Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-12-2012, 09:11 AM   #1
Frothy
Frothy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frothy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frothy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frothy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frothy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frothy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frothy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frothy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frothy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frothy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frothy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Question Is it possible to uninstall a kindle software update

Hello my first post,

I updated my KK wifi to 3.4 but the font is now blacker and thicker.

I personally preferred the font contrast in 3.3.

Is it possible reinstall 3.3?
Frothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 09:31 AM   #2
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frothy View Post
Hello my first post,

I updated my KK wifi to 3.4 but the font is now blacker and thicker.

I personally preferred the font contrast in 3.3.

Is it possible reinstall 3.3?
You can reinstall "factory fresh" 3.0.2 firmware images, then install amazon firmware updates 3.1 through 3.3. Check the "simple debricking" sticky thread in the Dev Corner forum.

EDIT: You would need to keep wireless off (i.e. "airplane mode on") to prevent eventual OTA updates. Or you can install a font hack (check the Dev Corner "master index" sticky thread).

Last edited by geekmaster; 09-12-2012 at 10:21 AM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-12-2012, 10:09 AM   #3
Frothy
Frothy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frothy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frothy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frothy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frothy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frothy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frothy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frothy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frothy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frothy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frothy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thumbs up

Thankyou, I was just going to PM you, spooky!
Old 09-12-2012, 10:19 AM   #4
Frothy

Is this the guide? https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/K3noobdebrickatk

I think it might be a bit beyond my capabilities :-(
Old 09-12-2012, 10:34 AM   #5
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
To me it just looks Blacker. & by going back you lose the wispersinc to the matching Audiobooks! Tho to me not a biggie as I dont listen to my Audios on my K3.
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-12-2012, 10:36 AM   #6
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Is this the guide? https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/K3noobdebrickatk

I think it might be a bit beyond my capabilities :-(
It may be easier to use hawhill's k3flasher tool instead of ATK. There is a Dev Corner thread for that. Look in the simple debricking "success reports" for "k3flasher", for details on how somebody used it successfully. There are also more details in the "k3flasher" thread in the Dev Corner.

And where any guides say to use 3.3, use 3.0.2 instead (the 3.3 images are at gitbrew, which is currently offline). You can upgrade from 3.0.2 to whatever version you want later.

If you have questions, you should ask them in the simple debricking sticky thread in the Dev Corner.
Old 09-12-2012, 10:42 AM   #7
Frothy

Will do, thankyou.
Old 09-12-2012, 10:51 AM   #8
geekmaster

Like I said earlier, you could install a font hack instead of downgrading your firmware. We need to see if any hacks need upgrades for the new firmware, but you could try it.
Old 09-12-2012, 11:12 AM   #9
Frothy

Thankyou I didn't realise that.

I will make sure I understand what it is I need to do before just diving in and coming unstuck.

NB: Before I started this post I contacted Amazon CS to ask whether uninstalling the 3.4 is possible? The adviser said no, but was helpful in that he said he'd relay my feedback to the tech department.
Old 09-12-2012, 11:46 AM   #10
geekmaster

Quote:
NB: Before I started this post I contacted Amazon CS to ask whether uninstalling the 3.4 is possible? The adviser said no, but was helpful in that he said he'd relay my feedback to the tech department.
What is "possible" is a subjective matter. The biggest limitation of possibility is a lack of imagination. Some people "think bigger" than others.

Last edited by geekmaster; 09-12-2012 at 11:49 AM.
Old 09-12-2012, 11:55 AM   #11
Frothy

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
What is "possible" is a subjective matter. The biggest limitation of possibility is a lack of imagination. Some people "think bigger" than others.
"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars."
Old 09-12-2012, 12:02 PM   #12
geekmaster

Quote:
"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars."
Another quote from Oscar Wilde: "Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative."

Imagination is the key to "Life, the Universe and Everything".

Last edited by geekmaster; 09-12-2012 at 12:16 PM.
Old 09-12-2012, 12:18 PM   #13
Frothy

"What the mind of man can conceive and believe, It can achieve."

Napolean Hill - Whoever he was