to the Kindle anytime soon and with a 0.5 or so fps refresh rate, that's probably a good thing. In any case, I think that choice is good. The fact that I have fond memories of Zork III may have also contribute to the fact that I rather like the idea of bringing abandonware to a new platform and a whole bunch of people who may have never heard of these games before.
Bill Lumburgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 05:24 PM   #17
tovare
Addict
tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-600, Kindle kb Wifi, new Kindle NT, PW2, Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by edyagi View Post
http://www.kindlequest.com

Seeing that the Kindle has free internet, and a nifty keyboard, those old school text adventure games is perfect for the Kindle's experimental browser.

Give it a spin, let us know what you think and/or how we can improve it!

thanks!

http://www.kindlequest.com
Quite cool, but i think the server-roundtrip makes it a bit slow. I like the idea of a site adapted to the kindle (because scrolling in parchment is a pain).

You might consider using gnusto like parchment, because it allows offline play. http://gnusto.mozdev.org/code/felapton.html

Also, the fonts didn't look very clear on the kindle 3.

I'm looking forward to playing Suspended again (I never actually managed to complete it, but it's been a few years so i might solve it this time).
tovare is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-28-2010, 06:09 PM   #18
Metapioca
Metapioca began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 3G intl
Quote:
Quite cool, but i think the server-roundtrip makes it a bit slow. I like the idea of a site adapted to the kindle (because scrolling in parchment is a pain).
Parchment works quite well, and can be played offline as long as you loaded the game first* (I mean, play from the cache, since it's just javascript). I started hacking it a bit for the kindle screen, because by default it doesn't fit well, but nothing clean enough to be a contribution right now. Scrolling would still be an issue (you need to hit alt-g once in a while).

And despite what some others said in this thread, I tend to think of the kindle as the ultimate interactive fiction device: you can play from anywhere and it reads like a book (if you want to argue the keyboard is not good enough, be warned I used to play Zork on... a TI89).

* Kindle 3 browser doesn't support file:// as I heard previous versions did
Metapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 06:56 PM   #19
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metapioca View Post
Parchment works quite well, and can be played offline as long as you loaded the game first* (I mean, play from the cache, since it's just javascript). I started hacking it a bit for the kindle screen, because by default it doesn't fit well, but nothing clean enough to be a contribution right now. Scrolling would still be an issue (you need to hit alt-g once in a while).

And despite what some others said in this thread, I tend to think of the kindle as the ultimate interactive fiction device: you can play from anywhere and it reads like a book (if you want to argue the keyboard is not good enough, be warned I used to play Zork on... a TI89).

* Kindle 3 browser doesn't support file:// as I heard previous versions did
I think Parchment will work okay in landscape but haven't tried it yet. But that means reading everything vertically because you need to operate the keyboard. I couldn't get it to fit in portrait. Seems kind of silly that it requires so much horizontal space, since it is just text and that can reflow quite easily.

Still, I'd prefer these to be Kindle apps, since I'm wifi only and won't always have a network connection.

I agree that the keyboard is good enough for this. Many commands require only a single letter. An app could have an autocomplete feature to help reduce typing even more.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 03:15 AM   #20
Metapioca
Metapioca began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 3G intl
Quote:
I think Parchment will work okay in landscape but haven't tried it yet. But that means reading everything vertically because you need to operate the keyboard. I couldn't get it to fit in portrait. Seems kind of silly that it requires so much horizontal space, since it is just text and that can reflow quite easily.
That's exactly the point of the hack I mentioned ; also, using a more readable font and layout (to read just like ebooks).

Quote:
Still, I'd prefer these to be Kindle apps, since I'm wifi only and won't always have a network connection.
AFAIK you can load the game in the browser while on wifi, then continue playing with wireless off as long as you want (even after sleep/wake). Not sure it still works if you quit the browser thought.
Metapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-29-2010, 03:35 AM   #21
Geppetto
Addict
Geppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS600, Cybook, Hanvon N520, Sony PRS300, Onyx Boox, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by gargoyle67 View Post
Mmm yes I thought that also, The Zork titles are the only ones that are in the public domain. "Activision Studios owns and maintains full copyright on all Infocom games. With the exception of the first three Zork adventures no Infocom game can be legally "downloaded for free""
I think the OP might have to trim a few titles.
http://www.csd.uwo.ca/Infocom/faq.html#PIRATE
This website's last update has been made 10 years ago.
Geppetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 07:13 AM   #22
gargoyle67
Addict
gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geppetto View Post
This website's last update has been made 10 years ago.
That still doesn't mean the other games are free though does it.
gargoyle67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 08:27 AM   #23
vili
vili began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
That still doesn't mean the other games are free though does it.
Indeed. Copyrights to most Infocom titles are probably owned by Activision Blizzard, as Wikipedia suggests. Whether they have any interest in pursuing copyright violations is another thing, but I certainly wouldn't want their army of lawyers chasing me!
vili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 08:28 AM   #24
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
if they are not legally for sale anywhere & have not been for 10 years, then, what's wrong with someone distributing for free. Infocom went out of existence 20+ years ago ???

copyright should have a use-it-or-lose-it feature.

isn't this the google books vs dog-in-the-manger publishers argument all over again ???
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 10:09 AM   #25
gargoyle67
Addict
gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
if they are not legally for sale anywhere & have not been for 10 years, then, what's wrong with someone distributing for free. Infocom went out of existence 20+ years ago ???
Err because it now belongs to Activision not Edyagi, And if in the future they want to re-release them at some point it would hurt their sales if you could just get them for free.
Plus they will prob send him a cease and desist order, And if he doesn't comply he could face fines\jail time...That's why
gargoyle67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 11:11 AM   #26
mdovell
Zealot
mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kindle DX
I'm not advocating copyright infrindgement but....

Sometimes with earlier games there's been so many psedo copies it would be next to impossible to sue everyone.

How many knock offs have we seen of say..Tetris and Asteroids?

If you type in "play zork zero" you'll get plenty of google responses.
mdovell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 11:27 AM   #27
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Err because it now belongs to Activision not Edyagi, And if in the future they want to re-release them at some point it would hurt their sales if you could just get them for free.
the l google vs book publishers case was over the ethics of burying old copyrights in corporate cellars, for works which the "owners" had no intention of ever re-publishing , just to deprive others of access to them.

LOL - they've been free for years - just look on Google or any torrent search engine; and if Activison had any intention of selling them, they'd not have deleted them from their games catalogues.,and would not have destroyed the Infocom brand.

As it is, I bought them all once for Amiga, once again for dos/Win95 - there's no way I'd buy them a 3rd time just to play on a different device, but I heartily approve of them being put into circulation again for Kindle users.

when its reaches the point that not 1 cent of any future sales will ever reach the game creators then its time to rebel :-)

PS IIRC, all the PC game versions were DOS based & had to run in a DOS window - were I to search the attic for my WIN 95 box set & load it into my Win 7 PC, I'd probably get the the microsoft equivalent of "you must be kidding" - 'twold take considerable time & money to rework them all for today's OS.

Last edited by cybmole; 09-29-2010 at 11:48 AM.
Old 09-29-2010, 12:33 PM   #28
vkeios
vkeios began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
if Activison had any intention of selling them
Activision was planning on releasing a new collection back in 2006. It got canceled due to lack of interest though.

Quote:
PS IIRC, all the PC game versions were DOS based & had to run in a DOS window - were I to search the attic for my WIN 95 box set & load it into my Win 7 PC, I'd probably get the the microsoft equivalent of "you must be kidding" - 'twold take considerable time & money to rework them all for today's OS.
Nope. Get a Z-Machine Interpreter like Frotz and just run the data files from your old DOS versions with it (look for .dat).
vkeios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 01:55 PM   #29
cybmole
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkeios View Post
Activision was planning on releasing a new collection back in 2006. It got canceled due to lack of interest though.

Nope. Get a Z-Machine Interpreter like Frotz and just run the data files from your old DOS versions with it (look for .dat).
i see how that could work - but a commercial re-release would have to be slicker.

robust management of save / load games is a must - these games were not designed to be completed at one sitting. I guess the kindlequest version must use server-side saves ?
Old 09-29-2010, 03:09 PM   #30
Gwen Morse
Addict
Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.

Device: Kindle 3 (wifi) + nokia n900 tablet phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkeios View Post
It's too bad. I immersed myself in the old Infocom games for WAAAAY too many hours when I was younger. I always had a blast with them.

With the recent popularity of "app" programs, which are necessarily simpler than programs that run on full-power computers, Activision could repackage the text adventure programs and sell them for a buck or two a pop, with the public-domain Zork titles as free "loss leaders".

Ebook readers are best as readers. It just feels like this is an "Ah-ha!" sort of product. Text adventure games *are* basically just "interactive books". All you do is read them and make simple typing choices.

One of the authors who posts here put up a "Choose Your Own Adventure" style ebook. I don't see the old text adventure games as being any different.

Kudos to the original programmer who set up the server-side code to process the old Infocom data files.
Gwen Morse is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
games, interactive fiction, kindle, text adventure, zork