Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 02-14-2024, 05:39 AM   #31
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
How the West Was Won is based on the book of the same title by Louis L'Amour.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2024, 05:46 AM   #32
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by drofgnal View Post
There are some real good western movies. The Man who Shot Liberty Valance, Cowboys, and How the West was Won. area few of my favorites that come to mind. For a comedic romp, I always like Cheyenne Social Club.
You left out the all time great Blazing Saddles.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2024, 03:32 AM   #33
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro/Kindle Oasis 3/iPhone 13 Pro Max
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You left out the all time great Blazing Saddles.
Oh, yea, a classic. I left a few out as well. There's Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, Stage Coach, Shane and Searchers. Then one of my all time favorites I forgot to mention was Little Big Man. Dustin Hoffman literally went into a sound proof booth and screamed at the top of his lungs for hours to get that gravely voice of his narrating character. Dedication.
drofgnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2024, 05:42 AM   #34
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by drofgnal View Post
Oh, yea, a classic. I left a few out as well. There's Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, Stage Coach, Shane and Searchers. Then one of my all time favorites I forgot to mention was Little Big Man. Dustin Hoffman literally went into a sound proof booth and screamed at the top of his lungs for hours to get that gravely voice of his narrating character. Dedication.
Paint Your Wagon and Cat Ballou are classics
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2024, 08:26 AM   #35
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I always liked and watched again, a few weeks ago, The Scalphunters with Burt Lancaster, Ossie Davis, Shelly Winters and Telly Savalas.
Apache
Old 02-17-2024, 05:39 AM   #36
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro/Kindle Oasis 3/iPhone 13 Pro Max
How the West was Won was on Turner Classic Movies last light. Very weird curved letterboxing. A distraction to watch. An explanation was on Wikipedia:

Quote:
How the West Was Won was one of only two dramatic feature films (along with The Wonderful World of the Brothers Grimm) produced with the three-strip Cinerama process. Although the picture quality when projected onto curved screens in theaters is stunning, attempts to convert the film to a smaller screen suffer. When the film is projected in letterbox format, the actors' faces are nearly indistinguishable in long shots.
drofgnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2024, 08:35 PM   #37
BenBanned
Groupie
BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paper
Once upon a time in the West is the only western I know well, going to watch a few as well. Probably everything based on a Lamour book and every Clint Eastwood movie. Lots of options out there.

Just finished reading my first Zane Grey novel: Cabin Gulch.
Here's my review
https://youtu.be/KM4T0TRm6YI?si=vHlHKN2QS6-7U5hX
BenBanned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2024, 05:43 AM   #38
Apache
Readaholic

The Outlaw Josey Wales is a good place to start with Eastwood. It is based on the book Gone To Texas by Forrest Carter. Also Joe Kidd, Unforgiven, Pale Rider, Two Mules For Sister Sara and all of his Spaghetti westerns. He even did the film version of the musical Paint Your Wagon.
Apache
Old 03-09-2024, 03:36 PM   #39
BenBanned
Groupie
BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paper
I keep coming back here as a reference, you guys really made quite the list.
I have been able to find most of these so far, with the notable exception of the Edge series.

Having a lot of fun reading this genre, was not expecting to enjoy Louis L'amour books so much.
Looking to read How the West was Won and Hopalong Cassidy next and definitely want to read Estelman soon.

Here's the video from my most recent western read if anyone interested:
https://youtu.be/J4XsRunMC2E?si=wcIdLypM63uN4vCj
BenBanned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2024, 09:33 AM   #40
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenBanned View Post
I have been able to find most of these so far, with the notable exception of the Edge series.
Here's Edge.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2024, 08:36 AM   #41
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Robert Parker (Spenser for Hire) also wrote a series of Western novels that I've been considering.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2024, 09:01 AM   #42
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
Robert Parker (Spenser for Hire) also wrote a series of Western novels that I've been considering.
They're not bad. I grew a little tired of the new ones released since his death, however.

They feature Virgil Cole and Everett Hitch.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2024, 08:12 AM   #43
mistle
mistle began at the beginning.

Device: Libra 2
Lots of great suggestions here will have to delve into them. I haven’t read many westerns but have enjoyed the movies.
mistle is offline   Reply With Quote