Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 10-18-2023, 04:28 PM   #16
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyteflyer View Post
That’s odd. I have always been able to read in 2 column mode on my iPad. I’m on an iPad Air 3, iOS17 and just yesterday I reset the whole thing because I was having issues related to various apps and the only apps that were reinstalled were the Apple ones… ncluding a new unsullied version of Books, and it immediately gave me 2 columns in landscape mode (I don’t read in portrait mode on iPad). I don’t know how to get it separately (cannot in portrait anyway) but increasing font size is easy, you should get a top menu if you tap in the lower right area. Or maybe lower left depending on what you have in general settings.
But you only get to choose to Allow 2-column mode. You cannot force it to use it. Once it decides text size is too large, it will revert to single column. That is the complaint.

Personally I don't care for 2 column mode, so it is pretty much Portrait only for me on iPad mini. I have an old iPad Air 2 but do not read much on it. If I did, I probably would still use one column and increase the margins and text size a little. And on my iPad Pro 12.9" I like to use Stage Manager which lets me make a portrait app window even when the device is in Landscape (i.e. when it is attached to Magic Keyboard case).

The exception would be for fixed layout content, where if the display is large enough, I want facing pages.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote