Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 02-10-2012, 10:28 AM   #1
gcbartlett
gcbartlett began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
Question Mapping Publisher to Composer (iTunes)

Is it possible to map the Publisher field from Calibre metadata to the Composer field in iTunes? I didn't see how this was possible in the "Metadata Mapping and Plugboard Transformations" article.

Also, wouldn't it be better to store the UUID in the Description field (so that Calibre only uses one field and not two for it's meta info)? If I delete the UUID from the Composer field (because I use it to store the Publisher), how will this affect my syncing from Calibre?

If not, does the restriction stem from limitations in the iTunes automation API? Is it not possible to set arbitrary iTunes fields from the API?

Thanks,
Gary
gcbartlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 12:22 PM   #2
GRiker
Comparer of the Ephemeris
GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
The UUID is stored in the Composer field because it's one of the few fields searchable from the iTunes API. This is necessary because calibre needs to be able to search the iTunes database for a positive match on a book when doing various operations. If you repurpose the Composer field, it won't break anything, but calibre may not be able to find/delete a book.

G
GRiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
composer, itunes, mapping, publisher, transformation