I do it with the little finger. 1 1.08%
I do it with all my fingers (please explain) 2 2.15%
I do it with a toe 1 1.08%
I use another way (please specify) 2 2.15%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-23-2009, 09:54 AM   #16
kazbates
Wizard
kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SurfacePro, SurfaceBook 2
I've often wondered if the design teams for some of these gadgets actually talk to regular people when they make changes. I would have loved to have had some input into the changes they made on the 600 and the first thing to go would be the raised frame. The second would be the button placement. This poll shows that many people prefer using the buttons but like the other aspects of the 600 enough to want it over the 300. Putting the buttons in a more ergonomic position would have made a great deal of sense. It makes me wonder if they actually use the products they are creating.
kazbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 11:19 AM   #17
Journier
Groupie
Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Mostly I hold my 600 by the right edge or lower right hand corner and use a slight swipe with my thumb. Sometimes, when I hold it at the bottom, I will use the page turn buttons. Mostly I like the convenience of just touching the screen.
Journier is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-23-2009, 11:25 AM   #18
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazbates View Post
I've often wondered if the design teams for some of these gadgets actually talk to regular people when they make changes. I would have loved to have had some input into the changes they made on the 600 and the first thing to go would be the raised frame. The second would be the button placement. This poll shows that many people prefer using the buttons but like the other aspects of the 600 enough to want it over the 300. Putting the buttons in a more ergonomic position would have made a great deal of sense. It makes me wonder if they actually use the products they are creating.
i wonder the same thing, frequently. it's too bad, because we've got a huge pool of people here who i'm sure would LOVE to be beta-testers for new designs. even without using an external pool, i agree, 5 minutes of any of their designers actually using the thing themselves should have made it obvious that the raised frame was a mistake. maybe they never actually see them except as drawings...

personally, apart from the raised screen, i would put the "back" button back where it was on the 700, rather than sticking it at the bottom of the options menu, or at the top left corner of a popup screen (the worst possible place for it, for me. even the top right would be better). the rest of the buttons don't bother me, but i can imagine that someone who uses them to turn pages would prefer a more ergonomic design / placement for them.

luckily, apart from this sort of detail, i think the interface is actually really well-done, overall.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 12:19 PM   #19
kazbates
Wizard
kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SurfacePro, SurfaceBook 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
i wonder the same thing, frequently. it's too bad, because we've got a huge pool of people here who i'm sure would LOVE to be beta-testers for new designs. even without using an external pool, i agree, 5 minutes of any of their designers actually using the thing themselves should have made it obvious that the raised frame was a mistake. maybe they never actually see them except as drawings...

personally, apart from the raised screen, i would put the "back" button back where it was on the 700, rather than sticking it at the bottom of the options menu, or at the top left corner of a popup screen (the worst possible place for it, for me. even the top right would be better). the rest of the buttons don't bother me, but i can imagine that someone who uses them to turn pages would prefer a more ergonomic design / placement for them.

luckily, apart from this sort of detail, i think the interface is actually really well-done, overall.
I completely agree about the back button. The missing back button was something I commented on after I went to the Sony Style store to compare the 600 with my 700 before I ordered it. I was surprised they had reduced the number of buttons (although I can say that I very rarely ever used the search button) on the 600. I still miss the Last Book Read button on the EBW1150 which I used a great deal to toggle between texts. Old habits die hard, I guess.
kazbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 01:41 PM   #20
Juliette
I eat books
Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Gen3 PRS-505 PRS-600 PB360 PB302 K2 Opus BebookMini OnyxBoox K3 KDXG
Quote:

There's a back option? I hadn't noticed. No, seriously if anything, somebody ignoring this kind of detail (well, important detail) demostrates that they missed some point in designing the reader. I love my Reader for a lot of other questions, but, as with the PRS-300 (where's even more important), I miss having handy turning page buttons like the ones in the 505.

(yes, I could have looked it up in the manual, but I didn't, which could also prove that after all it's not top of priorities for a random user; still you miss it!)

Last edited by Juliette; 09-23-2009 at 01:44 PM.
Juliette is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-23-2009, 05:38 PM   #21
MelC
Evangelist
MelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it is

Device: Cybook Gen3, PRS600
Quote:
hm, very interesting. did you change that parameter yourself, or is it by default set to that direction ? i ask, because in a discussion recently a friend showed me on his iphone that to "turn pages" (really, to move through a set of photos, but same concept) you swipe from right to left to "push the old photo out of the way" (his explanation). i imagine you can modify that gesture (i don't know for sure) but i think that was the default. it would be surprising if another apple device uses the opposite direction as default.
You know, I'm on my work computer right now so can't test it out but I think you may be right, I may have it backwards...will need to go test it out and report back unless someone else has already commented.

Mel

Mel

Last edited by MelC; 09-23-2009 at 05:41 PM.
MelC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 02:54 AM   #22
Juliette
I eat books
Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Looking at the poll- nobody really uses the ring finger? That's the only option with a 0... (I can see some reason, as it feels weaker- but maybe it's just me )
Old 09-26-2009, 04:55 AM   #23
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I don't know what a "ring finger" is. From the other options in the poll I'm guessing it's the finger next to the little finger? I never knew that there was a specific finger that one had to wear a ring on .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 05:45 AM   #24
dylenol
dylenol began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600
I am a right to left page turn simulator myself. However, I was able to do it with my nose the other day.
dylenol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 08:33 AM   #25
Juliette
I eat books

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I don't know what a "ring finger" is. From the other options in the poll I'm guessing it's the finger next to the little finger? I never knew that there was a specific finger that one had to wear a ring on .
It's the fourth finger- the one for the wedding ring. If one wants to marry, that's it (I actually found the forms on my dictionary... sounds a bit like annularis, which gave the neolatin languages forms).
Old 09-26-2009, 08:34 AM   #26
Juliette
I eat books

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylenol View Post
I am a right to left page turn simulator myself. However, I was able to do it with my nose the other day.
SPECTACULAR!
Old 09-26-2009, 08:58 AM   #27
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by dylenol View Post
good solution for myopic people ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliette View Post
It's the fourth finger- the one for the wedding ring. If one wants to marry, that's it (I actually found the forms on my dictionary... sounds a bit like annularis, which gave the neolatin languages forms).
in french it's called the annulaire ("anneau" means ring).

i don't use it because it's usually (with the other three...) behind, as a support, since i'm usually reading one-handed.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 01:28 PM   #28
Juliette
I eat books

Quote:
i don't use it because it's usually (with the other three...) behind, as a support, since i'm usually reading one-handed.
Yes, that's it!
Old 09-26-2009, 03:40 PM   #29
MelC
Evangelist
MelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it is

Device: Cybook Gen3, PRS600
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelC View Post
You know, I'm on my work computer right now so can't test it out but I think you may be right, I may have it backwards...will need to go test it out and report back unless someone else has already commented.

Mel

Mel
Okay just to finally resolve this (although probably no one cares anymore ) I am on my macbook now and it is definitely left to right for page forward and right to left for page back.

Mel
MelC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 03:42 PM   #30
Juliette
I eat books

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelC View Post
Okay just to finally resolve this (although probably no one cares anymore ) I am on my macbook now and it is definitely left to right for page forward and right to left for page back.

Mel
I do care (or I'd never begun the thread): quite interesting! Thank you!

Tags
page turn gesture, prs-600, touch screen