Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Reading and Management

Notices

Old 06-14-2009, 04:18 PM   #1
Exinferis
Exinferis began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PSP, NDS, Samsung i900 (Omnia)
PDF Conversion Help

Hi all,

I'm not sure if anyone will be able to help me with this, but if you don't ask you never know!

I've got some PDF eBooks I downloaded from the BBC website; namely some Doctor Who books I'm quite keen to read. I don't have a dedicated eBook reader (they seem so expensive here in the UK) but I have been successfully using my PSP with Bookr in order to read a few PDFs and Text files from Project Guttenburg. I'm generally happy with Bookr but for some reason I can't get the BBC books to display properly.

I've tried converting from PDF to TXT with several freeware programs but none work correctly.

Would anyone here know of a decent, preferably free, conversion tool that would convert from PDF to TXT? Or of some way I can resize a PDF so that it'll fit my PSP screen properly? Or, failing all that, of some software I can use to read the PDFs on my Omnia?

Ex
Exinferis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 06:59 AM   #2
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I suggest installing Mobipocket reader on your Omnia

http://www.mobipocket.com/en/Downloa...=WindowsMobile

And also install Mobipocket reader on your Windows PC (Sadly no Mac or Linux version).

The Windows version hosul make a fair job of conversion from PDF, although you may get a better conversion by downloading the HTML from the website.

The Mobipocket reader on your Omnia should work very well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exinferis View Post
I've got some PDF eBooks I downloaded from the BBC website; namely some Doctor Who books I'm quite keen to read. I don't have a dedicated eBook reader (they seem so expensive here in the UK) but I have been successfully using my PSP with Bookr in order to read a few PDFs and Text files from Project Guttenburg. I'm generally happy with Bookr but for some reason I can't get the BBC books to display properly.

I've tried converting from PDF to TXT with several freeware programs but none work correctly.

Would anyone here know of a decent, preferably free, conversion tool that would convert from PDF to TXT? Or of some way I can resize a PDF so that it'll fit my PSP screen properly? Or, failing all that, of some software I can use to read the PDFs on my Omnia?

Ex
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-15-2009, 09:11 AM   #3
Exinferis
Exinferis began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PSP, NDS, Samsung i900 (Omnia)
Hi pdurrant and thanks for the advice. I saw Mobipocket mentioned quite a lot on here so I did download and install it on my Omnia last night. I also downloaded their conversion tool but have to plead ignorance as to where in my Omnia's file structure I should put the converted file! I've only had the Omnia for a week and am still working my way around all it's features.

I don't read eBooks on my PC so unless the stand alone conversion tool really doesn't work I'm not sure I'll need the reader for Windows. But I'll bear it in mind if the stand alone doesn't work.
Exinferis is offline   Reply With Quote