Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 02-13-2010, 12:49 PM   #1
Prince Hal
Zealot
Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Galaxy Player 4.2; Nexus 3 (wifi only); Nook HD+ (possibly)
BeBook Neo / Onyx Boox 60 / PocketBook 302 - are they all the same ?

Are these three shortly to be released eReaders basically the same (except the Neo does not have 3G wireless, just WiFi). They look the same to me. Neo is suggested to be $299 which is $50 less than the other two. Anyone know ?

Also, I hear on the PocketBook forum, that the 302 will ship with a screen that has some glare on it. After a couple of months, the 302 will ship with a matte screen. Does anyone know if that will be the same as the Neo and Boox 60 (assuming that they are basically the same).

Many thanks for your help.

Hal.
Prince Hal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 12:52 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The Neo and the Onyx are definitely the same hardware. I'm not sure if the Pocketbook is, though.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-13-2010, 01:44 PM   #3
Ulli
(-:
Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.

Device: PocketBook 360°,302
My experience with other readers is, that the others doesnt have the contrast of the PocketBook.
I dunno why, because i thought they are all using the same e-Ink displays.
Ulli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 04:15 PM   #4
Zetmolm
Guru
Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch (622), PocketBook Touch Lux 2, Pocketbook Touch HD 3
The PocketBook is definitely different hardware. The Boox and the Neo are the same. When comparing prices between these two, take into account that the Boox comes with a cover and adapter, and the Neo does not.
Zetmolm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 04:41 PM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The adapter is irrelevent (who doesn't have a collection of USB chargers?), but the lack of a cover on the Neo is extremely annoying, I agree. Didn't stop me from pre-ordering one, but I really wish they'd included one.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-13-2010, 05:45 PM   #6
frozennorth
Evangelist
frozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Onyx Boox RIP, Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Libra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulli View Post
My experience with other readers is, that the others doesnt have the contrast of the PocketBook.
I dunno why, because i thought they are all using the same e-Ink displays.
The Pocketbook 302 I think will utilize the same touchscreen technology that the Sony uses which is on top of the e-ink screen. The Boox and the Neo have a wacom touchscreen which lies below the e-ink and so does not affect screen clarity.

The videos I've seen of the 302 show a very glossy, reflective screen but I heard that the second batch is supposed to have a matte screen.

I'm considering these readers also but I'll wait for reviews on the Neo and 302 before deciding. I'm the extra cautious kind.
frozennorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 07:23 PM   #7
Prince Hal
Zealot
Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Galaxy Player 4.2; Nexus 3 (wifi only); Nook HD+ (possibly)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The adapter is irrelevent (who doesn't have a collection of USB chargers?), but the lack of a cover on the Neo is extremely annoying, I agree. Didn't stop me from pre-ordering one, but I really wish they'd included one.
Did they give you a date as to when the Neo will be shipping ? To the US.
Prince Hal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 08:01 PM   #8
AlfonsVH
Addict
AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook Neo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Hal View Post
Did they give you a date as to when the Neo will be shipping ? To the US.
Last I heard was somewhere next week.
The official date is February 25th, though.
AlfonsVH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 08:12 PM   #9
imaredr
Collector
imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook
I know that the Neo will not ship with a case, but the PB302 will have a leather case.

Ellen
imaredr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 06:47 PM   #10
tsantsa
tsantsa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tsantsa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tsantsa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tsantsa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tsantsa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tsantsa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tsantsa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tsantsa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tsantsa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tsantsa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tsantsa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none yet
I'm kind of on the fence between the Boox and the Neo myself. Dulins has the Boox at 299 now with an accessory package but it says ships in April! I might pay the premium and order the Neo and a case just to have it quicker. But, then, patience is a virtue. I was told that one time.
tsantsa is offline   Reply With Quote