Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 11-15-2021, 05:50 AM   #1
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro/Kindle Oasis 3/iPhone 13 Pro Max
Iphone 13 Pro Max

I just bought one at 256 GB. Wow, a very nice phone. It should be it's almost the price of an Ipad pro. I did get some trade in from my iPhone XR to help offset the cost.

Good quality screen
Excellent camera (although I haven't tried that much and usually don't)
Helps with my eye. I have CSR (a form of wet macular degeneration) in my right eye, so every extra bit of screen area helps. If I could have gotten an older model with my the max screen I might have, but they keep the max to current generation only. I read fairly comfortably with it on my flights yesterday with my reading glasses (the good eye lense punched out).
Battery life is great. Two days easy even with some heavy usage with working from home.

Dislikes:
Cost almost as much as an iPad pro
You pay for that battery life with a heavier phone. A trade off I'm willing to make.
The guy setting up my phone lost all my pictures. I stopped by the apple store on a whim because of supply issues they are always out of them. When I stopped by just to look at them they actually had one that came in that morning in stock (blue 256 GB). I told him I didn't back my phone up yet. He said no problem I'll get it all over. he did for the most part, but after he erased my old phone and I got home I realized my pictures were gone and not in the cloud. I was angry, but i could have checked before he erased it so my bad too.

Last edited by drofgnal; 11-15-2021 at 08:15 AM.
drofgnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 10:07 AM   #2
David Munch
Scholar
David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O + iPad Air 4
You don't use iCloud Photo Library? It works wonders for synchronization, and is an excellent secondary backup.

Myself, I am going to buy an iPhone 13 Mini coming Black Friday or Cyber monday. Time to upgrade from my iPhone 4s.
David Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-15-2021, 02:11 PM   #3
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

No I don't use icloud for photos. I never bothered to pay the extra for more than the 5 gb free storage. I try to remember to hook up to my laptop periodically and put them in thier and clean my phone out. I just hadn't done it and it was a miracle they had the phone I wanted in stock. Mostly they don't have it. That's why I said my bad too. I shoule have bought it, run home and downloaded my pics, then went back and had them finish setting the phone up.
Old 11-15-2021, 04:10 PM   #4
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, iPhone 13 Pro Max, iPad mini 6, iPad Air 2020, Alexa Devices
I only pay $0.99/month for 50GB of iCloud storage. It is worth the convenience of having my photos and other data available on all my iThingies and Macs, and having them all backed up without having to mess with using a Mac.

Too late now, but the free 5GB iCloud plan is probably enough to do a backup of an iPhone OTA. I would NEVER trust clerks at any store, even an Apple Store, to set up my new iPhone. I always make a backup just prior to setting up the new phone.

The good thing about iCloud backups is that you can set it to automatically make backups of your iPhone when the same is being charged. If you ever lose, damage, or suddenly trade in your iPhone you will have a fairly recent backup.
OtinG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 04:06 PM   #5
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by drofgnal View Post
I just bought one at 256 GB. Wow, a very nice phone. It should be it's almost the price of an Ipad pro.
There's no almost about it. The iPhone 13 Pro Max is the same price as the 2021 iPad Pro 12.9 and $300 more expensive than the 2021 iPad Pro 11.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-16-2021, 04:09 PM   #6
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Munch View Post
You don't use iCloud Photo Library? It works wonders for synchronization, and is an excellent secondary backup.
Yep, it makes for a very convenient offsite backup. It's pretty much the only backup for my parents since they can't be bothered connected their iPhone to PC (USB) to create backups. I've gotten pretty lax here too and only do iTunes backups prior to updating iOS/switching devices.

Honestly, if it wasn't for automatic iCloud backup and sync while charging, I'm sure my parents would have lost contacts, messages and tons of photos.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 05:37 AM   #7
drofgnal
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
There's no almost about it. The iPhone 13 Pro Max is the same price as the 2021 iPad Pro 12.9 and $300 more expensive than the 2021 iPad Pro 11.
You're right. I was forgetting I got money for my trade-in. I also wish they'd had the 11 or 12 max available and I'd have sprung for that. Getting the max was kind of a necessity for me at this point because of my eye.
Old 11-30-2021, 12:41 AM   #8
kantecty
kantecty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kantecty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kantecty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kantecty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kantecty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kantecty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kantecty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kantecty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kantecty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kantecty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kantecty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone 11
Iphone 13 pro max is waterproof or not
kantecty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 04:57 AM   #9
drofgnal
Wizard

Water resistant to a depth of 6 meters for 30 minutes.
Old 12-05-2021, 09:08 PM   #10
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
I want the pink once i am able to upgrade
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2021, 04:49 AM   #11
drofgnal
Wizard

The thing that impresses me about this phone is how long the battery lasts. I'm kind of a power user of one, working from home and I can get 2 days off a battery charge.
Old 12-13-2021, 05:46 AM   #12
David Munch
Scholar
David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I ordered my 13 Mini on the 26th of November (Black Friday offer), and am still waiting for it. *Sigh* Delivery was postponed from tomorrow to the 21st. I hope I get it before Christmas.
Old 12-15-2021, 04:58 AM   #13
drofgnal
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Munch View Post
I ordered my 13 Mini on the 26th of November (Black Friday offer), and am still waiting for it. *Sigh* Delivery was postponed from tomorrow to the 21st. I hope I get it before Christmas.
My apple store was constantly saying the phone I wanted was out of stock and wouldn't be available for delivery until Mid December and that was mid Nov. I just stopped by one day and they had a few. He says their website will say out of stock when in reality they may have a couple. I was glad I checked.
Old 01-09-2022, 05:53 PM   #14
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
I just got iPhone 13 Pro Max last week. I normally would prefer smaller size but decided the extra battery capacity was more important. I traded in my iPhone 11 for it, and am glad I went for the larger screen: the OLED screen is really nice to read on in the dark, and in other environments as well. I haven’t read on iPhone since getting iPad mini but I’ll be doing some now. The camera improvements (macro capability, 3x optical zoom, better low light) will be nice too.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 08:29 AM   #15
David Munch
Scholar

My iPhone 13 mini order was pushed again to the 11th of January, but it surprised me by arriving on the 22nd of December!

So far, very happy with it. Size is perfect for me, as I come from an iPhone 5S, and it is very fast which is of course enjoyable. Haven't had time to play around with the cameras much yet, but it is of course quite an upgrade so far..