Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-21-2013, 04:13 PM   #16
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
tempest@de,

I merged the French translation dictionary and the French-English dictionary and was quite happy with it. You can find instructions on how to make custom dictionaries here. Merging dictionaries is not much different from making new ones.
Note: Some Kobo dictionaries are encrypted. They can therefore not be merged. I cannot remember whether the portuguese dictionaries are encrypted.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 11:36 AM   #17
bebop
bebop began at the beginning.

Device: kobo glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by tempest@de View Post
sorry I wasn't very clear, I should have said the default translation dictionary

by default it opens the english dictionary, I suppose it does that because the books I read are in english, but that doesn’t bother me since I prefer to first read the definition and only if I still can’t understand the word I use the translation dictionary.

and with the 2.4.0 it still "remembers" what is my default translation dictionary
Ah, I see what you mean now, and yes, if I tell it to go to the translation dictionary then it does stick to German->English rather than "some-other-language->english" else. Still though, it's a bit annoying when you have to do this:

(1) touch word
(2) touch [A|Z] icon at the bottom
(3) touch "translation dictionary" -> go to a separate screen
(4) touch to go back to the book
(5) touch the "X" at the bottom right corner to close the options bar and go back to reading.

Instead, of doing this:

(1) touch word I don't recognize ->window pops up
(2) touch "X" at bottom right to close window and go back to reading.

Which would be possible if I had the option of saying (just once) "ok, Kobo, for now, I'm reading a German book. Set the default dictionary to "German->English" and let me save 3 steps.

I just timed myself with a stopwatch, and the difference in time to these two processes is about 5-7 seconds. I know this may not sound like a lot of time, but if you have to do this for every word you don't recognize over the course of a long book in a foreign language, it really does add up. It also creates a constant and tedious interruption that really makes reading less enjoyable. Hopefully they change this in future software versions so that you can set your "goto" dictionary.
bebop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-22-2013, 01:37 PM   #18
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bebop View Post
Hopefully they change this in future software versions so that you can set your "goto" dictionary.
Until this change happens, installing a merged dictionary (containing the De->De and the De->En dictionaries) as a replacement of the De->De dictionary might improve your reading experience.
Old 03-22-2013, 06:10 PM   #19
unaj41
Enthusiast
unaj41 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.unaj41 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.unaj41 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.unaj41 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.unaj41 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.unaj41 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.unaj41 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.unaj41 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.unaj41 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.unaj41 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.unaj41 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Let me ask you a question little bit off the original topic, but still related to dictionary customization:

So far I found a lot of posts about how to change default dic, how to swap default dic for translation dic, etc. ... but I did not find anything concrete about how to create a new language translation dictionary (one not offered by Kobo yet) ...

The reason I am asking is I gifted my elderly father Kobo Touch - his native language is Czech, but he is reading (or at least trying to read) in English. For him it would be a life-saver, if he could simply click on the unknown word and rather then getting English dictionary definition he would get the translation into Czech.

There is already a plenty info on how to install it, but:

- How do you create translation dictionary (kind of from the scratch) which would work with Kobo?
- Any source for download of the actual translation dictionary that then needs to be converted to Kobo format?
unaj41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 06:30 PM   #20
tshering
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by unaj41 View Post
- How do you create translation dictionary (kind of from the scratch) which would work with Kobo?
This post links to a tutorial on HowToCreateKoboDictionaries.zip.

You might find some further useful information here.

There is also a tool for converting stardic dictionaries, cf. this post.
Advert
Old 03-24-2013, 10:44 AM   #21
tempest@de
Fanatic
tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, kindle
Thank’s tshering, I read the instructions and unfortunately I will stick with the separate dictionaries, It appears to be quite complicated for my capabilities, and would take quite some time, that is if I understood correctly.
I would have to open the html file, let’s say aa.html in the A-dictionary and the aa.html in the B-dictionary and put all the entries together in alphabetical order and then save the result as the C-dictionary, I would have to do that for all the files and after that I have to build the index.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshering View Post
tempest@de,

I merged the French translation dictionary and the French-English dictionary and was quite happy with it. You can find instructions on how to make custom dictionaries here. Merging dictionaries is not much different from making new ones.
Note: Some Kobo dictionaries are encrypted. They can therefore not be merged. I cannot remember whether the portuguese dictionaries are encrypted.
tempest@de is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 11:15 AM   #22
tshering
Wizard

tempest@de,

If you would like to try En>En+En>Pt, I can send it by PM. Since I merged already several dictionaries, it is not much work for me.

Last edited by tshering; 03-24-2013 at 11:17 AM.
Old 03-24-2013, 11:40 AM   #23
tempest@de
Fanatic
tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

tshering

If you don't mind I would like to try it.

Would you let me know if I understood what I would have to do if I wanted to merge them? What I said in the previous post was correct or I didn’t understand at all how it was done? I’m curios because it seemed quite a bit of work but you managed to merge several dictionaries.
Old 03-24-2013, 01:11 PM   #24
unaj41
Enthusiast
unaj41 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.unaj41 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.unaj41 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.unaj41 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.unaj41 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.unaj41 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.unaj41 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.unaj41 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.unaj41 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.unaj41 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.unaj41 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.

Quote:
This post links to a tutorial on HowToCreateKoboDictionaries.zip.

You might find some further useful information here.

There is also a tool for converting stardic dictionaries, cf. this post.
Thanks for pointing me to these ... I have installed python, downloaded the penelope script and even got hold of eng-cze stardict ... unfortunately when I run the script I am getting an error, because ".ifo not found or with wrong syntax" ... I am not sure, where the problem is ... ifo file is in the same dir as the script file (so it should not be missing), but I can't really verify the syntax of the file ...
Old 03-24-2013, 01:43 PM   #25
tshering
Wizard

Quote:
tsheringIf you don't mind I would like to try it.
I sent you a PM.
Quote:
Would you let me know if I understood what I would have to do if I wanted to merge them? What I said in the previous post was correct or I didn’t understand at all how it was done? I’m curios because it seemed quite a bit of work but you managed to merge several dictionaries.
Your understanding is absolutely correct.
Old 03-24-2013, 01:49 PM   #26
tshering
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by unaj41 View Post
Thanks for pointing me to these ... I have installed python, downloaded the penelope script and even got hold of eng-cze stardict ... unfortunately when I run the script I am getting an error, because ".ifo not found or with wrong syntax" ... I am not sure, where the problem is ... ifo file is in the same dir as the script file (so it should not be missing), but I can't really verify the syntax of the file ...
I never used penelope myself. So I cannot help you with this. Maybe best would be to contact ALPe and ask him for help.
It might also help if you post the exact command line how you invoked the script. Some people might understand what went wrong.

Last edited by tshering; 03-24-2013 at 01:53 PM.
Old 03-24-2013, 07:02 PM   #27
unaj41
Enthusiast

Quote:
... understand what went wrong.
Thanks tshering ... I might need to ping him ... because ... today, when I was trying to verify the syntax and recreate the error the script actually run ... but just error out little bit latter ... I think now it has to do something about the marisa piece ... but since this whole thing is little too much coding for my skills I am really only guessing ... I'll keep trying ... Thanks!
Old 03-26-2013, 06:35 AM   #28
tempest@de
Fanatic

Thank you tshering!

Quote:
I sent you a PM.

Your understanding is absolutely correct.
Old 03-26-2013, 02:36 PM   #29
raincloud
raincloud began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
my Kobo Glo decides which dictionary to use by looking at both the Glo's default language and the language of the book. i noticed that the Glo correctly determines the dictionary to use if the language of the book is in lowercase. Unfortunately, each book's language is stored in the Glo's database and can't be changed easily. If the language for your book is in lowercase, it chooses that dictionary (so 'pt' would choose the Portuguese dictionary, but 'PT' will choose the dictionary of the Glo's default language, which in my case is English).

to fix this, you need to open the Glo's database in sqlite3 and update the language for the book to be lowercase. the database is at /.kobo/KoboReader.sqlite. Look at the language column of the content table.
raincloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 05:24 PM   #30
tshering
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by raincloud View Post
i noticed that the Glo correctly determines the dictionary to use if the language of the book is in lowercase.
Nice finding, raincloud! I didn't have a single language information in uppercase, so I had to change one language entry to uppercase in order to test it.