Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 07-06-2011, 06:39 PM   #1
TDF
Enthusiast
TDF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TDF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TDF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TDF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TDF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TDF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TDF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TDF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TDF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TDF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TDF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox M92, Sony PRS-505 (mostly RIP)
Pocketbook 902?

Hi All,

I've been a happy Sony PRS-505 owner for a couple of years now, but I'm thinking that it's time to upgrade to something bigger. It's kind of sad to see that there are so few choices for 9"+ readers, though.

I think I'm settling on Pocketbook 902 due to its ability to read so many different formats (and avoid the hassle of converting things like FB2 and DJVU to more common ones) and the size seems about right to be able to read larger-sized PDF files without having to use a magnifying glass. The only thing that's stopping me is that I've a read about a lot of issues with firmware, how bad is it really? Provided that I just want the reader to be able to let me read books, not brew coffee (i.e. I don't care for browsing the Internet/annotating/listening to music and other things that are better done on a computer).
TDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 04:22 AM   #2
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Hi TDF,
I guess your question will get more answers from Pocketbook users if you ask it in the Pocketbook forum.
As far as I am aware, the firmware issues are for the 603 and 903 models, where the stylus gives you the opportunity to take notes free-hand which is not yet fully implemented in the firmware - but this is not an issue with the 602 and 902 models. The browser could also do with some improving (there are two browsers - one richer in feature than the other, but does not go landscape. The other one does and has more contrast, but e.g. no bokmarks ability yet).

The 2.0.4 or the 2.0.6 are the most stable versions according to some (it depends on taste), as the latest beta firware version, 2.1.1, was introduced to allow free-hadn notetaking but has introduced a bud in the pdfviewer (while adobeviewer works fine), which no longer scrolls the pages. But again, you can sue adobeviewer. These bugs should be fixed in the next firmware version, or so we are told.

I am pretty happy with my PB903, feels sturdy, and I am quietly confident that the free-hand issues will be fixed (they have implemented it with EPUB files, though it is still slow: but there is improvement), as the new Onyx models are adding some healthy pressure to competition

But again, I am a 903 user, so 902 will be able to address your doubts more precisely, adn before taking the plunge with a nontrivial purchase if I were you I would gather all the info I could.
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-07-2011, 06:44 AM   #3
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
If you just want to read and you have books in many different formats then I think you will be satisfied with the PB902. For fb2-books you have FBReader, for pdf you can choose between Adobe Reader and pdfviewer, for epubs and other text formats you have Adobe Reader, FBReader and CoolReader.
I'm still using firmware 2.04 and it works reliably.
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 02:25 PM   #4
TDF
Enthusiast
TDF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TDF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TDF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TDF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TDF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TDF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TDF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TDF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TDF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TDF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TDF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox M92, Sony PRS-505 (mostly RIP)
Thank you for the replies. I did receive PB902 today and so far so good!
TDF is offline   Reply With Quote