Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 02-21-2012, 11:17 AM   #12466
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Not what I'm reading... but what I'm considering reading. Has anyone read anything by Lauren Beukes? I just heard an interview with her on one of my tech podcasts and she sounds quite interesting.

Her two current books are Moxyland and Zoo City. They are sf/fantasy and only $2.99 for Kindle.

The book she is currently working on sounds most fascinating, about a time traveling serial killer.

BOb

Last edited by pilotbob; 02-21-2012 at 07:01 PM.
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 12:23 PM   #12467
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Just finished "Thraxas" by Martin Scott. A re-read of an old favourite. The first in a series.

Thraxas is a failed sorceror (he was thrown out for being a drunkard), former mercenary, and not very successful private investigator who operates out of an upstairs room at "The Avenging Axe", an inn owned by his old friend Gurd the (retired) barbarian. He's the cheapest PI in the hopelessly corrupt city of Turai, and spends most of his time drunk. He's assisted in his adventures by the axe-wielding Makri, a young girl with human, elf, and orc blood, who spent 7 years as a gladiator in the orc slave-pits, and who now works as a barmaid at the "Avenging Axe", wearing a chainmail bikini.

Thraxas is in big trouble, owing money to the local mob (the "Brotherhood") for gambling debts after betting unwisely at the chariot races. He is, therefore, somewhat surprised to be hired by the Princess Du-Akai, third in line to the throne, to recover some rather risque letters she unwisely wrote to a foreign ambassador.

An extremely funny take on the "hard-boiled" detective genre. Well worth a read for detective and fantasy fans alike. Thoroughly recommended.

The entire series is published by Baen at their usual reasonable prices.

Last edited by HarryT; 02-21-2012 at 12:32 PM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-21-2012, 01:43 PM   #12468
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
I'm reading The Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro. For some reason I keep hearing Anthony Hopkins voice while I'm reading.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 02:00 PM   #12469
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It is a fun series, but I think people should be warned that it ends on a bit of a cliffhanger, as the author and agent couldn't come to an agreement with Baen for the next book.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 02:03 PM   #12470
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Just finished "Thraxas" by Martin Scott. A re-read of an old favourite. The first in a series.

Thraxas is a failed sorceror (he was thrown out for being a drunkard), former mercenary, and not very successful private investigator who operates out of an upstairs room at "The Avenging Axe", an inn owned by his old friend Gurd the (retired) barbarian. He's the cheapest PI in the hopelessly corrupt city of Turai, and spends most of his time drunk. He's assisted in his adventures by the axe-wielding Makri, a young girl with human, elf, and orc blood, who spent 7 years as a gladiator in the orc slave-pits, and who now works as a barmaid at the "Avenging Axe", wearing a chainmail bikini.

Thraxas is in big trouble, owing money to the local mob (the "Brotherhood") for gambling debts after betting unwisely at the chariot races. He is, therefore, somewhat surprised to be hired by the Princess Du-Akai, third in line to the throne, to recover some rather risque letters she unwisely wrote to a foreign ambassador.

An extremely funny take on the "hard-boiled" detective genre. Well worth a read for detective and fantasy fans alike. Thoroughly recommended.

I'm not big on fantasy, but you make the humor in that one sound worth a look.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-21-2012, 04:25 PM   #12471
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
who spent 7 years as a gladiator in the orc slave-pits, and who now works as a barmaid at the "Avenging Axe", wearing a chainmail bikini.
Bikini's should be made of thin and soft material... a chainmail bikini is a travesty. She should take it of and trebuchet it right out of the country.

BOb
Old 02-21-2012, 05:58 PM   #12472
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Not what I'm reading... but what I'm considering reading. Has anyone read anything by Lauren Beukes? I just heard an interview with here on one of my tech podcasts and she sounds quite interesting.
I'm not going to be much help, but I've got both of her books on my TBR pile. I've heard/read some good things and she's slowly crawling to the top of the pile.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 07:04 PM   #12473
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
I'm not going to be much help, but I've got both of her books on my TBR pile. I've heard/read some good things and she's slowly crawling to the top of the pile.
Same here. I bought that 4 book Ultimate Thriller Box Set for $.99 that I heard good things about and it was next on my list... but I might pick up one of hers. I like that the Kindle versions are $3 even though the paperbacks are $8. That is the way it should be.

BOb
Old 02-21-2012, 11:54 PM   #12474
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Not what I'm reading... but what I'm considering reading. Has anyone read anything by Lauren Beukes? I just heard an interview with her on one of my tech podcasts and she sounds quite interesting.

Her two current books are Moxyland and Zoo City. They are sf/fantasy and only $2.99 for Kindle.

The book she is currently working on sounds most fascinating, about a time traveling serial killer.

BOb
Not much help from me, but I have read lots of positive comments about Zoo City.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 08:55 AM   #12475
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I started Kurt Vonnegut's God Bless You, Mr. Rosewater.

After 40 pages all I have to say is God Bless you, Kurt Vonnegut.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 09:48 AM   #12476
coderserdar
Groupie
coderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five words

Device: Amazon Kindle 3 Wifi, İpod Touch 4th Generation
sir arthur conan doyle - the adventure of the copper beeches
coderserdar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 10:18 AM   #12477
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
I'm reading the new Elizabeth Moon Paksenarrion book, Echoes of Betrayal that was just released. Paks is not a primary character in this, at least not yet, but the book continues where Kings of the North left off.

So far I'm enjoying it very much, even if it did disrupt my reading plans for the next few days. Ah, well, there are certainly far worse ways to have them disrupted than a new Paks book.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 12:20 PM   #12478
tecweston
Comic book artist
tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight, iPad, iPhone
Currently reading:

- The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald (59%)

- A Feast for Crows by George R.R. Martin (56%)

- The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Angel of the Opera by Sam Siciliano (52%)

- A Dance with Dragons by George R.R. Martin (38%)

- Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking by Susan Cain (~20%) [on hold]

Just wanted to talk for a minute about The Great Gatsby. I'm reading it because there's a movie with Tobey Maguire and Leonardo diCaprio coming out later this year, so I wanted to get ready for it by reading the book. I'm really not enjoying it at all, though. It's kinda boring and I can't relate with any of the characters. But it's such a short book (155 pages) and I'm already more than halfway through, I feel obligated to finish it. I'm basically just reading one chapter of it a day before rewarding myself with Holmes and/or Westeros.

Last edited by tecweston; 02-23-2012 at 12:55 AM.
tecweston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 04:33 PM   #12479
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by tecweston View Post
Currently reading:

. . .

- Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking by Susan Cain (~20%) [on hold]

. . .
Our culture tends to value outgoing, chatty, extroverted people...but after eight, Joy Cardin's guest says introverts also have a lot to offer. Guest: Susan Cain, author of "Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking" http://www.wpr.org/cardin/index.cfm?...06%3A00%3A00.0

If you are interested.
Old 02-22-2012, 04:34 PM   #12480
thinkpad
David
thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, E.Edge (sold), Irex Iliad (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkpad View Post
I'm going to start on the third book: City of Dragons in the Rain Wilds Chronicles by Robin Hobb, published (February 7 2012).
I finished the book today and it takes off from where the second book ended. It's a quick read and I liked it. I thought this was the last book in a trilogy but I should have paid more attention. It's clear it's not the end of the story. The book ends with quite a lot of loose ends, like she did with book 1. I'm not a big fan of this sort of tactic.

Last edited by thinkpad; 02-23-2012 at 03:32 AM.
thinkpad is offline   Reply With Quote