Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-03-2011, 01:45 PM   #106
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post

Though you are right, it's not free. There's no such thing as a free lunch (tnstaafl)...but if you are taking advantage of the full benefits of the membership then it's just quite possible that they ARE FREE!

I'm looking forward to my free month of membership that come with my Kindle Fire (LESS THAN TWO WEEKS NOW!!!!) and they'll probably have me hooked...after all Amazon IS my friend and I share most of my money with her. (wait is Amazon a her?)
Well, I have been known to buy a potato peeler with 2-day shipping. I figure I came out ahead just not trying to buy stuff to get up to free shipping (I hate shipping. Then I have to weigh getting up off the couch against the extra money!)
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 01:46 PM   #107
Jowi
Connoisseur
Jowi makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneJowi makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneJowi makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneJowi makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneJowi makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneJowi makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneJowi makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneJowi makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneJowi makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneJowi makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneJowi makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: iPod Touch 5g, Kindle PW, iPad 3
If you have 2 separate Amazon accounts in the same household sharing a prime account, do both accounts share the 1 book per month? In other words, if I want to use this for one book per month, then my son can't use it on his kindle and get his own books? I'm guessing it's 1 book per prime account, not per amazon account??? Anyone know for sure?
Jowi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-03-2011, 01:51 PM   #108
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWriter View Post
I feel your pain. I've been looking at the Fire again too. What concerns me most is that there's no SD card (I'm not fond of the idea of "cloud storage") and the 7" screen. I'd prefer a slightly larger display (8" to 9" would be ideal for me). The hardware does look good otherwise, though. I'll be interested in Fire owners' comments regarding limitations that Amazon has put on the device. It seems like it's designed primarily as an Amazon media-consumption tablet. Which actually may be fine for my needs. I'm not sure, as I'm still trying to define what I want a tablet to do.

There will be many other Android tablets coming out within the next few months and retailers probably will be discounting older devices since some of the new devices will have the latest Android 4.0 (dubbed Ice Cream Sandwich), so for now I'm taking a "wait and see" attitude. But the Fire is still very tempting!
And that is why I want to wait for reviews. I would prefer a slot for Memory cards, I don't know how well it would work when travelling on a plane without WiFi. How long will it take to download a movie? How many can I have on it at one time? (The product page said 10, with a large number of apps, without apps?) I sometimes travel for 16-24 hours for work and would want to be able to have an entire season of a TV series with me. Will I have space?

And I really like the idea of a bigger screen. Then again, I played Little Big Planet on my PSP for 4 hours flying home from Hawaii and that is a much smaller screen so maybe 7 inches will be enough.

And are the Amazon videos DRMed? I am fine with storing stuff in the Cloud but I want it stored on my computer and a portable hard drive as well without DRM for safe keeping.

So many questions and not enough answers yet.

Now if I wanted a touch e-ink reader I would be in the cue because I know that I live my Kindle. I don't have a device like the Fire yet and so I have more questions which makes it a bit easier to ignore the Devil (named SCION, kennyc, and a few others) on my shoulder suggesting that I buy it now. Right now. Immediatly.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 01:52 PM   #109
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
tanstaafl...

Quote:
....There's no such thing as a free lunch (tnstaafl)...
i apologize, but i just couldn't let my very favorite heinlein quote go by without mentioning that it was actually this:

there ain't no such thing as a free lunch (tanstaafl)....
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 01:54 PM   #110
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Prime is highly addictive crack for impulse shoppers.

Absolutely.

We stream Amazon movies and TV shows, free and rented. If we buy something, it sits in our library, ready to be picked up at any time. As for bankwidth, although we supposedly have 5 mbs, it usually runs at around 1, and it NEVER buffers. I have never had netflix, but between Direct TV and Prime, I am set. When we go on vacation, we don't have Direct TV, but Amazon should do nicely.
Advert
Old 11-03-2011, 01:56 PM   #111
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Don't do that!

Do I have to do an Amazon opening crawl now?

A long time ago in an internet far, far away....

May the Fire be with you!
Monkeys are sooooo predictable.

kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 01:58 PM   #112
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.
DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite · Fire HD6/HD8/HD10 · Galaxy Tab A7
Quote:
Consider a Roku. It'll stream Amazon Instant Video (including Prime), Netflix, Hulu Plus, and many others to your TV.
I have been thinking about getting a Roku, but if a tablet could do double-duty that may be a good choice for me. We might get Amazon Prime, but we wouldn't subscribe to Netflix or Hulu Plus. I know that the Roku does have some free content too, like Crackle. But it seems like we could access Crackle and at least some of the other free content through a browser and stream that way. Obviously, I'm in the process of trying to figure out all this stuff, and options are certainly welcome!
DreamWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 01:58 PM   #113
Sydney's Mom
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
god help me

I am starting to look at the Fire.

(chants) Do not pre order a Fire(/chants)

Reminds herself that Christmas is coming and you can get a Fire for Christmas. Then you can read the reviews and know how well it works and if it will do what you want it to do.
(chants) Only 12 more days until I get my Fire (chants)
Old 11-03-2011, 01:59 PM   #114
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney's Mom View Post
Well, I have been known to buy a potato peeler with 2-day shipping. I figure I came out ahead just not trying to buy stuff to get up to free shipping (I hate shipping. Then I have to weigh getting up off the couch against the extra money!)

And seeing that you have only about 1000 pages to go on your goal, I'd say you are definitely playing your couch potatoes correctly.
Old 11-03-2011, 02:01 PM   #115
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
i apologize, but i just couldn't let my very favorite heinlein quote go by without mentioning that it was actually this:

there ain't no such thing as a free lunch (tanstaafl)....
This is the new and improved version as used by Larry Niven.

besides Heinlein stole it from someone else.
Old 11-03-2011, 02:03 PM   #116
Sydney's Mom
Wizard

Quote:
Consider a Roku. It'll stream Amazon Instant Video (including Prime), Netflix, Hulu Plus, and many others to your TV.
So will a Sony DVR. This is just so cool.
Old 11-03-2011, 02:09 PM   #117
Sydney's Mom
Wizard

Quote:
And seeing that you have only about 1000 pages to go on your goal, I'd say you are definitely playing your couch potatoes correctly.
Actually, I have 4 books in my already read pile, so I might be there.

If only I hadn't played Angry Birds and ate crap while I was laid up for a month after my foot surgery. I could be slender and well-read!
Old 11-03-2011, 02:18 PM   #118
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Cool hmmmm....

Quote:
This is the new and improved version as used by Larry Niven.

besides Heinlein stole it from someone else.
ah, that explains it, niven always seemed to me to be a heinlein disciple. do you remember where it was (manny coined it in the moon is a harsh mistress) in niven's writing, i've read most of his stuff and don't remember seeing it. stole it! really? from who

Last edited by alansplace; 11-03-2011 at 02:19 PM. Reason: add a line
Old 11-03-2011, 02:25 PM   #119
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
ah, that explains it, niven always seemed to me to be a heinlein disciple. do you remember where it was (manny coined it in the moon is a harsh mistress) in niven's writing, i've read most of his stuff and don't remember seeing it. stole it! really? from who
I really don't know, I know both H and N used it -- Niven probably in the Known Space works as those are my favs. I read somewhere about Heinlein 'borrowing' it as he did many of his ideas (as all writers often do...). Niven probably stole it from Heinlein and I inadvertently changed it.

Ah here some (possible) info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_lunch
Old 11-03-2011, 02:37 PM   #120
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool oh well...

Quote:
I really don't know, I know both H and N used it -- Niven probably in the Known Space works as those are my favs. I read somewhere about Heinlein 'borrowing' it as he did many of his ideas (as all writers often do...). Niven probably stole it from Heinlein and I inadvertently changed it.

Ah here some (possible) info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_lunch
poking around in wikipedia didn't yield anybody being attributed to coining tanstaffl before heinlein, just the roots of the saying being from earlier times. oh well