Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 02-07-2008, 02:58 AM   #1
thetechnobear
Connoisseur
thetechnobear has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.thetechnobear has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.thetechnobear has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Iliad, Kindle K3, iPad , iPhone, etc...
WPA fix

just in case people are having this problem,

i found with my router that the iLiad could not connect via WPA/TKIP ,
and i found a fix
but first here are the preconditions, ie. things you should ensure first!
a) the iLiad could see the network i.e. search worked
b) i had countless other devices on the the network
c) i knew i had the correct shared key
d) i knew there was no MAC address blocking by the router
e) i knew i had a strong signal, i was sitting next to the wlan

basically what i found was that the iLiad was just not waiting long enough.

so to fix, you need:
a) have developer/shell access - request if necessary
b) have either ssh access via wired link (recommended), or mvxrt installed

then:
i) get a shell open via ssh or mvxrt
ii) cd /usr/bin
iii) vi wireless.sh

search for rip=4 (its in a function called waitFor...())
change this to a higher value , e.g. rip=15

this means the iLiad will wait for 15 seconds for a connection, rather than 4 which wasnt long enough on my router.

sorry, i know this is not really for the 'user community', but thought id let the knowledge be out there

think we probably need a patch file or something,

also whilst delving through this is became apparently, that perhaps a small app to diagnose such issues might be in order, you can get lots of info from wpa_status/wpa_supplicant but none of it appears anywhere

perhaps i might just provide a modified wireless.sh which has this fix, and also produces more logging if people are interested

Last edited by thetechnobear; 04-16-2008 at 05:31 AM.
thetechnobear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 10:58 AM   #2
serge
Enthusiast
serge has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: iRex iLiad
I used to need several attempts to connect to WAN. Changed 4 to 10 as suggested, and, so far, get connected on the first try. Thanks.
serge is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-07-2008, 01:39 PM   #3
The GreatGonzo
Old Yeller
The GreatGonzo is on a distinguished road

Device: Iliad & Kindle - The Best of Both Worlds
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetechnobear View Post
perhaps i might just provide a modified wireless.sh which has this fix, and also produces more logging if people are interested
People are interested! I think you've just found the solution to a problem that's been bugging me for weeks; same symptoms as in your case, and more often than not, I'd be unable to connect even after several tries. Glad this one's finally tackled..
The GreatGonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 04:29 PM   #4
thetechnobear
Connoisseur
thetechnobear has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.thetechnobear has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.thetechnobear has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

ok, then as promised something to make it easier

attached you will find a tar file
a) copy it to iliad
b) expand it (anywhere is ok e.g. /mnt/free/programs)
with tar xvf wpatch.tar

c) you will then find 3 scripts:

i) installpatch.sh - installs a wireless.sh with 15 retries
ii) installorig.sh - installs a copy of the original file
iii) installdebug.sh - installs a copy with debug info in it

the final one, will produce a file in /tmp called wireless.txt
this contains quite a bit of useful info for tracking problems down

note: if wireless.txt will contain your ssid, mac address and wlan password, so if you are worried about such things, think twice before posting it

d) try connecting in your 'normal' way, and the new script will be used

hope this helps someone, post if any issues

edit: for those not comfortable with shell access on iliad, ive included a zip version, unzip this on pc, transfer to iliad in your 'normal way' (e.g. via CF)
the debug version will write its file to /mnt/free/wireless.txt , which you should be able to then move back to PC.
Attached Files
File Type: tar wpatch.tar (30.0 KB, 737 views)
File Type: zip wpatch.zip (6.4 KB, 836 views)

Last edited by thetechnobear; 02-07-2008 at 04:47 PM.
Old 03-18-2008, 05:54 AM   #5
disposable
disposable began at the beginning.

Device: iLiad
Wireless Connection on iLiad

hi thetechnobear. can you elucidate the process for me please? I'm a Windows user, I don't know anything about linux, shells etc.
What do you mean by:
Quote:
the debug version will write its file to /mnt/free/wireless.txt , which you should be able to then move back to PC.
But that's not the only thing I didn't understand. Please explain the whole process. I think I read somewhere that even the unzipping of the files on Windows and then transferring to the iLiad doesn't work, is that correct, do I have to unzip on a linux machine? HELP PLEASE, I REALLY NEED TO SEE MY WIRELESS CONNECTION WORKING.
disposable is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-20-2008, 09:34 AM   #6
thetechnobear
Connoisseur

unzipping should be fine on windows.

for windows:
requirements:
i) wpatch.zip
ii) shell access, ensure you know its working already!
iii) an iLiad

process:
a) unzip wpatch.zip on windows machine
b) copy directory to iLiad... however you normally move things
shouldnt matter if you do this, by mounting iLiad, copy to usb, etc etc
as long as you can see files on iLiad afterwards
c) find files on iLiad, in wpatch directory, click on installpatch.sh

you wont see anything happen, but its its the normal timing issue it should just work

if its doesnt work, then
click on installdebug.sh

this will create a file wireless.txt called Internal Memory, copy that file to windows, and post here
(noting my comments above about passwords and ssids )
Old 04-17-2008, 05:21 AM   #7
DeGodefroi
Zealot
DeGodefroi began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX Graphite (had Illiad)
I am trying this unsuccessfully.
Using no security connects the Iliad ultra fast. WEP or WPA leads to unsuccessful.

I do not even see the wireless.txt file...where is that supposed to be located?

"this will create a file wireless.txt called Internal Memory, copy that file to windows"
?? where can I find it? /mnt/free/wireless.txt is not accessible via usb etc. And no I am not using ssh etc, since I am a windows person.

Yes I have the dev package installed since i have Adam's fbreader installed. And to verify the fullscreen iPDF has just successfully been installed.

Last edited by DeGodefroi; 04-17-2008 at 05:56 AM.
DeGodefroi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 04:41 AM   #8
thetechnobear
Connoisseur

k, ive updated the zip file,
so that the wireless.txt file is stored in /mnt/free/Documents/wireless.txt
(
this can be changed, by changing the line:
debugFile=/mnt/free/Documents/wireless.txt
to whereever you want it to go, e.g.
debugFile=/mnt/cf/Documents/wireless.txt
will put it on compact flash card.
)

so hopefully you can access that from USB
(sry i never use usb, i always debug by plugging in an ethernet cable, and using ssh)

also pls, ensure that you have clicked on installdebug.sh in the wpatch directory (on your iliad) before you attempt a connection.

btw, im surprised, you have an issue with WEP, the speed issue only happened for me with WPA, (the exchange of keys seems quite slow on some routers)

hope this helps,
Attached Files
File Type: zip wpatch.zip (6.6 KB, 648 views)
Old 05-01-2008, 05:27 PM   #9
Vanessa
French newbie
Vanessa is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.Vanessa is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.Vanessa is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.Vanessa is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.Vanessa is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.Vanessa is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.Vanessa is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.Vanessa is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.Vanessa is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.Vanessa is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.Vanessa is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

Device: iLiad v2, Sony PRS-T1, Kindle Voyage
Technobear, I also have issues with WEP. I see the networks, but the iLiad can't connect to my wifi network. I have the right passphrase, I also tried without passphrase, and it doesn't work.
I did what you advised, and althought it tried to connect longer than before, I got the "failed" message as before.
I have the impression it has something to do with the IP address not generated, but I have no idea how to solve this.
Any clue ?
Vanessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 11:27 AM   #10
thetechnobear
Connoisseur

if you suspect ip issues,
then best option is to try to NOT use dhcp, you can then enter a specific IP address, subnet mask, and gateway.
(if you do this, you will eliminate any possible IP issues, and will know its just a wifi issue or not0

if you dont know these values, and have a windows machine connected on the wireless network, then you can type
ifconfig
to display suitable values for your iLiad,
(note: make sure the IP address you use for your iliad is not in use)

Edit,
hmm not got my iliad here, not sure if iliad wifi dialog supports non-dhcp.
btw, if you use the wireless.debug script i supplied

in the text file it generates, it will say
""looking for dhcp"
then
"looking for dhcp - failed "

if the dhcp / ip address failed

as before other things to try, are to try without any encryption as a test.

also someone else here has said that Wireless N enabled routers wont work with iLiad, i cant confirm this though - as i dont have one

Last edited by thetechnobear; 05-02-2008 at 11:34 AM.
Old 05-02-2008, 11:37 AM   #11
daudi
Addict
daudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-books

Device: iRex iLiad, Psion 5MX, nokia n800
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetechnobear View Post
[...]
if you dont know these values, and have a windows machine connected on the wireless network, then you can type
ifconfig
to display suitable values for your iLiad,
(note: make sure the IP address you use for your iliad is not in use)

hope this helps
I think it is ipconfig on windows (p not f). So try this on a windows box connected to your wireless network:
Code:
ipconfig
ipconfig /all
daudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 04:23 PM   #12
Vanessa
French newbie
Vanessa is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.Vanessa is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.Vanessa is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.Vanessa is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.Vanessa is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.Vanessa is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.Vanessa is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.Vanessa is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.Vanessa is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.Vanessa is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.Vanessa is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

Technobear : I tried to use installdebug.sh, but apparently, I must have done something wrong : I could not find any Wireless.txt file.
It's not possible to use a static ip with the wifi, that's my problem. So I guess I have to use DHCP... My three computers have a static IP. I tried disabling static addresses, it didn't change anything. I also tried not to use any WEP or WPA key, same thing.
I really don't know what to do

Daudi : the ipconfig/all command gives me only the values for the computer I'm using and typing the command on. There is another computer running ATM, and I don't see its IP address on the ipconfig/all. iLiad, of course, is not here either...
Old 05-04-2008, 01:51 PM   #13
Vanessa
French newbie

Ok, so it's really a problem with my router. I went to my parents' today, and the iLiad connects perfectly to the wifi there. Strange, because I'm the one who configured everything there too, and the configuration is exactly the same as the one I have at home.
Apparently, my router doesn't like my iLiad
Old 05-05-2008, 05:42 AM   #14
thetechnobear
Connoisseur

yeah, sorting out networking issues is aways 'fun' ;o)

i had a quick look at the scripts yesteday, doesnt look like supporting static ip for wifi (from the command line) would be too tricky...
but made me wonder wether or not there is a good GTK tool that we could port to the iLiad to help people out. any ideas anyone?
Old 05-05-2008, 06:31 AM   #15
DigiDirk
Connoisseur
DigiDirk doesn't litterDigiDirk doesn't litter

Device: iLiad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanessa View Post
Ok, so it's really a problem with my router. I went to my parents' today, and the iLiad connects perfectly to the wifi there. Strange, because I'm the one who configured everything there too, and the configuration is exactly the same as the one I have at home.
Apparently, my router doesn't like my iLiad
Okay, but they do not have 3 computers with exactly the same static
IP-adresses as you have, do they?

What about an IP-adress conflict? Why don't you use DHCP, again?

Dirk

P.S.: What about switching routers with your parents, just for a test?

Last edited by DigiDirk; 05-05-2008 at 06:33 AM. Reason: added postscriptum
DigiDirk is offline   Reply With Quote