Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 02-22-2013, 10:17 AM   #16
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizwor View Post
Bill Gates and Tim Cook are both smiling. Meanwhile Jeff Bezos is scouring mainland China for facilities to build a $199.99 version of this -- with Special Offers.

I wonder if Apple owns the trademark for "Pixel"?
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 10:48 AM   #17
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizwor View Post
Bill Gates and Tim Cook are both smiling. Meanwhile Jeff Bezos is scouring mainland China for facilities to build a $199.99 version of this -- with Special Offers.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:03 AM   #18
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, KFHD7, GTab 8.4 Pro, iPadAir 2
I have a history of not being overly impressed with Google-branded devices. They're solid, but IMO not worthy of the gushing praise their devices receive.

This Chromebook however, I find exciting. I don't expect the commodity-mindset of most Windows users to see the value in fit-n-finish, quality construction, material, and design (and the added cost that goes along with those things), but I think that Google nailed it.

I'm not a fan of Chrome OS. If this was running Android, I'd be seriously considering it, and if it can run Windows (even if it is Win8) I'd definitely buy it.

It'll be interesting to see how well this does.
WillysJeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:06 AM   #19
pl001
Evangelist
pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Color, EVO3D, Surface RT, Galaxy S5, Surface 3
Yeah I'm with you guys, I just don't get this at all. I didn't have much interest in the cheap chromebooks, but at least I understood their purpose and value.

The only thing spec'd good on this thing is the screen, and even then it's an odd non-standard aspect ratio (for PCs anyway). The big selling point the Google diehards are claiming is the 3 years of free 1TB cloud storage, which is an $1800 value. I guess if you need that it's a good deal. But very few people need or want that. Otherwise it's basically an expensive web browser with a pretty screen.

Last edited by pl001; 02-22-2013 at 11:11 AM.
pl001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:07 AM   #20
silasgreenback
New Leaf Turner
silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by din155 View Post
Did you not read the "brings together the best in hardware, software, and design to inspire future innovation" part?
Saw that and then read the specs. Scroll to bottom and look for "Full Specs" button for more detail.

The Core i5 is nice and it has a small SSD, but USB 2.0 & 4GB RAM? Cloud backups are swell but offering a TB of Gdrive space to complement an equivalent physical disk would come closer to the asking price being acceptable.

For the cost and what is offered, the whole to inspire future innovation bit is something like a bad omen, especially if every other vendor takes the cloud-only philosophy and runs with it.

Last edited by silasgreenback; 02-22-2013 at 11:11 AM. Reason: Link clarification.
silasgreenback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:16 AM   #21
pl001
Evangelist
pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysJeepMan View Post
I don't expect the commodity-mindset of most Windows users to see the value in fit-n-finish, quality construction, material, and design (and the added cost that goes along with those things), but I think that Google nailed it.
That's an ironic statement, considering how Microsoft's Surface compares to Android devices and previous Chromebooks in those areas.

Last edited by pl001; 02-22-2013 at 11:27 AM. Reason: whoops, you clearly stated you weren't a fan in the past. Edited.
Old 02-22-2013, 11:42 AM   #22
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Meanwhile, Google's shares crossed the $800 mark last Tuesday. The first tech company to ever do so. Even Apple never got that high; peaking at $705.07.

Google stock hits new record, closes above $800

Quote:
The sky-high stock price comes amid rumors the search giant is planning to build retail stores.

Google's stock closed at an all-time high of $806.85 today, becoming the first tech firm to pass the $800 mark and signaling that Wall Street approves of the company's rumored move into retail stores.
Old 02-22-2013, 12:23 PM   #23
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
It's a nice device, but it's too much dosh for what ultimately is a machine running a glorified browser. The lack of apps is its Achilles heel.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 12:34 PM   #24
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.
DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite · Fire HD6/HD8/HD10 · Galaxy Tab A7
The Google Pixel is a gorgeous machine, but overpriced. The screen is beautiful and I love the idea of a backlit keyboard for nighttime use, but it won't run MS Word, which I use a lot.

When I win the lottery (yeah, right), I'll buy one...but not until then.
DreamWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 12:43 PM   #25
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by pl001 View Post
Yeah I'm with you guys, I just don't get this at all. I didn't have much interest in the cheap chromebooks, but at least I understood their purpose and value.

The only thing spec'd good on this thing is the screen, and even then it's an odd non-standard aspect ratio (for PCs anyway). The big selling point the Google diehards are claiming is the 3 years of free 1TB cloud storage, which is an $1800 value. I guess if you need that it's a good deal. But very few people need or want that. Otherwise it's basically an expensive web browser with a pretty screen.

I like my Chromebook, but it was the $249 Chromebook. It's hard to see what the target market is for this device at this price. I don't mind the screen resolution, the 3x2 is a good compromise between 16x9 which is good for movies and TV and 4x3 which is good for documents. I've been impressed with some of the web based apps, but there is still a ways to go before they are fully practical.
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 12:56 PM   #26
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
They didn't make this thing because they thought they'd sell millions of $1300 Chromebooks. They did it because they knew it would blow up the internet (figuratively speaking, of course). I've been hearing about the $1300 Chromebook since I got out of bed this morning. That's what this is about - getting everyone talking about Chromebooks. The Pixel is the attention getter so that people will notice the cheaper ones.

And from what I can tell, it's working.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 01:01 PM   #27
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumIguana View Post
I like my Chromebook, but it was the $249 Chromebook. It's hard to see what the target market is for this device at this price. I don't mind the screen resolution, the 3x2 is a good compromise between 16x9 which is good for movies and TV and 4x3 which is good for documents. I've been impressed with some of the web based apps, but there is still a ways to go before they are fully practical.
I still want a Chromebook. Does the Samsung support Netflix yet?
Old 02-22-2013, 01:09 PM   #28
pl001
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWatkinsNash View Post
They didn't make this thing because they thought they'd sell millions of $1300 Chromebooks. They did it because they knew it would blow up the internet (figuratively speaking, of course). I've been hearing about the $1300 Chromebook since I got out of bed this morning. That's what this is about - getting everyone talking about Chromebooks. The Pixel is the attention getter so that people will notice the cheaper ones.

And from what I can tell, it's working.

Could be. Or it could be a lesson from the Nexus 4. I don't think they ever had any intention of that being a huge seller even though it could have been if they kept up with demand. Instead it was a source of frustration for people unable to get one and probably hurt Android sales overall to some extent as people waited for it to become available.

So if they overprice this one out of the ballpark they still have a benchmark showing what Chromebook can be without squeezing their OEM partners.

But that flies in the face of what they did with the Nexus 7. So who knows.
Old 02-22-2013, 01:18 PM   #29
DianNC
Banned
DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color, Entourage Pocket Edge, iPod Touch 5th Gen
The U.S. government will probably buy them. The USDA bought a bunch of Nook Colors for their field agents a few years ago, ostensibly for the reading of .pdfs (uh huh).
DianNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 01:29 PM   #30
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
Tablet computers do have practical uses besides playing Angry Birds. If the Government buys the Nook instead of the iPad, that's just choosing a cheaper tablet.
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote