Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-24-2020, 04:52 AM   #1
mobilerandyou
Banned
mobilerandyou began at the beginning.

Device: nohave
Magazines that offer digital issues in EPUB?

Just curious if anyone has run across some digital magazines that offer issues as downloadable epubs.
. I've seen quite a few that offer PDFs or Kindle's format, but I have a Kobo, so that's a no unless I'm willing to convert every time.

Last edited by issybird; 03-04-2020 at 03:08 AM.
mobilerandyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 05:27 AM   #2
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
It's not much bother using Calibre. I need it anyway to manage all my ebook content. I don't remember the last time I transferred anything other than SW updates or patches direct to any of my ereaders.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-24-2020, 05:48 AM   #3
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Uncanny, The Dark, and Clarkesworld are all available in epub downloads. I believe Fireside and Beneath Ceaseless Skies are, too.

Converting from Kindle format may be fine (depending on the specifics), but you're quite right to steer clear of converting PDFs.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 05:50 AM   #4
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Can't really think of any. All the ones I've seen either use PDF or various apps like Apple News or Zinio.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 09:10 AM   #5
Sarmat89
Evangelist
Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
The EPUB format is not suitable for magazines. The PDF is only realistic way to spread them.
Sarmat89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-24-2020, 09:41 AM   #6
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarmat89 View Post
The EPUB format is not suitable for magazines. The PDF is only realistic way to spread them.
I think it all depends on how you view a magazine.

If for instance you only want the text / photos from articles, I see nothing at all wrong with epub formatting for articles.

If on the other hand you expect an electronic version to include (shudder) the advertisements then epub might not suffice.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 09:48 AM   #7
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
True for a copy of physical magazines. Better off to buy the paper. Or else use a 10" to 14" tablet if determined to read PDFs.

However there ARE magazines with properly formatted flowing text. They tend to be largely text based with illustrations. I've only seen them on Amazon / Kindle but converted well to ePub and readable on 5" eink, phone, Kindle PW3 and Kobo H2O original.
The Last City: a Dust Publishing anthology (maybe more a compilation book)
Fantasy & Science Fiction: Spillogate (Definitely a subscription magazine)
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 03:17 AM   #8
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
And yet, I just gave a handful of examples which work perfectly as epubs.

The OP really needs to give us more guidance what kind of magazines they're looking for, though. SF, which is the examples I gave? Knitting patterns? Fashion & lifestyle? Popular science? Wine tasting? Literary? Asking for "magazines" is like asking for "books".
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 12:38 PM   #9
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Lightspeed Magazine, along with their additional publications, Nightmare and Fantasy comes in mobi, epub and pdf. Asimov's is available in all formats. Galaxy's Edge (http://www.galaxysedge.com/) is also available in all formats.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 02:41 PM   #10
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
I’d say about 80% of the magazines in Apple News+ are reflowable/scrollable, not PDF, and it seems there are fewer of the latter over time (because having fixed format precludes articles from appearing in Today feed, getting read, and generating revenue). Needless to say, it is not pleasant to read PDF on a smartphone, and I don’t care for them that much even on my iPad.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote