Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-20-2024, 03:38 PM   #1
s73v3r
s73v3r began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Kobo Clara HD stuck on Power Off Screen

My Kobo Clara HD is stuck on the "Power Off" screen. I've tried doing multiple kinds of power button presses (hold for 30s then for 15, hold for 15, wait for 5, hold for 5, hold for 4 then press again) and nothing has worked. I opened the back and unhooked the battery, and also took out the SD card and put it back in, no luck. I've tried charging it in a fast charger, and it hasn't worked.

The backlight turns on, and the power LED turns on, sometimes being solid, sometimes flashing. The screen also is doing something a little weird; instead of being the solid image of the book cover that's being read, it looks like some lines have turned off. It almost looks like the screen is damaged, but it feels completely fine.

I have measured the battery, and its charged to 3.7V. I have requested the image in the proper thread, and flashed it to both the original SD card, and a new one that I bought, all without any luck.
s73v3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2024, 06:53 AM   #2
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Can we see a photo of the screen, please? It's likely a broken substrate.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2024, 12:15 PM   #3
s73v3r

image at https://ibb.co/tcGZFLY

I don't think it looks broken. When it started doing this, the image was normal.

There is an update, in that, after reseating the ribbon cables, the back light comes on.
Old 03-21-2024, 03:01 PM   #4
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by s73v3r View Post
[IMG]I don't think it looks broken. When it started doing this, the image was normal.

There is an update, in that, after reseating the ribbon cables, the back light comes on.
The curved lines that I've circled in the attached image (running between the I and N in KING and in the upper corner inwards) are pretty much the classic indicator of a broken substrate.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL-20240321-160006245.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	1.38 MB
ID:	207042  
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2024, 03:09 PM   #5
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
Yeah, no doubt about it — the glass is broken. Sorry for your loss.

EDIT: It seems you’ve already taken it apart and seen how easy it is (I’ve taken mine apart multiple times to dry it out after micro-dozing in the hot tub and dropping it in the water) — you might be able to find a used screen, though I’m not sure if they’re individually calibrated or anything like that.
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2024, 05:37 PM   #6
s73v3r

Thanks for the help. I guess it's a good thing I ordered a replacement device.

So, when it first was being unwilling to turn on, it didn't have those lines and stuff. It looked normal. If it was broken at that time, and before it was trying to repaint the screen, would it have not displayed like that?
Old 03-21-2024, 06:29 PM   #7
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by s73v3r View Post
Thanks for the help. I guess it's a good thing I ordered a replacement device.

So, when it first was being unwilling to turn on, it didn't have those lines and stuff. It looked normal. If it was broken at that time, and before it was trying to repaint the screen, would it have not displayed like that?
My understanding: When the screen is cracked some of the invisible in-screen traces break as well, which causes parts of the screen to try to update, but others not. Since eInk is bi-stable (it retains its image w/o power) you don’t see the breakage until it tries to update the display since the eink layer is above the glass and still showing the image that it had on it.
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
broken, clara hd, frozen