Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 06-18-2009, 04:43 AM   #1
SystemicPlural
SystemicPlural began at the beginning.

Device: none
usb keyboard

I am looking for an e-ink device that is preferably on the cheaper side but can have a usb (mini)keyboard plugged into it for annotating.

Most of the time I would not need the keyboard and don't want it taking up space, but when I do, I would like to plug it in to make notes.

The annotations would need to be saved against the book title and page number and be extractable to a pc.

Does this option exist yet.
Is it possible via a hack?

Any help appreciated.
SystemicPlural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 05:02 AM   #2
Abelturd
Little Fuzzy Soldier
Abelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toys

Device: cybook gen3, htc hero, ipaq 214
I don't know of any eink device that would support external keyboard. Maybe Kindle 2.0 would work for you, as it has a builtin hardware keyboard and you can take annotations with it, or so I've heard.
HP has a foldable blue-tooth keyboard for my ipaq 214 and I assume you could use that to make annotations in mobipocket reader. But ipaq's not eink based, it has an lcd screen, but there are probably lcd devices with larger screens, if screen size matters to you.

Last edited by Abelturd; 06-18-2009 at 05:05 AM.
Abelturd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-18-2009, 05:07 AM   #3
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
For a keyboard to work, you'd need an USB host or bluetooth. USB hosts can generally only be found on PC's and some PDA's. The same for bluetooth. As far as I know, there's no e-ink device on the market that supports bluetooth or has an USB host.

You might start looking at UMPC's or PDA's, as Abelturd mentioned.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote