Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 08-10-2023, 08:09 PM   #16
democrite
Evangelist
democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.

Device: none
Best book app for iPad Pro?

I use Readle Documents/PDF Expert. It uses a side bar for both toc and search rwsukrs, and such is easy to navigate and search large documents with many search results. UI while reading is decent enough.

File search is not ideal, kinda buggy, and slow. As I use iCloud drive to sync with devices and macOS, an app that uses the default iCloud drive for file navigation would be ok. But none of them I've tried have such sidebars, making search cumbersome.

Readdle also supports basic EPUB reading.
democrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2023, 12:10 PM   #17
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggo View Post
It depends on your needs, but I wouldn’t recommend BookFusion for either PDF or ePub.
BookFusion wants to be a jack-of-all-trades, but can't do anything right.
For PDF I also recommend GoodReader and for ePub MapleRead.
I'm using BookFusion for ePub and it's working well. But I would never use it for PDF.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-11-2023, 12:11 PM   #18
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Thanks, my bad.

Are Lithium, Pocketbook or Bluefire on iOS?
I don't know about Lithium, but Pocketbook and Bluefire are on iOS.
Old 08-11-2023, 12:13 PM   #19
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by democrite View Post
I use Readle Documents/PDF Expert. It uses a side bar for both toc and search rwsukrs, and such is easy to navigate and search large documents with many search results. UI while reading is decent enough.

File search is not ideal, kinda buggy, and slow. As I use iCloud drive to sync with devices and macOS, an app that uses the default iCloud drive for file navigation would be ok. But none of them I've tried have such sidebars, making search cumbersome.

Readdle also supports basic EPUB reading.
Does Readdle respect the CSS?
Old 08-12-2023, 12:42 AM   #20
Wiggo
Leftutti
Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I'm using BookFusion for ePub and it's working well. But I would never use it for PDF.
For children's books for sure
Wiggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-12-2023, 03:29 AM   #21
Wiggo
Leftutti
Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by democrite View Post
I have just tested PDF expert briefly

GoodReader is better for looking things up on the web, but the export of annotations is more eye candy in PE. Unfortunately, with longer annotations the text is shortened, the last few words are always missing.
Wiggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2023, 02:44 PM   #22
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

You cannot read most eBooks from Overdrive with Books as it doesn't support the DRM needed.
Old 08-27-2023, 01:15 AM   #23
Wesmosis
Wesmosis began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
PDF expert
Wesmosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2023, 05:00 AM   #24
Robin
Robin began at the beginning.

Device: galaxy s9
Here are some best apps,

Apple Books
Kindle
Audible
Goodreads
Libby
Google Play Books
Barnes & Noble Nook
Scribd
Kobo Books
OverDrive
Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2023, 05:12 AM   #25
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin View Post
Here are some best apps,

Apple Books
Kindle
Audible
Goodreads
Libby
Google Play Books
Barnes & Noble Nook
Scribd
Kobo Books
OverDrive
Books is a lousy app. Audible is only good if you are going to pay for a subscription.

Goodreads is not for reading.

BookFusion is good. For PDF, Goodreader is the best.

I don't know how good most of those apps are as I've not used them.
Old 08-29-2023, 09:52 AM   #26
skillachie
Addict
skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab 10" , Kindle Fire, Pixel 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by betelguese View Post
I checked BookFusion in the App Store and the description says "Integrated Reader - Read all your EPUB, PDF, & CBZ/CBR eBooks both online and offline with clean and intuitive interface .".
So isnt's BookFusion enough for PDF&EPUB? Why do you suggest GoodReader separately for PDF? Is there something wrong in the way BookFusion handles PDF's? Thanks
Developer here from BookFusion. Please do check us out for yourself and not rely on only the opinions of others. Some opinions are fair but some are unfortunately biased. Look at the reviews that we have in the App Store.

PDFs - We support rich highlights and annotations. Even image/area based highlights are supported that allows you to annotate images, tables and other non-text items. Let us know what other improvements you would like to see for PDFs we are open to feedback and more than likely have those changes planned if any.

Last edited by skillachie; 08-29-2023 at 10:03 AM.
skillachie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2023, 09:28 AM   #27
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by skillachie View Post
Developer here from BookFusion. Please do check us out for yourself and not rely on only the opinions of others. Some opinions are fair but some are unfortunately biased. Look at the reviews that we have in the App Store.

PDFs - We support rich highlights and annotations. Even image/area based highlights are supported that allows you to annotate images, tables and other non-text items. Let us know what other improvements you would like to see for PDFs we are open to feedback and more than likely have those changes planned if any.
So far, I am liking BookFusion for reading ePub on my iPhone SE 2020.
Old 09-09-2023, 03:01 AM   #28
skillachie
Addict
skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
So far, I am liking BookFusion for reading ePub on my iPhone SE 2020.
Happy to hear. You mentioned you would not use BookFusion for PDF. Can you share with us some feedback where we fall short in our PDF reader? Would like to understand if it is just the ability to free draw or write(planned) that is missing or something more since.

Feel free to reply here or in our thread. Looking forward to learning more so we can improve this.
Old 09-09-2023, 04:40 AM   #29
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by skillachie View Post
Happy to hear. You mentioned you would not use BookFusion for PDF. Can you share with us some feedback where we fall short in our PDF reader? Would like to understand if it is just the ability to free draw or write(planned) that is missing or something more since.

Feel free to reply here or in our thread. Looking forward to learning more so we can improve this.
If I really needed an app to deal with PDF other then just reading, I would use Goodreader.

I'm not a fan of eBook reading apps that also handle PDF. I just want the app to deal with ePub. I don't need the bloat needed to also handle PDF.

I would prefer if BookFusion was made for ePub only and the PDF functionality can be made into a separate app. Maybe call it PDFFusion as PDF is not an eBook format. The name BookFusion doesn't make any sense for PDF as it's not a book.
Old 09-09-2023, 09:01 AM   #30
skillachie
Addict

Quote:
If I really needed an app to deal with PDF other then just reading, I would use Goodreader.

I'm not a fan of eBook reading apps that also handle PDF. I just want the app to deal with ePub. I don't need the bloat needed to also handle PDF.

I would prefer if BookFusion was made for ePub only and the PDF functionality can be made into a separate app. Maybe call it PDFFusion as PDF is not an eBook format. The name BookFusion doesn't make any sense for PDF as it's not a book.
Thanks for getting back.

So this is more just a personal preference of wanting different functionalities in a separate app based on the way you read. Many technical books and textbooks are in PDF format.

If that is the only reason though, it is not fair to suggest not using BookFusion for PDF as it is not based on a lack of functionality that you found missing just that you prefer to keep PDF and EPUB formats in different apps.

Alright, well no steps we can actionable take from the feedback at this time besides the items we had plan to add support for.